Thread: Onsite seo help

1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Onsite seo help

Hello
    I run a website that reviews and ranks web design companies, please feel free to take a look: webdesignreview.co.uk
    Iíve have undertaken all self-taught SEO work myself but seem to have hit a plateau on what steps to take next to get this site ranking even higher.
    Iím looking for suggestions from experts that might be able to offer some advice, if youíd like to leave a comment.
    Many Thanks.
  3. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Have a look into what https://www.getcredo.com/ are doing. (I hope that the owner doesn't mind me posting here as when I previously messaged John he's not really doing much in the UK). He's doing a great job at something similar to what you are trying to do. Take inspiration from that site and try and apply the best bits to what you're doing.

One side note, it would be useful for you to post how you actually grade the companies and why they should trust you.
    Last edited by ThomasHarvey; Sep 27th, 2017 at 07:33 PM.
    Always happy to help in private message. | Learn about my latest project Can You Get Automated Pages To Rank In Google?
    Useful Links: Useful SEO Tools | GTmetrix | FileOptimizer | Cloudflare
  5. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I hope the owner doesn't mind
    Thomas that's what ya call a natural link.
  7. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    Thomas that's what ya call a natural link.
    I know and thinking about it now don't know really why I wrote that, was gone midnight and wasn't entirely with it!
    Always happy to help in private message. | Learn about my latest project Can You Get Automated Pages To Rank In Google?
    Useful Links: Useful SEO Tools | GTmetrix | FileOptimizer | Cloudflare
  9. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

That's what every webmaster strives for...natural links. And you hoped he didn't mind, that's what grabbed my attention. lol
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Bit cheeky reviewing SEO services if you aren't an expert yourself?

Comments on this post

• JohnAimit agrees : I'd also question web design capabilities
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hi Webreviewadmin,
    You have not told us what search queries you want to target, so I'm guessing...

It looks like your site is aimed at business owners and your prime search words include:

• web design
    • SEO
    • hosting
    • review
    • UK

I only ran a few rank checks of search queries like "review web design UK" and "review uk seo companies" and you seemed near the top of these.

Where do you see your rank failings?

A few observations...

1. Prime Search Words

SEs rank the individual words in search queries. The exact sequence usually has little impact.

That means it should be easier for you to score more ranking points for queries that inclusde "web", "design", "review" and "UK" because these are all in your domain name.

Websites that include "SEO" or "hosting" in their domain names therefore have a ranking asset that you don't possess. Expect these to be more difficult search topic words for you.

2. Structure Your Site Around Search Topic Content

I could not see any search query topic page grouping on your site at all. It seemed to consist of a very long Home page that encompassed all the services you offer with no relevant search grouping evident.

The more search topic specific you can group your pages and their content then the easier it should be to attract more relevant SE referrals.

Part of SEO planning is deciding what search landing pages you need to target for your various prime search queries.

Eg:
    (domain)/web-design/...
    (domain)/SEO-agencies/...
    (domain)/web-hosting/...

You should need a landing page for each of these topics.

In one place you start with (domain)/seo-review/ but then you break the topic pathway by changing the page URLs to (domain)/seo-service. Think of what happens when PageRank is passed through your site. Any external links to (domain)/seo-review/ will not pass any PageRank to the 10 topic related pages named (domain)/seo-service.

Another simple SEO and usability tip is to include breadcrumb links on every page. If for no other reason, you need to tell the searcher where they are when they arrive on your site at an internal page. For a well optimised website targeting this number of prime search queries, I'd guesstimate that less than 30% of generic search visitors should land on your Home page.

3. What is the Purpose of Your Blog?

I only looked at the first few pages of your blog list but it seemed to me that only three of 20 articles related to your search query target topics. A lot of it seems to be about social media topics.

I suggest that the more site content you publish that diverges from your primary search topics, the more your content relevance will be diluted in the SE results and the less relevant traffic you will attract.

4. A personal pet peeve...

Lose the high speed animation on you Home page graphic. I suggest it is a distraction that will hurt your communications objectives. It may create unwanted cognitive dissonance about your ability to assess good website design.

I remember a user survey back in the '90's when animated GIFs first emerged. A survey respondent replied, "if I want cartoons, I'll go to the movies".

The basics of communication with people has not changed. When we want an answer to a question, we do not want a distracting artifice that delays our access to the answer.

Hope this helps...