1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Penalized by Google, or bad SEO?

Hello everyone,

I'm new here, but am looking for some meaningful insights into SEO strategy and techniques. My SEO knowledge is a little outdated, especially after I was reading the new MOZ report on search algorithms, saying how H1 tags matter relatively little compared to the relevance score of the page. I plan to continue surfing around this forum, it looks like I could learn a lot.

Right now I'm working on a site for a client that has a relatively large pool of competitors. This one. "Psychotherapist Toronto", "Therapist Toronto", and "Psychotherapy Toronto" are the desired keywords, but we have not been able to achieve placement on the first page for the past few months.

Here's a few current techniques I have employed:

- ALT tags on images
    - Placement of keywords and synonyms on frontpage
    - Building links with business directory websites, blog posts
    - Linking social media (Facebook, Twitter, Youtube)

The real thing that I'd LOVE for someone to help me understand, is exactly WHY over the past year the site has gone from the first page on google results to the third+. This is despite MOZ analytics illustrating the site as being very comparable to the competition. Do you think the site is being penalized for recently solved 404 errors, blocked CSS and JS assets, or has there been drastic changes that may have affected the rank?

All advice will be well taken.
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Hi

Just off to bed so its a bit late to look in detail, but I did notice something which may help a little.
    You have an address in the footer and on the menu. You could add schema to these LocalBusiness - schema.org which may help a bit on the location part. I have not checked but if you have not already done so you can add geotargeting tags into as a meta tag as well.

If I get chance in the morning I will try and look a little deeper for you.
  5. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I'm new here, but am looking for some meaningful insights into SEO strategy and techniques. My SEO knowledge is a little outdated
    nothing has really changed, you still need good content, a good site structure and links/pr to push your rankings.

Comments on this post

• Ann Smarty agrees : Exactly. No need to overthink
  7. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Morning

I had a better look this morning, one of the things I did was turn off graphics. To be honest there is not a lot of content on the site once graphics are removed. When I say content I mean just text. Yes there is bits here and there but not a lot for google to understand you own this niche.
    You say you want to rank for Psychotherapist Toronto but I dont see any content regarding Toronto other that it mentioned in your address . That term does not appear anywhere on the site so therefore you are relying on google to put the 2 words together. You would need to work this phrase into some of the important elements of the page. For example your current home page title is
    Psychotherapy Toronto | Dr. Robert T. Muller - Psychologist

but you say you want to rank for Psychotherapist Toronto so why are you not including it there ?

Your site page description is
    Toronto psychologist, trauma psychotherapist. Therapy bestseller: Trauma & the Avoidant Client, Dr. Robert T. Muller, PhD
    Again I dont see it there either

Your H1 tag is an image, why ? Its a image of text
    the alt text on that is
    Psychotherapy Toronto
    Close but still not the term you are targeting. I know google use synonyms but you are hoping they understand the 2 terms are interchangeable.

other header tags seem a bit wild to me, for example the H2 tag is
    Navigation
    In the Media
    Facebook
    Twitter

I dont see the relevance here to support the target phrase.

Although google state the dont use shema as ranking factor I would definitely look at adding it around the address to help google know exactly where you service is located. I dont believe having a google map on there is sufficient enough signal to that is your bricks and motor address.

You need more content regard Toronto to drive home thats where the business is located, If you have not already add it to google places or what ever they are calling it nowadays, How about a page for instructions on how to travel to the bricks and motor address, public transport, walking, driving etc etc. Anything to give you a valid reason to talk about that address and location.

Comments on this post

• Will-O-The-Wisp agrees
    Last edited by Chedders; Feb 7th, 2016 at 02:48 AM.
  9. My views are my own ;)
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I don't see any signs of a penalty here:

...rather lack of internal and external signals: Too little content for the most part (as Chedders mentioned).

The lack of references is obvious too. I'd work on growing the authority of Dr. Robert T. Muller: Get him interviewed by (local) media outlets, provide quotes for newspapers on psychology issues, visiting / keynoting local events... Things like that
    Everything will be ok in the end

If it's not ok, it's not the end
  11. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

thanks everyone

Alright. I really appreciate all the advice. So for now I will:

- have my client reword some of the content with these considerations, definitely with the two words being mentioned together.

- RE the H1 tag on the image, theres a difficulty in coding that in wordpress to have it as text and not an image. I am not sure how I would do that. I will change the alt text to Psychotherapist Toronto. I will also try to get some relevant h2 tags.

- change the title and description will be looked into further. I know there are some considerations that have to be taken into account including the fact that, though he practices psychotherapy as a clinical psychologist, he is not a registered psychotherapist. Complicated for me when I have to account for this.