1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Outbound links help SERP ?

Hi guys,

i watched some SEO guru videos and they said having outbound links are very good for the SERP (i have never thought that).
    Also i see some good ranking competitor websites having directory with outbound links to non-relevant websites, but they are all local (in the same city).
    Btw should we consider being local (but not our niche) as relevant or non-relevant?

That outbound links have to be necessary relevant?

So should i from time to time make outbound link to site as Wikipedia or other authority sites? Does it really help?
    I am scared to make something like a link directory at my website....i don't think google would give a credit for that ? or am i wrong and it works?
    Last edited by Gord0n; Sep 14th, 2016 at 11:32 AM.
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

I am with you on this, making outbound links never seems correct to me unless there is a good reason to.
    If you have to make the link then make it rel="nofollow" so that you are not seen as trying to manipulate SERPS for them and you just become a link exchange.

There is a train of thought that if say you was trying to rank locally for say a town called Bristol then having links to other sites within that town may give you credibility as the niche you attempting to boost is Bristol (the local element) I must admit though I have never seen linking out to something like wikipedia as helping rank a site despite the claims.

I could just be one of these myths that get floated around , I have in the past had great success with including content about the town in question plus adding internal links containing the town name to the content. That to me has a far more justifiable reason for ranking for keyword + town than a few external links.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare | Backlinking 101: Backlinks in 2018
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by Chedders
    I am with you on this, making outbound links never seems correct to me unless there is a good reason to.
    If you have to make the link then make it rel="nofollow" so that you are not seen as trying to manipulate SERPS for them and you just become a link exchange.
    Yep, rel="nofollow"

Originally Posted by GordOn
    So should i from time to time make outbound link to site as Wikipedia or other authority sites? Does it really help?
    That is an answer in itself. Some times we make outbound links to reference sites to give authority to our content. Here you make the decision to either give juice
    or no juice to the site you reference as an authority. Yes it does help. but not in ways that most think. It makes your site a bit more credible.

So if you're a roofing contractor, giving a link to your supplier's material information about guarantee's and other such errata this gives folks the idea you
    know what you are talking about and able to back it up. This only helps you, just don't go endorsing a crap site. Ask yourself does this give valuable info
    to my visitors or not? Let that be your guide.