1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Optimizing Whole Domain

Good Afternoon,

I'm relatively new to SEO, I have a question which may seem obvious, however I have searched and found no concrete answers.

Basically, I have ran a website Audit using SEO Power Suite, generally well optimized, however their are some issues, for example the Audit returned 25 URL's with errors saying the URL's were too long. Now these pages are primiarily news articles we publish regarding the industry we are in.

My question is, will leaving these URL's affect general ranking for my site. I am not trying to increase traffic to these pages, but rather to the main pages, which are all optimized fine. Should I be looking to change these URL's, or concentrate my efforts into the pages I want to rank for.

Thanks for any help.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Longer URLs are a very very minor problem.

Shorter is generally better but you could almost definitely be doing something more worthwhile.

Comments on this post

• KnowOneSpecial agrees
    Last edited by IvanDrago; Jun 22nd, 2017 at 10:45 AM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

What you failed to provide is the actual length of the url. So is it really really too long, or is it just a few characters to long ?

Generally speaking if your urls are like 255 char or larger, this may indicate your url structure is not well thought out. Look at it from that slant, you may see something to help you with your urls.

But based on the just the info provided, I agree with Ivan Drago. Pursue something more worthwhile.

One more thing, the url length will affect your ctr. Meaning, if your serps are showing with ... ( elispes ) it will look less attractive and have a negative impact on ctr.