1. Entrepreneur
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Chadders is spot on additionally you can offer a free workshop or series of classes on photography related subjects can have a big impact on your website rankings, especially for local search terms.

Once you have the class or classes organised, a simple press release mailed out (email and post of course) to all of the media outlets, your local chamber of commerce and any other organization that helps to spread the word about upcoming events.

Most of these places will also have websites so when they publish the information in print along with your website URL for more information, they will also be putting it on their websites as a backlink. As the event draws closer, be sure to invite the press to attend as well and you may even be able to squeeze out another couple of backlinks when they do the write up on the actual class. Google loves these types of links because they canít be faked. That makes them very high quality and much more valuable than other links which are easier to get.

I have taken this from 5 SEO Link Building Strategies For Photographers
    Last edited by Prof.stan; Apr 3rd, 2017 at 09:38 AM.
    You do your business I do mine because you are you and I am I If we meet it is nice.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

well I finally managed to get one article up here:
    leonardo-studios.com/portfolio/how-to-choose-a-wedding-photographer

My website layout isnt really geared for blogs though so I may need to redesign the page so the layout works a little better!

Another question I had, is there any value at all in buying domain names that have my keywords in, for example if I purchased peckfortoncastleweddings.com and had maybe a little blog on there which then linked to my main photography site. Is there value at all in those domains?
  5. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Google don't mark you on design as such so that's not a major concern as far as SEO is concerned.

As for your question regarding buying other domains, this is a trap many fall into and it fails I am afraid. What you are effectively saying is your thinking of creating a private blog network (PBN) Google are are the hunt for these as they can manipulate your search results so they have been really good at detecting them and taking action. In all honestly its not a route to go down.
    The benefits of having your keywords in the domain is minimal but you are opening yourself up to a load of risk with your main money site.

On a slightly different note, if you take Dunchurch Park Hotel as an example, I was struggling to find out anything about the venue and where it is from your pages. It would be perfectly valid to create a page and publish details of where it is and contact details for the venue. I did find you say "Dunchurch Park Hotel near Rugby" but that was about it. As your visiting these locations you could use the opportunity (with the owners permission) to spend a little time doing some general venue photography for posting on your site. I am not saying you should try and compete with the venture's own site but its a good opportunity to gain extra content for your site. Including a google map of the venue would be a good idea and using schema for their address may help in geo locating your services for a that area. Once the page has been created you can then approach the venue to see if they would link to you as a official photographer for that venue. Just some off the cuff thoughts.

Comments on this post

• Prof.stan agrees
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

thanks for all your suggestions again, I have added a bit more content and improved the SEO for this page:

leonardo-studios.co.uk/portfolio/peckforton-castle-cheshire

I included links to the castles website (after doing a bit of research regarding copyright, it seems the EU Court of Justice ruled it is legal to do this so no worries there!)

Seems to be killing it on your Page Explorer and other SEO scoring sites I have checked , now back to fixing those pesky image sizes again!
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

oops linked the wrong one

leonardo-studios.com/portfolio/peckforton-castle-cheshire

Thats another thing I need to fix, my .co.uk domains are not included in my HTTPS certificate, will pop and email over to the hosts to fix it for me !
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

ok so i have taken peoples advice on board, I have reached out to a few bloggers and got an article published (their DA is 39 so should help)

heres the link Why Finding The Right Photographer Is Crucial For Your Wedding - Futures

Do I need to get a link to my root domain for it to count as a back link or is it ok linking to other pages on my site?
  13. Dinosaur

No it does not need to link to your home page. linking to inner pages can help them rank as well. (called deep linking)
    Maybe more importantly for you the site you gained the link from has around 23,000 users a month, thats a lot of people that potentially will see your advert / posting.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

thanks, for the Info I will keep up networking with some more bloggers, I found one with a DA of 48 that is interested in blogging for me so hopefully I can spread some more link juice to some pages that I want to rank better

Is there a formula for determining how much link juice is spread to your pages depending on the sources DA score?
  17. Dinosaur

Again your missing what DA is about. DA = Domain Authority, its not Page Rank.

Moz dont tell you exactly how they award DA but its believed to be related to complex calculations using their link index and it uses around 40 signals to determine quality. Its really complex because if 1 site changes up or down then that will also effect all the sites it then links to in a positive or negative way but by a lesser amount, these sites then also get effected and so on all reducing in their effect.

But with DA we are talking at domain level and not page level. An example is the BBC has a really powerful site in terms of DA but any page hosted on that site will not carry the same ranking power. Yes its helped as its from a very trusted site but its ability to rank will depend on links it gains. Some will be internal and as the BBC is so strong just the internal links on their own maybe enough for the page to rank highly.

As a guide though if you gain a link from a page you need to know how many other links are on that page, this includes all links so menu links, footer links etc as well. Lets assume a page contains 10 links which 1 link is to you. You will receive 1/10th (roughly) to your page. if the page contains 20 links then you will get 1/20th. This is Page Rank, not DA. Unfortunately Page Rank is now hidden from us so there is no way of know exactly how powerful the page is. MOZ PA is an attempt to replace PR but it cant take all factors into account so its a guide only.

So if you are really pushing for a way of determining if a link from a page is good then use the PA of page where link will be / links on page = PA being passed.

DA and PA though was not meant to be used this way, it was designed for comparing 2 sites, it does not help with relevance of a keyword and its ability to rank a page well.

Comments on this post

• Prof.stan agrees : yes
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hi Dwalis2012,
    You've had a bunch of good advice above. I'm offering advice on a different tack.

Forget all the DA and PA rubbish you have bought into. It is NOT for small, local websites where SEO is poorly implemented by competitors, if at all, in the search market. Keyword density is also a nonsense.

Your primary problems revolve around lack of organised information and lack of following the needs of the bride's purchasing process.

Always start your website planning with your potential clients.

What do they go through in their purchasing process? How long is it? What touch points can you trigger as they progress through it and who can you work with to improve the opportunities for you to reach out at ALL of those touch points?

There should be many related services in your target locations who you can work with:

• Venues
    • Wedding planners
    • Celebrants
    • Videographers
    • Wedding dress makers
    • Wedding cake makers
    • Wedding stationers
    • Wedding flower suppliers
    • wedding bomboniere suppliers
    • Etc.

If you can get links from local suppliers of these wedding services to your website, they will be far, far more valuable to you for external link ranking enhancement than any links from high but useless DA or PA numbered sites spat out by any SEO tool. The SEO tools can't even identify these important external ranking parameters, let alone assess their values.

You have something extremely valuable to all of these businesses - PICTURES of their services that they can use on their websites, with your conditional approval!

OK, some approvals are no doubt needed from your clients but where available, you can then negotiate with the related businesses the link text and to where on your site you want a link from their site to go. They can also be "follow" links without risk of any G penalty.

You should also be working with them on your social media content. More reason they need access to your pics...

You are likely in a relatively long purchasing process where dreams, hopes an emotions are high and probably shared by the future bride with many friends and family. Use it on your website.

Organising your Site Structure

It doesn't exist at present. All you have is a link to Home and Price Lists.

You need site navigation that displays the top of each page.

Try a site structure like:

Home -> Photography Services -> Wedding Portfolios -> Wedding Ideas -> Wedding Locations -> About Us -> Contact Us

Sell your Services!

All us mere mortals think we can all take pictures. We just pick up our Smartphone and click...

I find that most photography sites simply post lots of pics and expect them to "sell" the service.

WRONG! We, your potential clients are ignorant and dumb.

You need to explain to us photographically deluded idiots what was behind a pic's composition, set up, lighting, time to take, exposures, etc. If you don't do this, we will tend to go for the lowest priced service. (Remeber, there is no such thing as a service that is too expensive, it just has not given enough reasons to buy it.)

Comments on this post

• Prof.stan agrees
    • Chedders agrees : Perfect response
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Apr 17th, 2017 at 04:12 AM.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

hmm so my link building doesnt seem to have been very successful!

MY DA just took a massive dive to 11 down from 14 ... bit odd that?
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

guess I will spending the night toxic link hunting and disavowing !
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

ahh from what I have been reading its normal after a MOZ update

I have actually moved up quite a lot up the google search pages

I am now page 1 for

warrington wedding photographer
    warrington photography
    warrington photographer
    wedding photographer warrington

moved up to page 2 for Ruthin Castle Weddings (was page 3)
    peckforton castle weddings (Still page 5 !!! )

well like you say DA isnt everything, the link building appears to be working atleast my pages are moving in the right direction up google (atleast some of them are!)
  27. Dinosaur

Perfect example of DA is not connected to SERPS or google.
    I would love someone to explain to me why DA would go down but SERPS goes up, yet people still go chasing higher DA.
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

will work on my navigation too, all the links are down near the footer but if John missed them, maybe my potential customers are too !