1. No Profile Picture

Newbie question about long tail keywords

Hi,

Just starting out. We have a web site which is currently not optimized for seo keywords. However I want to create content
    (posts on facebook, slideshare, etc) that will link to web site and create multiple back links. I want to put a long tailed keyword in the posts creating seo ranked contacts
    with links back to the web page. We are writers and we created a site as "the crazy writer couple".. I tried that in serpstat and got no
    results. I tried "Short story anthology" and it seems "owned" by Amazon. I am beggining to think that I won't be able to come up with a
    long tailed keyword. "Crazy writer couple" is great because there is no competition. but it is unlikely anyone will type it in a search engine
    Based on what I've read about long tailed keywords, this is a confusing situation. Is it possible that I will simply have to market
    "Crazy writer couple" on social media and hope that it will create an audience. Or am I misuderstanding this completely?
    Any advice will be appreciated.

Fig0000
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Ok first off posting things on facebook, slideshare etc will not help you in terms of SEO. Links from social networks tend to all be nofollow links so they dont help you in terms of ranking. They may bring you traffic and get your brand known but in terms of SEO zero I am afraid.

Longtail keywords though I dont think you quite understand them, you dont go looking for 1 killer longtail phrase, you need lots of them. Typically long tail keywords have little or no competition because few people search for it but if you gather say 100 of them then collectively they add up to quite a lot of traffic. Often people refer to these as low hanging fruit, because there is little competition it is quite easy to rank for.

Being writers the challenge is to find these words and work them into your content which I would imagine you would find fun, personally being slightly dyslexic I find it a real challenge.
    IMHO
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

The only thing I could possibly add to Chedders post, is "get you a good keyword research tool"
  7. No Profile Picture

Thanks Cheddar and KnowOneSpeicial,

First thanks for not treating me like an idiot. I've been a programmer for years and I have seen some vicious attacks in posts based on someone not knowing something it takes years to learn. Compliments to both of you.
    I have read quite a bit about SEO and, as you can imagine, you don’t get certain facts. For instance I have heard so much about backlinks that it seemed, from the posts, that backlinks help with SEO. The message was always, “having a lot of backlinks makes you seem more important to search engines.” So of course I thought that it helped SEO. I believe what you said so I will not expect that back links will help.
    From what you are saying I will assume that I have to put the long tailed keywords in my website directly. I realize there are rules for frequency of the appearance of these keywords, where they are placed (near the top) etc. It seems to me that that is the only place I can make good use of Keywords is in my website based on what Cheddar said. I assume that is because that the bots will crawl through the website but not social media content?
    As for the SEO tool that KnowOneSpecial mentioned, I will ask what the best free one is.

As for the multiple long tailed keywords Cheddar mentioned, I assume that I need several multi-word keywords. I will ask:
    If I find a keyword(s) like “crazy writer couple” and it returns nothing in serpstat, do I pursue it or do I assume no one will ever type it into google and give up on it?
    If I ignore “crazy writer couple” do I look for generic terms like “short story anthology?”

What I realize is that I do need a good SEO tool but knowing what the keywords should be is another matter. I have not seen this information, specifically, in the many posts I’ve read.

Again I appreciate your patience. I probably should have posted in a forum years ago. It seemed that I’d be able to pick SEO up by reading a lot but it hasn’t worked out this way.

Neil
  9. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

To be fair a lot of SEO is common sense, and making sure you do things correctly. Of course there will always be things you dont know which is why firing off a question on sites such as this can in itself be a valuable tool.
    Your correct that links are still an important part of the google algo but we believe google are working hard to reduce their dependance on it. Things certainly have changed over the past few years, Not the doing of things correctly but more about what google will tolerate before issuing a penalty.

Its a real shame that google no longer show page rank which used to be one of the most important factors when deciding a value a page has, Here is a old post but relevant Link Juice: Want More? Here's an Easy Way to Get It for SEO | WordStream its not about keywords as such but how to get the most out of yourt page rank and may give you ideas on how to structure your site to help get the most out of it.

The thing with google is though although yes they do exact keyword phase matching they have become really good at understanding queries and matching it with content that may or maynot contain the phrase. An example if you type into google my tooth hurts you should be presented with a list of sites offering pain relief for tooth ache, Maybe not the best example I could use but its demonstrate google understand the question and attempt to supply answers.

The use of synonyms is so important to drive home your message to google without repeating the keyword your targeting over and over again and becoming spammy, Having a creative writer on board can be a major asset to any website. Making text readable to humans is so important in 2017.
    IMHO