1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Arrow Is this a positive sign

Hi guys,

I have a pretty old site that had some negative SEO done against and I have done disavow etc bits where I could but it never really recovered.

However, I recently added some new articles (been guilty of not updating content), and the

Search Console -> Queries

Are showing that I have some impressions best being around position 34 - 45 all the way 250. In total over 37 different keywords in this week from 8 articles.

I also have some longer tails on page 1 but not really money keywords.

Would you say it is a good indicator that site could potentially rank these pages better but it is just matter of optimizing now the pages and adding more content and links?

What would be a simple yet effective way to see if the keywords would move and what are the timeframes these days to see movement?

Thank you so much!
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Its a bit of a too broad a question to give you a proper answer I am afraid.
    But optimizing your pages would help, try running a page or 2 though my free tool in the footer and see how its doing. I am not saying if you fix all the issues it may find will shoot you to #1 but it would be a step in the right direction.

As for changes you make and timings, I tend to wait a full 6 weeks to see its full impact. of course you can see movement far quicker than that but 6 weeks tend to allow everything to settle down and find your new position.

Comments on this post

• Editor agrees
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog
  5. No Profile Picture

Thank you for your reply, Chedders.

I tried a couple of pages and looks like, short titles, lack of alt tags and descriptions is something to look at. Not sure if it is making big difference these days, gone the 2005 tactics of stuffning keywords...

Partly my question was broad as it has been a long time me doing anything in the SEO space, so perhaps there's like basic guidelines or "feel" e.g. if you have impressions on page 5 then couple internal links, some page fixes could do a nice boost to estimate if site has potential to rank for some stronger keywords?

I am probably a bit confused with these limit 20 penalties and a like, so not sure if it's just in my head or my current positions simply show current strength of the content.
  7. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

I am probably a bit confused with these limit 20 penalties
    I too am confused by that statement

Alt tags are still very much used but your right you should not keyword stuff, describing the image in a factual way can have quite good benefits still. It also helps a lot with image search where some good traffic can be gained.
    Looking at your link structure can also have huge impact still. So look at reducing links and getting page speed to its lowest, this helps with crawl rate so things tend to happen a bit quicker for you as google will crawl more of your site if its fast.
    Small tweeks here and there overall can make a lot of difference so even if something seem not worth it they do add up.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog
  9. No Profile Picture

Thanks again for replying.

The "limit 20" aka filter preventing to rank higher than specific listing. Perhaps it is all unnecessary fuss in my head.

I was mentioning this as all my positions in search console where below 30 all the way 250, hence thought maybe this is somehow showing that all these "vi...gra" links that were spammed to my site are keeping me back.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by Editor
    hence thought maybe this is somehow showing that all these "vi...gra" links that were spammed to my site are keeping me back.
    Do a disavow on them.... the only way to be sure....