1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Owning and connecting multiple domains

I work for a company that has expanded its product lines to cover a broader spectrum than its original scope. We have created new brands for a few of these lines, and are currently building a separate website for these new lines. My question is what are the best practices for connecting these sites? The original website will still have pages about the new branded products, but will that hurt our new sites and landing pages? Should we link the sites together? E.g. Home Depot owns Blinds.com, and at the footer of their home page, there is a section that lists their other sites. When comparing HomeDepot.com and Blinds.com, they both have some of the same products. If the content is different, will they still be cannibalizing each other? Could we still try to rank both sites for the same keywords, or will Google frown upon that? I appologize for all of the questions, but I do appreciate any insights given. Thanks!
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

PErsonally I would say you need to tread carefully as basically your building a PBN. This can be taken out by google if they deem you are doing it to gain positions in SERPS.
    However you may wish to read this study How 16 Companies are Dominating the World’s Google Search Results this goes against my advise but shows if your large enough and have a massive backlink profile you can get away with some things.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog