1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question New holding company website harm SEO?

Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone could offer any thoughts on the below:

I currently work with a business that is looking to expand, however their geographic location is contained within their business name. This has worked well for search engine rankings so the company are looking to retain their current name and setup a new company with the new geographic location in the new entities name.

This will however lead to two companies with differing names and the company is unsure of how to proceed in regards to websites; thoughts are at the moment to either set up a holding company and moving the current (main) site to the new URL with a holding page for both new URL directing people to the main site, or creating a brand new site for the new location and run them in tandem (more expensive).

Can anyone advise if they have any experience in regards to this and whether the moving of the current (main) site to a new URL with the old URL becoming a holding page would damage SEO?

I look forward to anyone's thoughts.

Confused.com
  3. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

If you actually have two companies with two executive branches, two distinguishing different set of employees that generally isn't more expensive... That is the cost of running two businesses both witn their own profits.

However, actually running one business with different domains is substabtially cheaper and riskier.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Confused-

If I'm understanding correctly, I'd suggest this- for example:

1) If current site/branch is ConfusedSanFrancisco.com, keep it. Don't risk moving, changing, or altering this domain at all. Keep a good thing going.
    2) If new site/branch is NewYork, create ConfusedNewYork.com and apply the same SEO strategies that have worked for ConfusedSanFrancisco.com

Comments:

1) Business owners may not like the aesthetics of this approach, but for SEO it may be a smart move.
    2) For branding (and easy-to-remember ad signage), there's nothing wrong with creating confused.com as a landing page with the 2 options (click a city... which takes the visitors to the location-specific website)
    3) Make sure that business owners don't sweat the correlation between the official company name and the .com name. I've had clients in the past who are adamant that PFG Spark Ltd use pfgsparkltd.com (for example), when in fact something like newyorkplumbing.com would be a better choice.

Hope this helps

- KG
  7. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the helpful advice.

I suppose the issue we are facing is that we are currently only known as, in KG's example; ConfusedSanFrancisco.com, so the option of setting up a new domain as suggested (ConfusedNewYork.com) seems the way to go.

I wanted to check with everyone as it simply means we will be running two websites for our established business and a smaller start-up with associated costs of keeping both up-to-date - guess that's just an expense needed for the new venture. It's just that our current company name does not lend itself to shortening, we are LOCATION NAME Employment Agency, and so any abbreviation to Employment Agency (Employment Agencies) does not sound right.

It looks like the best way forward is to simply run the two regional specific websites as separate entities and if they need linking in future then setting up a third for the holding company name.

Decisions, decisions....