1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Need help re: strange links

Hi,

Here's a quick rundown: My job is to look out for this site, let's call it A.com, but the webmaster has his own team and we're disagreeing on certain things.

Problem is, I have no experience with issues like these, and I want a second opinion. Please advise, experts.

So here's what I'm dealing with:

1.) In CognitiveSEO, the dominant anchor text for A.com is N/A. Their team says it's because these links are from A.com's affiliate sites that have a cross-domain link canonicalization so there's no anchor text.

I confirmed it upon checking Search Console, but my concern is that one domain supplies thousands of links each. It looks like this:

Should this really be a cause for concern? Can this be called unnatural & should it be removed?

2.) A.com's backlinks include these:

telecom.linkhotel.nl/
    globe.poker/the_worlds_most_visited_web_pages_670/
    advertisepages.net/the_worlds_most_visited_web_pages_642
    theglobe.me.uk/the_worlds_most_visited_web_pages_890
    advertising.loans/the_worlds_most_visited_web_pages_642
    auction.earth/the_worlds_most_visited_web_pages_784
    advertise.foundation/the_worlds_most_visited_web_pages_784

Their team says these are website scrapers a la Googlebot - something we have no control over - but they seem otherwise. Are these really automatic?

They also say these won't hurt A.com's rankings. So is disavowing them a good solution? If not, what steps should I take?

3.) I feel like changes were made after I brought these points up to them. Is there a way for me to check when links were last disavowed? Note that my access to Search Console is restricted.

4.) Please clarify: if links are disavowed, do they still show up in CognitiveSEO & does Google still consider them as A.com's?

Thanks so much, I look forward to seeing your answers.
    Last edited by dzine; Oct 12th, 2017 at 04:20 AM. Reason: URL defused in advance, then approved
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Those directories all look to be very low quality. JMO

They also appear to be sites you have to register for. I didn't look to closely at that requirement.

Originally Posted by Marigold
    4.) Please clarify: if links are disavowed, do they still show up in CognitiveSEO & does Google still consider them as A.com's?
    Yes, all backlink checkers will still see any disavowed links. Only Google will know which links are disavowed and not to count if you have uploaded a disavow file.

Remember, a disavow file just tells Google, Hey these links pointing to my site, you need to disregard them concerning my site. It does not remove the links from the internet.
  5. No Profile Picture

I've confirmed that those backlinks do require registrations, and even payment!!! Frankly, it's unbelievable! Thanks for clarifying KnowOneSpecial.

Hopefully someone clarifies the first couple points too.
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

The nice thing about a disavow file is you can change it....

If you disavow links and your rankings drop, (provided you did nothing else) then you probably included some links that were helping. The you could create a new disavow file without those links and you would regain the benefit. That is why you have to do some serious research concerning the links. That means you have to really investigate the sites before you add them to the disavow list.

Do you have access to the Google Search Console for this site, then you can download the current disavow file and determine when they disavowed them.. if not then you will not have access to the file.

Originally Posted by Marigold
    Their team says these are website scrapers a la Googlebot - something we have no control over - but they seem otherwise. Are these really automatic?
    Since you have confirmed that the sites require registration and payment, it's hardly likely that they are the results of scrapers and such.

That should address your other points....

Go here and get yourself a free account webmeup.com . This should help you sort the trash from the gem stones.

Comments on this post

• Marigold agrees : Awesome. So helpful.
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Oct 15th, 2017 at 10:37 AM. Reason: spelling correction
  9. No Profile Picture

Thanks so much. I can take it from here. You were a huge help!