1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Organic SEO Tanked after redesign

I have researched all over the internet to try to figure out the problem, but it is like trying to ask google 'whats wrong with my website'?
    So I hope everyone here can help.

We have launched a website redesign and purchased an SEO Friendly theme, SEO optimizers and built our content as far as we can tell to be
    SEO friendly. We do not participate in any black hat SEO, all above board. But now you search some of our main keywords and where we were
    tracking page 1 organically, we are now at page 3 and 4. and even the pages we rank with are old, very old pages its like google is not seeing our new site. Even
    SEM Rush is indexing an amount of pages that we don't understand or see to be current on our site.

We have done what we know to be right. We created a new sitemap and re-submitted. We are not being penalized by google, we have updated our
    robots text file, optimized for mobile. We know there are some technique errors on our site, but they have never given us problems like this before.

It feels like I am looking for a needle in a haystack...Whats wrong? Does anyone have any suggestions?

** WordPress 4.6.2 running The7 theme.**
  3. SEO Insultant
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I'm sure you already know that this is not new. It ALWAYS happens.
    Did you redesign/restructure a long time ago?

Comments on this post

• Prof.stan agrees : Your comments are different than anyone else
    ... Hey you! FREE SEO report card ... I really my hosting company ...
  5. No Profile Picture

Yes, we know that there is always a slight change in rankings after a redesign, in fact we have experienced it in the past. But it was never so extreme and we usually recovered much faster than this. We released our new site November 18th.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Ummmmm.....

You didn't mention any 301 redirects from old urls to new urls...... just curious if you omitted this step.

edited to add...

Also have you implemented SSL for the new site. That could also be a mitigating factor.
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Jan 24th, 2017 at 11:57 AM.
  9. Traffic drop sleuth. :)
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

How much has changed from the old site to the new?
    Is the content all the same?
    Are the urls the same?
    Are the title tags all the same?
    Is your new site faster than the old?
    Are your new pages in the Google index at all?
    Have you checked your site to make sure you haven't left on a noindex tag or blocked it via robots.txt?

Comments on this post

• KnowOneSpecial agrees : all good points
    New: Learn SEO - A complete course for beginners:LEARN SEO
    Want to hire a reputable SEO? I'll connect you with an SEO company you can trust.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Dr. Marie makes some good points.. I have leaned in the past never to combine a site redesign, with content change as you are hinting at in your post..

Makes it hard to determine if it was a structure change or if it was a content change.

1 thing at a time, then you can find and correct the mistakes easier !!
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Jan 24th, 2017 at 02:55 PM. Reason: spelling correction
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by KnowOneSpecial
    Ummmmm.....

You didn't mention any 301 redirects from old urls to new urls...... just curious if you omitted this step.

edited to add...

Also have you implemented SSL for the new site. That could also be a mitigating factor.
    @knowonespecial we have implemented 301 redirects, we think it was inclusive of all of the previous links that didn't come over with the new site, but we are still managing to care for our 404 errors that our tools are finding. We are currently using google webmaster tools and SEM Rush to help us find these.

regarding an ssl , yes we do have one for the new site... thank you for the helpful comments
  15. No Profile Picture

Thank you @Dr.Marie , see my responses below.

How much has changed from the old site to the new? We Did change quite a bit, we were finding our old menu structure and site navigation to complex and not user friendly. So we did restructure how our information was layed out on the site. Then we also wanted to add more information so we added more content to our site because we found there were a lot of information holes for customers when they visited our site, we thought this might also help our bounce rate.

Is the content all the same? - No, we revamped that, copied some of it over, but added and changed a lot of it.

Are the urls the same? No, most of them changed with the re-design, mostly because our structure changed with our look.

Are the title tags all the same?- Some
    Is your new site faster than the old? a bit faster, but when I do the speed tests online it does say that it could stand for some improvement.
    Are your new pages in the Google index at all? I believe so, but other than testing with site:www.mydomain.com/example/ , I am not a 100% sure that they are and do not know how to check for a certainty. Because the pages we are ranking for ( when we do ) are the ones we were ranking high in on our old site and its like we can't get google to see or use our new ones.
    Have you checked your site to make sure you haven't left on a noindex tag or blocked it via robots.txt? We have checked it and all signs point to an indexable site on the backend of the site. Our robots txt file is this ..

User-agent: *
    Disallow: /wp-admin
    Disallow: /wp-content
    Disallow: /wp-includes
    Disallow: /wp-includes/js
    Disallow: /trackback
    Disallow: /category/*/*
    Disallow: */trackback
    Disallow: /*?*
    Disallow: /*?
    Disallow: /*~*
    Disallow: /*~
    Disallow: /teststore/
    Allow: /wp-admin/admin-ajax.php

Do you see any glaring errors in that?
  17. Entrepreneur
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Ok let me share with you some of my previous experience I worked for US-based women fashion ecommerce site after analyzed the technical stuff we found there were many duplicate pages that are being cached on Google with? extensions. So, I added below for preventing duplicate issues
    Disallow: /*?*

Certainly, I realized that organic traffic had dropped badly then I filtered trend Google analytics and found we received a good amount of organic traffic from dynamic pages (? pages). Finally, I removed this attribute from robots.txt and ask our development team to put the canonical attribute in meta tags that worked great for us.

So, it might be a case of your's, please review your Google analytics and filtered the pages from you received the organic traffic.
    Last edited by Prof.stan; Jan 25th, 2017 at 09:06 AM.
    You do your business I do mine because you are you and I am I If we meet it is nice.
  19. Traffic drop sleuth. :)
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

If you've changed your content, your urls and most of your titles this means that you are almost starting over from scratch again with a new site. It's going to take a lot of time (i.e. likely months) for Google to make new signals for your site.

The 301 redirects will help somewhat, but not completely. Let's say that my site had a page that was ranking #1 for "buy green widgets". Now, let's say I create a new page with new content, a new url and a new title tag. Just 301 redirecting the old page to the new is not going to cause me to retain the rankings I once had. The redirect will add some benefit, but essentially this is a new page. In most cases, new pages in the index take a long time to achieve their best rankings.

It's going to be tough to know what to do here. You may want to hire someone to have a thorough look to recommend changes. It sounds like there is a lot going on here and I wouldn't make any major changes based on recommendations from forum members that haven't thoroughly analyzed your site. One option may be to just keep doing what you are doing and wait for Google to catch up with the changes. Another could be to try to reinvent the old content, urls and title tags an then gradually test changing one thing at a time. I'm guessing that's likely not an option with a complete redesign though.
    New: Learn SEO - A complete course for beginners:LEARN SEO
    Want to hire a reputable SEO? I'll connect you with an SEO company you can trust.
  21. No Profile Picture

Dr. Marie,

I see what your saying, your right we do have a lot going on with our site migration, and can completely understand how we may have lost some of our ranking because of the major changes. But I am still curious about something. We have always done better in google than in Bing results, but now with the change, Bing page 2 for some our keywords and they are indexing our new content and even duckduckgo.com we are page 1 with our new content, where as google 3 and 4, only our old content. Its like there is some major switch we forgot to flip for Google and we are overlooking it somehow. Any ideas?
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I think it really boils down to this...

Originally Posted by Mirovel
    How much has changed from the old site to the new? We Did change quite a bit, we were finding our old menu structure and site navigation to complex and not user friendly. So we did restructure how our information was layed out on the site. Then we also wanted to add more information so we added more content to our site because we found there were a lot of information holes for customers when they visited our site, we thought this might also help our bounce rate.
    Having changed the urls, you have given reason for your new urls to not be showing up... you are basically starting fresh as Dr. Marie has stated.
    Having changed the text content, you have probably changed what the pages are targeting as keywords and ranking for.

You have made two very, very, massive changes to your site. The ideal situation would have been to change the content or url structure 1st, then see how it affected your ranking, make changes to fix any ranking issues, then make the site redesign, and see how it affected the site, then make changes to fix any ranking issues.

Since you have changed both the url structure and the content, there is really no easy way to determine which did what !!

You have created a mess, no offense, so basically you have created a new site, so you have to start from scratch.