1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Old, thin pages out-performing newer, content-rich pages?

Hello! My website has 7 years of blog posts, but not written to strategically target any keywords.

Six months ago, I created some pages with better content about my services and locations. For example, a page about a specific location ("Winchester family photographer") with lots of relevant content, keywords in the URL, title, H1, not spammy writing, linked directly in the navigation. A lot of work went into this.

The new page is indexed but barely gets any views. But in GA and by manually test searching, I can see that an old blog post still gets higher placement and more traffic for this keyword. It just has "Winchester" in the title, doesn't have inbound links.

I would like to keep this old blog post (better than no traffic for that keyword), but is there anything I can do to get Google to give preference to the new page? It feels like random, old pages are winning right now, so I must be doing something wrong.
  3. No Profile Picture

It is not something fully in our control. The old pages with historical records from your site will always be shown first as their crawl duration is more than the new ones.

You can try Google "Rich Cards" or featured content to get it showcased.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by bangontime
    I would like to keep this old blog post (better than no traffic for that keyword), but is there anything I can do to get Google to give preference to the new page? It feels like random, old pages are winning right now, so I must be doing something wrong.
    If the old post and the new pages are basically the same info, as per your description, then use rel=canonical on the old page to tell Google, Hey, this is the new page and I want it to be the preferred page.

Put the html code in the head portion of the "OLD PAGE". Just substitute your info in place of your domain and your new page. Also if are not using https, just remove the s, but you should be using https, it's free and gives a ranking boost.

<link rel="canonical" href="https://your-domain.com/your-new-page.html" />
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thank you! I'll certainly give this a try.
  9. Contributing User

I am a bit puzzled.
    If two pages have the same info .
    We should put the canonical tag in the head of the new page not in the old page to tell that the new version is the canonical version of the old page.

My another suggestion is to implement 301 redirect from old page to new page and check if the ranking improves instead canonical.
    Last edited by smkghosh; May 16th, 2017 at 03:49 AM.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for questioning this. From what I can see, the rel="canonical" link would go into the head of the non-canonical, old page.

Yoast: "Add a rel=canonical link from the non-canonical page to the canonical one"
  13. Contributing User

First of all ,

I am confused.

Suppose I have 2 pages :

abc.com which is my page with original content

abc.com/example which is my page with same content as abc.com

Now if I want to use canonical tag I will use it in the head section of the duplicate page abc.com/example saying google that it is a copy of the original/canonical page abc.com

It is the concept.
    abc.com is the original version or the canoniocal version not the abc.com/example

Last edited by smkghosh; May 16th, 2017 at 09:19 AM.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hey smkghosh,

From my understanding of rel="canonical", I appreciate that technically it is meant for situations where multiple pages have the same content. So you would pick the canonical page, and add rel="canonical" link tags to all the others (linking to the canonical page).

Now my situation is a little different, as the content isn't exactly the same. But I want to tell Google that for a particular keyword, give preference to page A instead of page B. KnowOneSpecial suggests that rel="canonical" might help with this.

Does this clear things up or am I missing something? Thanks for all your input!