Thread: New to HREFLANG

1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Unhappy New to HREFLANG

I am making my first practical foray into hreflang for a site and I really need some help.

I have travelbound.co.uk and travelbound.com

.co.uk is just for our UK audience and .com is for a list of around 20 other countries that we target for international schools. I want the .com to appear in SERPs for those countries and I only want .co.uk to appear in UK SERPs. I understand that it will do this based on it's ccTLD. I'm using Aleyda Solis hreflang generator but I was wondering if there is a way to just exclude the UK for .com using this method or if i HAD to INCLUDE each targeted country in the tags for EACH page? Also, can I put non-url specific tags for each country in the header for every page. For example, can i do a kind of wildcard hreflang tag that covers every page?
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

If you are targeting 10 different countries, then you will need 10 different pages each with its' own set of tags.

You will need an x default, and as many rel=alt tags as needed to satisfy your country lists.

Search the forum for "hreflang" this has been addressed many times here. You will find many examples of usage.

Originally Posted by RachelFinch
    For example, can i do a kind of wildcard hreflang tag that covers every page?
    No you can't ! Do not try any shortcuts here, it will cause you many, many problems. You could create a script, (php, aspx, or java, to name a few) to generate the tags on demand, but no wildcards can be used. It just doesn't work that way.