1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Opinions on getting guest posts for $

Buying backlinks is frowned upon, and I hear a lot that it's bad news - I read an article of a guy who's been doing SEO for something like 25 years. He goes by the mentality of "If SEO didn't exist, would you still be happy that this website has linked to you?"

So I suppose my question is, with guest posts - you can get relevant links, from... the telegraph for example, a huge huge company with something like 95 DA. I mean, a follow link from somewhere like this - is clearly something you'd still want if SEO didn't exist.

When people say 'buying backlinks is bad' are they referring to PBN's, and blogs which have no relevance, going overboard and buying too many so it looks ridiculously unnatural, or, just in general buying is bad full stop?
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

I think you are misunderstanding why the purchasing of backlinks is bad or at least the types of backlinks which are bad.

A advert for example in yell with a link to your site is buying a link, a sponsored link on a blog is also buying a link, this could be because your funding the article to be written or researched. However there is a big difference here as these links will be nofollow so therefore are not attempting to manipulate SERPS, by including the no follow attribute you being upfront and honest and saying here I am but please dont count this link as a vote for my site. This is perfectly fine.

Google treats links as a vote, a like, a thumbs up however you want to call it assuming there is not a no follow tag, it is expecting these type of links to be coming from users, a bit like a review. However if your doing it then you are biased so the only motive would be to gain in ranks in i.e. manipulate SERPS. Many sites early on saw the opportunity to cash in so charged for a link to your site and just became link farms. These sites google very quickly spot and at best dont count them, worst case is they actually take action and penalise that site and anyone connected to it.

You can also buy a bot which will hunt down vulnerable blogs and forums and automatically post links, these are just spam links and rightly so google take them out.

Comments on this post

• Will-O-The-Wisp agrees
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  5. Contributing User

Ok. I'm going to give an example. There's a big British newspaper which I know of which sell them because I know someone who is very close to an editor within it.
    The link provided would be do-follow. There's a lot of suppliers of the Huffington post, Forbes and so on - I mean they charge a lot of money - So I wouldn't even consider this. But, from the reviews of the sellers, it does look like they do produce do-follow links. The articles have to look natural and non-commercial and the anchor text depends on the vendor. Some editors rigorously check to anchor text, some do not.

There's a very popular blog in the health niche called 'blogher' and they had so many rogue bloggers working for them, they had to migrate their website to a new domain, now the majority of the backlinks have turned into nofollows links to protect themselves.

My point is, how would google ever find out? Surely they can't detect whether a backlink from a website with huge followings and trust? I know they can easily identify this with PBNs and other methods which are obvious to the human eye, nevermind a robot. But, if someone got a link within forbes for example, and they paid the huge fee. How would any SEO expert in world, or any algorithm in the world detect it's paid for?
  7. Dinosaur

So what your saying is if nobody see you handing over the money then its ok.
    Its really does not matter if google can detect if a transaction was made or not its if they think you are buying that matters, they look for patterns within the chaos, some are extremely easy to spot others not, some maybe flagged for a human to look deeper. However sometimes google also get it wrong, and that is the danger, they simply dont ask you are you buying links?, they just take action on sites they believe are. Its a bit like playing russian roulette, you have 1 bullet in the chamber and the rest empty, you pull the trigger once and phew you got away with it, fancy another go ?

Sooner or later you will be shot. The same with buying links.
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

My question is straight:

Suppose sites like yelp which have a paid sponsored listing option which is a paid option and there are many high authority sites like these which can offer this paid lsting.
    Does this type of link bad or I have to explicitly call yelp to nofollow my links?

My question is many high quality sites offer paid listing options now if i go for that what happens then and how to handle it?Does I have to tell them explicitly to add nofollow my listing or what?
  11. Dinosaur

All major directories are nofollow, they have to be else they are considered a link farm.
    The hunt for do follow links is getting harder and harder as people wake up to fact that having loads on their site harms them.

Comments on this post

• Will-O-The-Wisp agrees
  13. Contributing User

Means sites like yelp which offers links (paid listing) which is nofollow is ok then?Please give us a direct answer
  15. Dinosaur

All no follow links are ok as they have zero effect on SERPS
  17. Contributing User

Thank you.My another question is something related to Google analytics and I love that!My question is can you help me some way how to find content opportunity using GA?I know a little off topic but is relevant to SEO.Any helpful link?I google but there are so many results to get the right one
  19. Entrepreneur
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Originally Posted by smkghosh
    Thank you.My another question is something related to Google analytics and I love that!My question is can you help me some way how to find content opportunity using GA?I know a little off topic but is relevant to SEO.Any helpful link?I google but there are so many results to get the right one
    Why you don't stat from some stickies you can easily find this in every section also use Advanced Search - SEO Chat Forums before asking and you should read every thread from The "Great Threads" Thread. I know it will take some times to read but believe me then you will find some new stuff from these threads
    You do your business I do mine because you are you and I am I If we meet it is nice.
  21. Contributing User

I already knew buying was very risky - It wasn't ever under consideration, it was more just curiosity.

Thank you as always