1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Please help with data mapping fields and SEO

Good Evening,

I am hoping that someone can give me some guidance. I am in the process of building a new website with a company who have given me this enormous file that is titled data mapping field names. I currently have an Etsy shop with 1055 products and am trying to create a website. I have done a ton of research. I have spent hours and hours of research because the company has been terrible at explaining how and what to enter for each field. I am hoping that someone can provide some guidance on what and how to enter for some of the fields that are giving issues:

1) Anchor Text

I was told to just copy my product title for this field. Is this the best practice as far as SEO goes. If not, this seems like an enormous amount of additional work if I have to create additional content that has to be different from the product title. Would I be penalized by google if I just copied that content?

What is the recommendation on what to enter for this field and how to enter it?

2) Is this correct for the field titled 'Product Title'? :

Blue Opal Beads | Owyhee Opal | Faceted Round | Company Name

I've repeated the word opal twice. Is that a good idea? The reason is that the first one is my primary keyword and second one (owyhee opal) is my secondary keyword.

3) Let's say I have 20 different listings that are all Peruvian Opal beads that are all the same shape but they all have to have different pages because the color is different on each one and the size is different.

So let's say I have these products:

Peruvian Opal beads that are round shape and size 2mm, 4mm, 6mm, 8mm or even the same size 8mm but needs new page because the color is different slightly.

How do I create different 'Product Titles' if my primary, secondary keywords would be the same for all?

Can I have this as a title for all of them but just change the size on the product title? Would this be considered duplicated content?

Peruvian Opal | Blue Opal | 2mm Round | Company Name
    Peruvian Opal | Blue Opal | 4mm Round | Company Name
    Peruvian Opal | Blue Opal | 6mm Round | Company Name
    Peruvian Opal | Blue Opal | 8mm Round | Company Name

How do I write a different title for two that are 2mm in size but need different page because the material visually is different?

4) There is a column on the data mapping file that is called 'Additional description"

I wanted to put a boilerplate text on every page that say something along the lines of:

Note: All bead, pendant, connector and clasp sizes and strand lengths are approximate.* Gemstones are unique and can vary from one to the next.* We will do our best to send you one that looks as close to the image as possible but it is not guaranteed due to the nature of gemstones.

However this will be considered duplicate content. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this matter. It is content that customers need to see but I do not want to get penalized for duplicate content.

Thank you kindly to all who can offer any guidance. I am dealing with a company that is providing very little direction in hopes that I will hire them for their services so I am flying blind this this awful data mapping fields file to build the website. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Sophie
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Hi Sophie

You seem to be asking almost every possible question on how to optimize a page for a given product, with a product that has many options....
    color
    size
    shape
    etc etc....

You need to examine a few sites....sites that are examples of what you are attempting to create.

Go look at Amazon and look at there product pages, especially for products that have multiple similar items... iphone ear buds for example.

Also Chedders and Thomas Harvey have created a website that is a shinning example of what you want to create. I suggest you go look at that site too....
    zebo.co.uk

Examine each page carefully, notice the page titles, page descriptions, product names and such. Spend a few hours studying the sites, you will then get a better idea
    of what your task entails.
  5. No Profile Picture

Hi there KnowOneSpecial,

I appreciate your response but none of the information you provided was really useful. I have spent quite a bit of time trying to figure this stuff. You would be amazed the hours I've put in researching this stuff. But when you are not in this line of work, it is difficult trying to figure it out by looking at other websites. You really don't know who is following best SEO practices relating to this type of information. How does studying other websites tell me what and anchor title is??? Websites do not have that information visible so your advice is unhelpful.

You mentioned Cheddars and Thomas Harvey with no links. When you do a search for those companies, you get a range of websites with similar names. Do you have specific links?

Sending me to zero.co.uk is completely unhelpful because all that website does is pull listings from hundreds of different companies like Ebay, Amazon, etc.

I have spent 20 plus hours on this stuff which is why I am desperate and came to this website. This is not my line of work and so it is hard to know what and how to enter this information. I had very specific questions and sending a reply telling me to research and spend a few hours studying other sites is completely unhelpful.
  7. SeoRaptor
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

If I were you I would group these products on 1 page with products attributes.

Product page for OPAL then adding attributes size, color, shape, ..

or maybe you could keep some products separated
    OPAL +SHAPE and then adding size color in attributes

This mainly depends on your keywords research results, but if you can group them efficiently, you will save yourself a lot of work, you will reduce duplicate content and product pages will likely join all the incomings link getting more authority.

I never used etsy but if it doesn't offer this solution maybe you should take a look at magento and prestashop.

By the way

You mentioned Cheddars and Thomas Harvey
    zebo.co.uk is not a good example at all in this situation... this project is totally different than what sophieadams wants to achieve
    Last edited by Pierre Benneton; Feb 9th, 2017 at 06:47 PM.
    Owner of Bennetonable | AdWords certified - Analytics qualified
    On-Page SEO Cheat Sheet | "My opinions are my own. Feel free to disagree & think above the fold."
  9. No Profile Picture

Thank you for the recommendation Pierre Benneton. Unfortunately, because gemstones are natural, the colors are very unique from one batch to the next. I need different product pages because they can look very different. I guess I could have different pictures but it would be difficult having one product page for that many items.

I am not using Etsy for this. I already have an Etsy shop but am using the data from that shop to create a website. I am using a company similar to Magento but they require I fill out this data mapping fields file that has a zillion columns that will be used to create the website. Some of the titles of the data mapping fields like "Anchor Text", it is not obvious what needs to be entered for that information.

Thank you again for your suggestion.
  11. SeoRaptor

Can you name the company your are using, I'll try and download a product CSV file to help you out, an anchor text is the text that appears on a link

Code:
    < a href="#linkurl" alt="title of your link"> YOUR ANCHOR TEXT </a>
    If I don't know where this anchor text is used it is very hard for me to tell you what you should write.

Regarding your title, make them relevant for the user that's the more important.
    But I'm having doubt about duplicate content issues..... not sure you will be able to write unique content everytime. I'll have to fink about that...
    Last edited by Pierre Benneton; Feb 9th, 2017 at 07:04 PM.
    On-Page SEO Cheat Sheet | "My opinions are my own. Feel free to disagree & think above the fold."
  13. No Profile Picture

Thank you very much Pierre! Your help is much appreciated.

Yes, here is a link to the file and the company name is on the file:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...b?output=html#

There are multiple columns I'm struggling with.

Anchor Text
    Meta Description and Meta Keywords
    General Image Tags

Any help/guidance you can provide would be grateful appreciated.
  15. SeoRaptor

Not very clear document indeed, I understand your frustration when facing these kinds of Mapping files.

From what it seems they use the name ANCHOR TEXT for what would be the product name and they use the PRODUCT TITLE for the page title, would be much easier to understand it this way.

weirdnamefortitle.jpg

Hope this answers your question.
  17. No Profile Picture

Yes, it certainly is not a very clear document. I am beyond frustrated and stressed about this.

Thanks for the suggestion. But I am still not clear on how to create an anchor text that would be different from Product title. It is confusing and doesn't make sense.

If my Product title is: Peruvian Opal | Blue Opal | 2mm Round | Company Name

What do I enter for the anchor text for this example?

Many thanks again!
  19. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by sophieadams
    How does studying other websites tell me what and anchor title is??? Websites do not have that information visible so your advice is unhelpful.
    Sorry, but I completely disagree with you..

First I do not mean to be rude.. but you have to learn to look behind the curtain. Meaning you need to open your google browser, then navigate to a page on any site that is a major retailer, (I used Amazon and Zebo.co.uk as examples because they are product websites. ) Now after you have navigated to a product page on retailer site you need to "Right-Click" the page and choose "View Page Source" or Ctrl+U. Then Google will display the page source that you can readily look at and see shinning examples of your questions answered, here is an example of Anchor Text !

Edited to add >> Also try when you right click the page, the "inspect" option. Takes you to a split screen with the rendered page, and the source code in another frame, HIGHLIGHTED !

the title is "Read more about failed elephant evacuationj"
    the anchor text is "Evacuation Crumbles Under Jumbo load"

Here is the reference url for the above pict. https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/H33.html A good read for you. You also need some reference material on how SEO works...

I suggest you search Google for this term "seo in practice" for you it will be a very good start and read.

Seo is more than just looking at the Rendered Page of a Website in a browser. It also includes looking at the html source code to see how things are done, and to find errors and correct them. This is how you find and fix seo problems on a site.
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Feb 9th, 2017 at 09:31 PM. Reason: spelling correction
  21. No Profile Picture

Dear KnowOne Special,

Thank you for the feedback and suggestions. I really appreciate it. I will look at all of the information you've provided.

Have a wonderful day.