Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Are press releases like prweb good for SEO and traffic?

I have just started to learn about building backlinks and how to use ahrefs and other tools to examine competitors' backlinks profiles.
    I see that many have prweb and other press release website backlinks.

I have read articles both pro and con for doing this. First, it looks expensive on the con side. Also on the con side I have read that it is not
    as helpful as it used to be? On the pro side I have read that it is still a good technique.

In my case it would be for my computer consulting company. I am trying to understand what would be good things to send out Press releases
    on, and how often. My business is new, but I was an IT Director for 10 years - can I announce that I have launched my company.
    Similarly, to announce the start of certain new offerings - managed services packages, free networking assessment, etc.

The site that appears to be best is prweb, maybe newswire?
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Genuine news is fine, your local newspapers may run a story if you contact them as well. Many have online versions so that can be a source.
    However your correct that PR used to be something many SEO agencies took advantage of and if written well was quite successful, now this tactic is less used as many of the news sites who pick up the story are worthless and a lot of people just spammed the services so now they are very much less trusted.
    I am not saying avoid them but only use if you really have something interesting for people to read. Personally I would stick with local services as thats where you will be wanting most of your business anyway.

Comments on this post

• KnowOneSpecial agrees : Excellent advice
    IMHO
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the advice. But what is "interesting to read"? To me it's interesting that I started my company after 10 years as IT Director, and what I bring to the table in the industry and hope to accomplish. To me it's interesting that I am adopting a particular RMM tool to help my clients and the reasons why. That I have partnered with Sherweb to resell Microsoft Navision, that I have become a Microsoft Partner. These are some of the things that I think make sense to write about. I'm not trying to plug myself here, really, I'm just trying to list out things that I would plan on writing about to get feedback about whether they are genuinely interesting or news - since I haven't done it I don't know. I would want to write about how these things bring value to clients - like why I chose a particular RMM tool. I will take the advice to go with local services, but while I want local clients, I can do remote support tech support or support an ERP client nationwide. So to me it makes logical sense to do, but I have no experience/history with doing it. I guess the main takeaway for me is that I will really try to make it interesting - not just as self promotion, think of myself as an enthusiastic evangelist. Let me know your feedback. Ty.
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Do not necessarily write about yourself, but more so about your company ItServiceGroup. Then give yourself the credit behind the scenes as the CEO.

Tell a story, Do not give the "Short Version Of The 10 Years In The Making".

I sometimes ask clients to give me a few paragraphs of how they see their company, about them self, and tell them I am going to use this to create an about page.

Interview yourself, but don't write it as such. Explain why your services are what they need, and why your company or you're qualified. People like to hear and know what you can do it you present it correctly.

.You're still taking about yourself, and you're selling yourself but as the company.
    If you have never failed in your life, you have never achieved anything Noteworthy !
  9. No Profile Picture

Thanks! This is extremely helpful. I will take a shot at writing something. What I meant is that I want to make an announcement about the formation of the company, and provide a summary of the company's services
    and capabilities. I can write in the third-person, and talk BRIEFLY about my capabilities and what I bring to the table - it's odd/uncomfortable for me to do self-promotion, but I think that if my capabilities are strong enough then it is "newsworthy", I hope. From the "our team" page of my site, here is my bio. If you don't mind I would appreciate feedback on this - negative or positive, areas to improve. Thanks.

r. Schlesinger is a hands on IT Professional with 30+ years of diverse IT experience. He is highly accomplished in multiple areas including Software Development, ERP Systems Implementations, and Infrastructure Management. He is a results oriented, enthusiastic team leader.
    He holds certifications in multiple mid-market ERP Systems, including certifications with Accountmate and SAGE ERP. He is an SAP Business One Certified Implementation Consultant with expertise through SAP Business One version 9.x. He is also a hands-on developer with deep experience and knowledge with the SAP Business One Software SDK, and has developed numerous addons for SAP B1 using C# and Visual Studio
    He has served as the lead or hands-on technical resource for dozens of systems projects dating back to the mid 1990s, for a wide range of clients, from small to mid-size firms to large enterprises. These projects include ERP and Accounting System implementations, custom software development projects, and networking and infrastructure projects.
    From 2010 to 2017 he served as the IT Director for CBA Indusries where he managed a complex environment comprised of 250 endpoints (Servers, Desktops, Routers, Switches and Firewalls, etc) across seven sites connected via WAN and VPN, with redundant firewalls and telecom connections. He managed complex virtualized environments consisting of a mix of Vmware and Microsoft Hyper-V, Microsoft Azure and Amazon AWS, as well as thin client computing and VDI implementations.
    Because of the breadth of his experience he is uniquely positioned to serve the needs of growing small to mid-size companies in need of guidance with respect to an IT strategy that is in alignment with their company’s business needs and processes.
  11. No Profile Picture

I suppose I asked for that.

Ok, Mate I was giving you kindly advice. That was not an invitation to exploit the forum, LOL. But I will say you got the right idea, but give it a twist. You got to write for what people want.
    Originally Posted by ITServiceGroup
    He managed complex virtualized environments consisting of a mix of Vmware and Microsoft Hyper-V, Microsoft Azure and Amazon AWS
    Maybe say it differently, perhaps

I mean you and ITServiceGroup one and the same right ? What you have is like a resume. Sell your business, you are an asset of your business. !

ITServiceGroup has the experience to managed complex virtualized environments consisting of a mix of Vmware and Microsoft Hyper-V, Microsoft Azure and Amazon AWS.
    We've 7 years of proven success doing this. We specialize in serving the IT needs of small to mid-size companies with proven IT Service Solutions with room for growth.

You and I we think differently. Just saying, Just my two cents of how I would present things. Understand this is just off the hip and just to give you an IDEA of how to present the content
    If you have never failed in your life, you have never achieved anything Noteworthy !
  13. No Profile Picture

sorry, I don't mean to "exploit the forum". I really don't know the protocol, what is asking too much, etc.; I just joined here. I did wonder whether this was asking a bit much, but wasn't sure - I realize people give free advice, here but can't "do my job for me". I guess it's a fine line. If it's something you should be paid for and goes beyond free advice, just LMK. And this page was from my bio, not other content about the company, so I guess I should refocus on the other pages which are about the company's capabilities, and only indirectly mention me. I think I am a good writer, but not necessarily a good marketing writer.
  15. No Profile Picture

LOL... No I asked and you answered, the content isn't linked.

Yep, all my advice is free. Sometimes I might suggest you outsource work, but my advice is free.

Also you're really asking how to promote your business, not performing the work for someone else. Because of that there will be quite a few here that are willing to help with "Good Solid Advice".

Take Chedders advice and consider it carefully, follow it. Also read the content listed in his sig. They will help you as well.
  17. Moderator
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Think as a journalist.
    What stories are they looking for?

Do they care about a random IT company with no wow factor? Nope

Do they care about an IT company which have created the solution to end world hunger? Certainly

You need to have something which makes them think "wow, our readers will love this"

Sorry but the Journalist will fall asleep reading this:

r. Schlesinger is a hands on IT Professional with 30+ years of diverse IT experience. He is highly accomplished in multiple areas including Software Development, ERP Systems Implementations, and Infrastructure Management. He is a results oriented, enthusiastic team leader.
    He holds certifications in multiple mid-market ERP Systems, including certifications with Accountmate and SAGE ERP. He is an SAP Business One Certified Implementation Consultant with expertise through SAP Business One version 9.x. He is also a hands-on developer with deep experience and knowledge with the SAP Business One Software SDK, and has developed numerous addons for SAP B1 using C# and Visual Studio
    He has served as the lead or hands-on technical resource for dozens of systems projects dating back to the mid 1990s, for a wide range of clients, from small to mid-size firms to large enterprises. These projects include ERP and Accounting System implementations, custom software development projects, and networking and infrastructure projects.
    From 2010 to 2017 he served as the IT Director for CBA Indusries where he managed a complex environment comprised of 250 endpoints (Servers, Desktops, Routers, Switches and Firewalls, etc) across seven sites connected via WAN and VPN, with redundant firewalls and telecom connections. He managed complex virtualized environments consisting of a mix of Vmware and Microsoft Hyper-V, Microsoft Azure and Amazon AWS, as well as thin client computing and VDI implementations.
    Because of the breadth of his experience he is uniquely positioned to serve the needs of growing small to mid-size companies in need of guidance with respect to an IT strategy that is in alignment with their company’s business needs and processes.
    Why would they care?

The press love
    1. Controversy
    2. Humour
    3. "New" inventions

The new inventions thing in tech is pretty difficult. So that leaves you with humour / controversy.

For example, there's a visual studio plugin which farts every time you make an error. Sounds silly right? But I guarantee in its day, with a press release it would've got attention. I would personally think long and hard about something, use your skills - and make something!

A good press release will give you exposure, mentions, and potentially (natural) links. So yes, of course it could do you lots of good. But, finding a reason for the press to give two hoots about you is another matter.
    Last edited by matt1966; May 7th, 2019 at 12:12 PM.
  19. Digital Marketing

What you wrote is the most uninteresting thing I have ever read. I get it, you're an IT guy, not a marketing expert. Consider hiring someone to run your marketing, you go run your business.
  21. No Profile Picture

thanks. I will take Chedders advice and yours too. You guys seem to be the main gurus around here.
  23. No Profile Picture

lol, good thing I am thick skinned and more interested in doing business than worrying if my feelings get hurt. If you ever have insomnia I can write some more copy for you . Seriously, thanks for the feedback. I will keep working on it.
  25. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    What you wrote is the most uninteresting thing I have ever read. I get it, you're an IT guy, not a marketing expert. Consider hiring someone to run your marketing, you go run your business.
    Lol, same reply as I made to matt1966, good thing I am more interested in getting business than worrying about getting my feelings hurt. Seriously though, how do you make IT interesting? It's interesting to me, and if I was the one looking for the services I provide this is what I'd want to hear. I can check into whether there are marketing experts who specialize in IT marketing, have a track record of success with it.
  27. Digital Marketing

Originally Posted by ITServiceGroup
    how do you make IT interesting?
    Maybe write more about your customers? How you helped them? You saved them 65% on their IT bill and upgraded their equipment!... or something?
  29. Moderator
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Although KP knows what he's talking about, I'd personally go a different route. The "I saved my client this much per year..." is a bit clique to me, and I just don't see any editor being like "woaaaah, ****, this is funny, controversial, or something our users will really love and find interesting".

Another big hitter in my book is statistics. Potentially create a survey of some sort, use SurveyMonkey or something and try to get juicy info.

There's a reason why so many headings in the press say something like "Research shows 70% of males love pink socks" and that's because press love stuff like this (data, facts). Whichever viewpoint they have, they'll take those figures and manipulate them to their audiences taste. I know it's hard being an IT guy, you just need to think creatively (but relevant to your niche). You then hope that the sources cite/link to your data.

The more boring your industry the harder it gets. Might be an idea to actually ask a PR person, PR is a niche in itself, they'll have experienced what does and doesn't work.

Curious, IT is a very wide field. What do you actually do best? What does your business focus on?
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: