1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Primary keyword pointing to wrong page

Hello,
    First time user here. I recently hired an individual on contract to do my SEO. It took about 8 months but we finally got our number one keyword term on page 1 of Google. Then out of nowhere it fell to page 3 and now page 7. This term was pointing to our Home Page and now it points to our Pricing Page for some reason. We cannot seem to figure it out. We made two changes to site during this time: One was we ironically increased number of times term appears on Home Page from 4 to 8 but the copy is super relevant. And we redirected some broken backlinks. We since reverted the backlinks in case that was the issue but no change yet and we removed this term almost completely from Pricing Page. Any ideas???
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by David Lewis
    Hello,
    It took about 8 months but we finally got our number one keyword term on page 1 of Google.
    Then out of nowhere it fell to page 3 and now page 7.
    We made two changes to site during this time:
    One was we ironically increased number of times term appears on Home Page from 4 to 8 but the copy is super relevant.
    And we redirected some broken backlinks. We since reverted the backlinks in case that was the issue but no change
    we removed this term almost completely from Pricing Page.
    Any ideas???
    Yes I do. In the future if you do something and it is bad undo it. Learn to undo your errors.

Revert the content back to the way it was, I mean back the way it was when it was on Page 1.
    Content on home page, broken links, and undo any changes to pricing page.

What I think probably happened is this.....
    Your rankings are good and you decide to try to increase them further by increasing the number of times you include your term. What has probably happens is the this change in increased usage has made the site in Googles eyes "Lower Quality" hence the drop in rankings.

Redirecting the broken backlinks were probably of no value because of Penguins possible influence. Meaning you changed them back and no change,

Also you went and changed another page, which was the same as before but ranking better, why ?... The mere fact that you lost traction in rankings on your home page means you did it wrong. So why go change another page in the hopes it will rank your home page.

Again back out all changes then test one thing at a time. My opinion remains the same, with the increased usage of that particular term you have lowered the quality of your page and Google chose another page on your site it considered better quality.

Good Luck Mate

Comments on this post

• Chedders agrees
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Aug 25th, 2017 at 03:04 PM.
  5. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

There is a fine balance between having a page all about X and a spammy page. Repeating a keyword more times does not make it more relevant, this is where synonyms can come in plus you talk about the keyword using words associated with that keyword. So if for example your keyword was dentist then you would expect to see other words like teeth, crowns, fillings etc

Writing really good SEO content is a skill on its own, its something I fail at so often I will hire a copywriter, Often I will write it out and then hand it over to be corrected. This is not just about making it grammar perfect (which is also important) but making sure its not over optimised.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  7. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I'm not sure that I agree with your investigative work here guys. He went from page 1 to page 8 because they
    ...made two changes to site during this time: One was we ironically increased number of times term appears on Home Page from 4 to 8 but the copy is super relevant. And we redirected some broken backlinks.
    That's a huge penalty for a seemingly minor offense don'tcha' think? I think they got dinged for spam links pointing to the website.So David Lewis, is your hired SEO person also link building?
  9. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Yeap, there could also be other causes for this drop, a google update for example. Or links coming to the site being devalued so the site has now lost page rank.

But if you made changes to a site and then saw a drop that would be the first place I would start looking.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  11. No Profile Picture

Thanks. I feel that we did a pretty good job on writing the content and we do have synonyms and other related terms, but I do agree now that we might have over optimized it.
  13. No Profile Picture

No, our SEO guy has not been link building yet. We reverted the links so they are now back to the way they were. I'm not an expert but we felt if this was the issue it would have corrected itself by now. We actually ranked on Page 1 for the Home Page over the weekend, but now we're back to Page 6 according to 3 different sources. I think we should put all pages back to exactly the way we had them and see if that fixes it.
  15. No Profile Picture

Thanks for all the comments. I'm going to recommend that we back out everything we did to the site during this period of time and see what happens. I will reply back in a few a days on an update.
  17. No Profile Picture

That's likely not good enough to be honest. If your keyword is pointing to a sub-page, it would mean that your homepage is not indexed. I would agree with Kernel Panic here, being over optimised and redirecting broken links are not going to cause this level of de-indexing. (Unless you created a redirect loop maybe, but that would crash the site).

Have you been doing any work with Google Search Console by any chance?
  19. Digital Marketing

Would you mind sharing the URL? If you don't want it public you can PM me
  21. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    Would you mind sharing the URL? If you don't want it public you can PM me
    My url is patlive.com.
  23. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by DublinSEO
    That's likely not good enough to be honest. If your keyword is pointing to a sub-page, it would mean that your homepage is not indexed. I would agree with Kernel Panic here, being over optimised and redirecting broken links are not going to cause this level of de-indexing. (Unless you created a redirect loop maybe, but that would crash the site).

Have you been doing any work with Google Search Console by any chance?
    yes we have done work in Search Console. Our Home Page has periodically shown up so I'm pretty sure it is being indexed.
  25. Digital Marketing

Originally Posted by David Lewis
    My url is patlive.com.
    Yeah, you have 960 links (backlinkwatch.com), most of which Google would consider link spam. I think that's your problem, not that you added 4 keywords to the homepage.
  27. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    Yeah, you have 960 links (backlinkwatch.com), most of which Google would consider link spam. I think that's your problem, not that you added 4 keywords to the homepage.
    Okay - I'll look into that now, but we have not added any backlinks in the past year other than an ad or sponsored content.