#1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Newbie
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0

    PDFs as duplicate content


    I'm a relative beginner when it comes to SEO - I know the basics.

    I work for a headhunting agency and we have a number of sites. Basically, some of our live job roles and case studies will be relevant on a number of our sites and I am very cautious of duplicating content as we are currently doing very well on Google.

    If I create PDFs for our case studies and job roles, will Google realise this is non-malicious content and not an attempt to manipulate traffic? Or will this be treated as duplicate content and affect our ratings?

    I realise that putting a noindex on them would prevent any penalties but this isn't ideal and would only be a last resort if completely necessary.

    Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4,515
    Rep Power
    1985
    Why is it not ideal?

    Simply put them all in a single folder, then noindex the folder using robots.txt
  4. #3
  5. No Profile Picture
    Newbie
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by jsteele823
    Why is it not ideal?

    Simply put them all in a single folder, then noindex the folder using robots.txt
    If I was to go down this route, I would have to noidnex the case studies/job roles on our main site.

    Which would surely have an affect on our rankings?

    Would you advise for or against using PDFs?

    Thank you.
  6. #4
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4,515
    Rep Power
    1985
    I thought the issue at hand was concern over creating duplicate content. That implies this content exists somewhere else outside the PDF. Logocally I assumed all you were trying to do was offer a formatted, printable version of any already existing page.

    If the content is different than that which is already on your website, then no need to noindex them. If it is repeating what is on your site word for word, then I would noindex them.
  8. #5
  9. No Profile Picture
    Newbie
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by jsteele823
    I thought the issue at hand was concern over creating duplicate content. That implies this content exists somewhere else outside the PDF. Logocally I assumed all you were trying to do was offer a formatted, printable version of any already existing page.

    If the content is different than that which is already on your website, then no need to noindex them. If it is repeating what is on your site word for word, then I would noindex them.
    Yes you're 100% right - I may have confused things with my last post.

    I would prefer not to noindex any pages so I'm asking if converting the content to PDFs over multiple sites will still be penalised as duplicate content?
  10. #6
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    380
    Rep Power
    248
    Originally Posted by Natone3005
    Yes you're 100% right - I may have confused things with my last post.

    I would prefer not to noindex any pages so I'm asking if converting the content to PDFs over multiple sites will still be penalised as duplicate content?
    The PDFs would technically be duplicate content. However, it's fairly low risk since it's just between a PDF and a HTML page. Offering the PDF for users as a printable service is a great idea, but I would noindex them, if not for the sake of preventing duplicate content issues, then to keep users in the funnel. You would want a user to land on the HTML page instead because the HTML is where you have your template so users can navigate between pages.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: Mar 10th, 2011, 04:08 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jun 30th, 2010, 11:57 PM
  3. Duplicate content, but wanted duplicate content?
    By newseoman in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Apr 1st, 2009, 07:28 AM
  4. Printer-friendly PDFs and duplicate content
    By norfstar in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:46 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: Oct 19th, 2005, 02:14 AM

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo