1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Old webpage still showing up on SERP months after info was scrubbed from page/site

Hey everyone,

I have a fairly unique question and am hoping someone here has some info on this. I work for an attorney, and we used to be part of a larger law firm. We split off from them 1.5 years ago, and around 1 year ago scrubbed ALL links and mention of our attorney from their website.

Now when I search for my attorney's name, the SERP shows 1.) our homepage, 2.) the FB page then the attorneys page for the old law firm.

I checked the links to that page to make sure none of them had our attorneys name connected with anchor text or anything else, and I saw 1 or 2 links that mentioned him, not as anchor text, but I can't imagine google is rocketing this page to the top of the SERP based on 1 or 2 non branded backlinks, but perhaps.

The problem is I have no idea/way to fix this. The page has nothing in the code linking to or mentioning my attorney, and it was just indexed 2 weeks ago, MONTHS after he was scrubbed completely from the site.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much,
  3. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by Jake Wolf
    Hey everyone,

I have a fairly unique question and am hoping someone here has some info on this. I work for an attorney, and we used to be part of a larger law firm. We split off from them 1.5 years ago, and around 1 year ago scrubbed ALL links and mention of our attorney from their website.

Now when I search for my attorney's name, the SERP shows 1.) our homepage, 2.) the FB page then the attorneys page for the old law firm.

I checked the links to that page to make sure none of them had our attorneys name connected with anchor text or anything else, and I saw 1 or 2 links that mentioned him, not as anchor text, but I can't imagine google is rocketing this page to the top of the SERP based on 1 or 2 non branded backlinks, but perhaps.

The problem is I have no idea/way to fix this. The page has nothing in the code linking to or mentioning my attorney, and it was just indexed 2 weeks ago, MONTHS after he was scrubbed completely from the site.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much,
    Check, Avvo, findlaw and the myriad others that link to the website. Some of them still have your attorney associated with the old firm. Just a guess

Comments on this post

• KnowOneSpecial agrees : Not a guess, Spot On As Usual !
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    Check, Avvo, findlaw and the myriad others that link to the website. Some of them still have your attorney associated with the old firm. Just a guess
    I updated all of the attorney directories we are listed in back when the firm initially changed, including the big ones like Avvo, Findlaw, Justia etc...
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

KP right on target as usual!

Originally Posted by Jake Wolf
    I updated all of the attorney directories we are listed in back when the firm initially changed, including the big ones like Avvo, Findlaw, Justia etc...
    Do not dismiss his advice so quickly ! OP take KernalPanic's advice, search the other sites for backlinks as well.
    You missed some as it appears.

LawLink appears to be a very powerful site. To make his old firm show up #3 or #4 this site most likely has a Google Page Rank of about 4, but that is just a guess.

I suggest you go to that directory and modify the listing, to take advantage of its' juice. That link is a Diamond in my opinion. If you can't modify it, have it taken down and replaced.

9. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Yeah I do think that's the problem, you still got tons of links pointing to that page that are associated with your client. Google your attorney's name with the name of the previous firm and you'll see them all.
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    Yeah I do think that's the problem, you still got tons of links pointing to that page that are associated with your client. Google your attorney's name with the name of the previous firm and you'll see them all.
    Gotcha. Not to be dismissive, but if I run a search for: Lakota Denton Minick Law, everthing that pops up on the first two SERP pages have been either fixed (if you click into them) and havent updated yet, or are no longer active links. I found one think on the first two pages to update but everything else on those two first pages at least are corrected.

Lawlink has been updated for quite some time. I have a list of 100+ attorney directories that I maintain update. So again, not to be dismissive, but I feel like I've barked up that tree plenty.