1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

One of my pages disappearing from the SERPS.

Hi guys,

speedytests.co.uk/test-centres.html <- is the page which has disappeared.

I requested google to crawl the page a week ago. Within a day, it was in the SERPS. Today I noticed it has disappeared.

Is this something to worry about?
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Its in the index so I think its just that google dont rate it as being important.

I did notice a couple of things though.
    You are showing the star rating on every town, this is fine if its about the town but not if its a global rating about your service, that needs to be changed for that test centre or taken off. Google will issue a penalty if you use schema on that as the rating does not apply.

On the test centre page you offer no link back to the town page, you could do with adding breadcrumbs on there to allow people to navigate back. This also generates a lot more links to the page, so will raise its importance to the site.

You could also add schema to the test centre's address, you may have already I did not check.

The issue really is the page is just a list of towns, so getting it to rank for anything meaningful is going to be difficult without more content and adding links to it,
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog
  5. Contributing User

Oh really? I couldn't find it yesterday in the index for some reason!

The main reason for the page is purely for user experience and for googles bot. I wasn't really attempting to rank it - although I may try to because I suppose this is a waste opportunity.

As for the schema thing, I was just copying competitors with this as two of the 'top dogs' are doing the same thing. But thank you for the warning and I will look to remove schema from it. I'm also looking to add schema to each test centres address (you've actually taught me this before funnily enough) but as there's 352 test centres this job has been put aside for when I can endure a full few days of searching / copy and pasting

Weirdly adding these test centres with a link back to the money page has been the best thing I've ever done. I've done from 80th in my main keyword to 12-16th... Hopefully, I can get onto the first page soon.

Thanks for the advice as always!
  7. Contributing User

Mhmmm when I do site:mysite.co.uk, yesterday there was 8 pages on google. Now, there's 6. I've asked google to index all the test centre pages... bit conufsed here
  9. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Sorry checked again to do a screen shot and its not there, I could have been mistaken when I searched before. (not enough coffee)

Putting the link from the centre pages will help a lot in getting this page indexed.

As for the site: within google search is not the best way to see if its indexed, that rarely returns all the pages google knows about and just tend to show a sample.
    Just search for the page in quotes so "speedytests.co.uk/test-centres.html" and that will show you the page.

You need to look at search console and see how often your site is being crawled. the issue is with small sites is google dont visit often as not a lot changes. But the more links it finds to that page the better chance you have of it being found and indexed.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog