1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Old Domain 301 redirect to new Domain

Setting the stage:
    I developed a new site with a new domain to replace an existing domain. I want to lose the old domain altogether
    and don't mind if it expires. However, I do want the old domain to point to the new domain until it does expire.
    So, through the domain registrar(GoDaddy), I set a permanent 301 redirect (no mask) pointing the old domain to the new domain.
    Works perfectly and seamlessly.

My question is: Having set the 301 redirect to the new domain, will the old domain soon disappear from search engines?
    Will it be UN-indexed? If not, why not? If so, about how long before it disappears?

Thanks!!

Hoping many will weigh-in on this question.
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Are there links to the old domain ? if so could take a long while before its dropped as google will keep finding it again.
    Plus if someone then comes along and buys the expired domain they will inherit the links, once it expires of course your 301 will drop so in theory at least the site may never disappear as I guess godaddy will park it.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks Cheddars. Let me try to focus the question once more and we'll confine it to the rules of a registrar action. If I set a domain, through it's registrar, to perform a 301 permanent redirect to another domain, does this place the domain in an "inactive" state? Thus, does this signal to Google "No longer index"? GoDaddy's page on forwarding: https://www.godaddy.com/help/manuall...omain-name-422 .
    Note the A record change (changes to ns31.domaincontrol.com).

So, one of two results can come from my question.

Yes, the domain is now in a 301 permanent redirect to another site and thus "out" of the pool and Google will recognize this and "no longer index" [..and the site will soon disappear from serps].

Or,

No, the domain, although being set with a permanent 301 redirect to another site, is still considered "active" and will remain indexed(and crawled) by all search engines and appear in serps until expired.
  7. No Profile Picture

I'm still not sure if the answer is yes or no, but I'm leaning towards "no" and thinking I have to take an additional step. So, is that additional step (if required) "parking" the domain to truly make the domain "inactive" and "no longer indexed"?

I'm not concerned with links, linkjuice, or inherited links ... etc. Meaning, I'm not hoping to gain anything from the old site. It was a very old site with a crappy domain name and site .... with only one backlink. However, it was established, it did appear in serps and thus I wanted to point it to the new domain at least for a few weeks.

Thanks!!
  9. Dinosaur

I am left wondering why you are concerned if you have let it expire.
    Content has gone so its not an issue to your new site.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

You probably would be better off doing a 301 from the htaccess file of the old domain.

Also as Chedders has pointed out in another thread / post... the cost of domain names are really cheap. You may want to consider just keeping it to keep the link profile. To avoid losing the link juice as Chedders pointed out... I am sure 10 or 15 bucks is within your yearly budget, even cheaper if you get it for multiple years.

edited...

I saw Chedders first post and took to long to chime in.. just disregard this as the last two previous post make this useless
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Jan 24th, 2017 at 12:34 PM.
  13. No Profile Picture

I haven't let it expire. READ, will ya!

Do you know the mechanics of registrar settings? The answer is no, you don't. So why chime in??

If I asked this question initially..

If I drop a 3 ton block of iron in a swimming pool, will the water level rise? The answer is Yes

You reply with "Why do you want to drop a 3 ton block of iron into a pool?"

Useless...

I'm outta here

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic : attitude much?
  15. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by UXUIFly
    If I drop a 3 ton block of iron in a swimming pool, will the water level rise? The answer is Yes

You reply with "Why do you want to drop a 3 ton block of iron into a pool?"

Useless...
    Sort of a poor metaphor. I can think of a lot of smart reasons to ask someone "Why do you want to drop a 3 ton block of iron into a pool?" Not really useless at all.
  17. Dinosaur

I want to lose the old domain altogether and don't mind if it expires.
    You can only assume your dumping the domain from that statement. Which is why I asked the question, if you dont care about it or its future why are you concerned if google still has it in SERPS or not. I am trying desperately here to understand what the issue is.

Do you know the mechanics of registrar settings? The answer is no, you don't. So why chime in??
    seriously ?
    Oh boy what a way to introduce yourself to this community
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I do understand registrar redirection, but I don't expect you to believe me... don't care really in your case.

Just for the record,, I saw the post, started my post, Phone rang, twas new client, talked with client, took more time with client than I thought, kept working on my post to keep the page for timing out and when I posted I noticed that you and Chedders had posted again, So I edited my post to just say disregard it...

But hey your feathers got ruffled over nothing...

Have a great day Mate.

(By the way KernalPanic, that was nice of you ! Thank You !!)