1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

NSFW site looking for a review

Following the instructions os admin, markroberts, I am about to post a site for reviewing and give few more info what is going on here.
    Once again, this is adult oriented Wordpress blog so please skip it if you are finding it uncomfortable.

Short history:
    The site is online back from 2007. With ups and downs, it eventually sank seriously.
    I am guessing that reason for that is thin content because most of the pages contained only photos and few lines of text.

What I did:
    Starting at the beginning of September 2016, I've started adding content following Yoast SEO plugin advices. This means over 300 words texts,
    interlinking, and all those necessary stuff. I 've optimized over 200 pages and my google organic traffic went from
    692 per day (at the beginning of a process) up to 1.5K until recently. This was fine, I was satisfied because it was clear that what I am
    doing is giving the results. It is slow but ok, finally, I was going forward. There are 1 850 pages, still tons to optimize but I can't do that if
    things are going this way.

What's going on now:

At the beginning of February, google traffic started going down. There is a print screen from my GWT below. I don't know what can be a
    reason because I am updating the website every day, with the same methods that resulted in traffic rising in the previous month.This is very
    discouraging since I've finally thought that I am controlling something.

As you probably know, google is hiding traffic keywords so I can't precisely determine where I am losing existing traffic. Writing
    good and relevant niche texts take a lot of time, and I can't continue doing the same if it is not giving the results.

What I am looking is some suggestion why this is happening and is there a way to fix things because I don't have a clue what to do now.
    Address of the the site is :

And one more thing, I ve recently purchased URL shortener plugin that is cloaking and redirecint my affiliate links.
    I am looking at invoice right now, it is URL shortener pro and it was deployed starting on January 14th (20 days before traffic went down).

Thank you for your time and it would be great to hear is there someone doing SEO services on these kind of sites?

Last edited by femdom; Feb 15th, 2017 at 05:17 PM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

The url shortener may very well be your problem.

I sent you a pm.
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

There have been a series of google algorithm updates, most recently on 2/1, 2/7 and 2/13. The 2/1 was believed to have impacted PBNs, 2/1 may have some connection to sites impacted by the "phantom 2" update. Phantom is a content quality update targeting thin content. The 2/7 update was big. 2/13 may be google rolling some of it back.

Just curious when you started adding content in september, did you see the lift in november? There was an update in November 2016 possibly related to the Phantom update.

Take a look at this: The February 7, 2017 Google Algorithm Update

I wouldn't worry too much about the url shortener. The term cloaking gets thrown around with those plugins but, technically you aren't cloaking you're redirecting. Cloaking is serving up different content to users than search engines. These plugins are just creating redirects. I use one and have a directory like /redirect/ that is disallowed in robots.txt so google won't crawl it and see where they go. Honestly, nofollow on the links would probably be sufficient.

To see where you lost traffic, do a landing page comparison before and after the updates. You want to see the pages with the biggest change in traffic, that may lead you to content and usability issues on your site.

EDIT: Another thing to consider, Google announced a data anomaly with Google image search in France and Germany: https://www.seroundtable.com/google-...ate-23436.html

Comments on this post

• KnowOneSpecial agrees : that post is a good read.. the Feb 7 update
    Last edited by ryandiscord; Feb 20th, 2017 at 10:58 AM.
  7. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

I was just about to post the same thing about the Feb 7th update and image search results. Google claim the update reduces fake users but leave real users alone, Assuming they are correct then sites effected should not be seeing a downturn in revenue. This of course is total bull. One site I look after has seen a massive reduction in both users and revenue since the update.

I can well imagine a site such as the OP has requested a review on received a lot of traffic via image search, by its very nature images would have been a very positive draw from users so although I cant prove it I would bet very heavily on that having some major impact on a site like this.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Chedders
    One site I look after has seen a massive reduction in both users and revenue since the update.

I can well imagine a site such as the OP has requested a review on received a lot of traffic via image search, by its very nature images would have been a very positive draw from users so although I cant prove it I would bet very heavily on that having some major impact on a site like this.
    I have a site impacted by the 7th update. In search console, I set the country to US and could see that is where the bulk of the drop was from. So yeah, the adjustment to image search isn't the whole picture here.

Image search traffic shows up in analytics as referral. I could see on several sites that traffic was almost entirely cut off on the 7th.
  11. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

I agree I dont think image search is the whole story here, the graph above is for a keyword in SERPS, the drop started on the 7th, small recovery then further drop.
    Sorry this is not helping the OP but I think there is a trend here.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare