1. No Profile Picture

My site disappeared in May 2013 & disavow didn't help

Hi,

My site started to drop from the top positions in May 2013. I was told it was Panda and I had spammy backlinks by a few seo companies. However, I never received a warning from Google.

I did have some spammy links due to trying to outsource to seo companies over the years. Directories and not too related blog links, that type of thing.

And seo company said they would do a disavow. After that my site has almost disappeared completely. The seo company in question say I should start from the beginning with a new website. I wanted to ask them why they then were happy to perform the disavow in the first place, but decided I would be wasting my breath and chalked it up to another failed seo outsourcing attempt.

So, I now wonder if it is worth trying to build my original site back up in Google, or whether to start again? Is there a statement from Google on this? Is there a site where I can quantify the damage and potential course to improvement?

Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Panda has nothing to do with links. Panda is related to onpage issues, namely the quality of your content. However, if it was May 2013 then it was more likely the Penguin 2.0 update which is related to links. Google generally does not give warnings about Penguin, though unnatural links warnings have resulted in a site being filtered by Penguin or penalized manually if the links go unaddressed.

It is very likely that the site lost ranking so significantly after the disavow because too many links were disavowed and you lost authority. In my opinion, the first iteration of a disavow should be fairly conservative and targeting only the most obvious spam links. Penguin is tough. Unlike a manual penalty, Google doesn't just tell you it's there or that you've gotten rid of it. Also note that if it was Penguin, the traffic is not going to come back until after the next Penguin refresh and Google has been taking their sweet time.

I'm afraid that without seeing your backlink profile and the disavow they submitted, I can't evaluate the job they did and thus, I cannot give merit to, or dissuade you from the "start over" philosophy.

Comments on this post

• GabrielG agrees
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks Adam. Here is the disavow file and my site is www.isabels-typing-services.co.uk
    Last edited by ClickyB; Jul 15th, 2014 at 07:51 AM. Reason: removed disavow link (page gone) and website link
  7. Super Moderator

From looking at the disavow file, you had a lot of bad links in the first place. Perhaps you can build relationships with other people in the field and get links that way, slowly but surely building back up? For example you can ask past clients for links, as well as any typists you work with etc.

Comments on this post

• Adam.W agrees
  9. No Profile Picture

Thanks GabrielG,

Do you think it is as simple as that? It would be good if it is. I get some crazy suggestions on other sites regarding this. Do you think more content would help? I have another site that hasn't been affected by google, www.global-transcription-services.co.uk
    Do you think i should just scrap the original site and work on this one instead?

Thanks
    Last edited by dzine; Jun 24th, 2014 at 08:52 AM. Reason: delinked, then approved
  11. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by Adam.W
    Panda has nothing to do with links.
    Hi Adam! If you had a bunch of links from sites that were helping you rank well but then these sites got in trouble with Panda the value of the link would be gone. Right?

Comments on this post

• Adam.W agrees
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Nothing in that disavow file strikes me as something that shouldn't be there. You simply had a lot of low-quality links and those you hadn't yet been penalized for presented a future risk. Building a new site does have its benefits since your existing one will never be viewed quite the same by Google. On the other side of the coin, I see that the existing site still ranks in the Top 20 on google.co.uk for 13 phrases, and these are rankings that would be lost in the transition. The choice is up to you. Consider the volume of direct traffic and the quality of what backlinks are left before making this decision.

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    Hi Adam! If you had a bunch of links from sites that were helping you rank well but then these sites got in trouble with Panda the value of the link would be gone. Right?
    This is a valid point and a great addition to my original comment. For the OP's reference, there was no Panda update in May 2013 so I do believe this to be Penguin. However, definitely keep this point in mind.

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic agrees
  15. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Hi all,

I just read the post and find it very interesting & would like to add something to it. First of all your website is very much present in Google you copy paste your website name in search query and you can see pages related to the website. Your website has approx 274 pages but google has indexed 242 pages out of which only 130 pages can be seen in google.com so your site is present on google.com.

Know the 2nd thing comes after using disavow you lose further ranking so it does mean that you or you seo company had disavowed few or more links that gives value to your website ranking. (link selection for the disavowed was wrong).

I really want to help you the only motto is to gain more knowledge from this case.

Before giving better solution may I know the keywords that hit the most with urls.

Thanks.
  17. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by SEO learner1
    Know the 2nd thing comes after using disavow you lose further ranking so it does mean that you or you seo company had disavowed few or more links that gives value to your website ranking. (link selection for the disavowed was wrong).
    Yeah, you are correct about the disavow, but I had them correct it and it uploaded ok. Thanks

Before giving better solution may I know the keywords that hit the most with urls.
    The main keyword is "transcription services"

Thanks again everyone for all the answers.

One question for the moderators. Are some of the answers people have given being deleted? I notice a few answers missing.
  19. Contributing User

and where is the website name.
  21. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by SEO learner1

and where is the website name.
    www.isabels-typing-services.co.uk
    Last edited by ClickyB; Jul 15th, 2014 at 07:51 AM. Reason: removed link
  23. Contributing User

Suggestion for you website

Originally Posted by Silver007A
    www.isabels-typing-services.co.uk
    checked your website home page only for keyword transcription services its about content
    As an individual word like "transcription", "services" & together "transcription services" are repeating without any reason (most of the time it comes under keyword stuffing ) try to reduce "transcription", "services" & together "transcription services" keywords which does not make sense from your home page.
    Note:
    1- CMS ( you have Word Press) based website some time creates multiple urls for same page that leads to duplicate pages.( check whether this thing is happening or not).
    2- You have used almost same Title, Description and Heading content on website page. ( make variations)
    3- Current title length 132 characters with space ( title characters limit with text max 70) are donít repeat words repeating words in title will not help you.

As of know this much only i am sure if you work on this it will help you.
    About back links part, it required time and should have trusted resources (like webmaster tool or paid ones) i am lacking both the things.
    Last edited by ClickyB; Jul 15th, 2014 at 07:52 AM. Reason: removed links
  25. No Profile Picture

I was wondering,

I have a second site with approx 80 pages of unique, good content that is positioned quite well and doens't have lots of spammy backlinks.

Both sites offer the same service and the keywords and content are similar in subject matter (not duplicated). In fact the keyword structure would be the same.

My question is, do you think moving all the content to the 1st site and setting up 301 redirects would help the seo and drive the site that was dropped last year back up the rankings?
  27. No Profile Picture

Thanks SEO learner1. There so seem too many instances of services and transcription in the text of the home page.
    Last edited by ClickyB; Jul 15th, 2014 at 07:54 AM. Reason: tidying up
  29. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by Silver007A
    One question for the moderators. Are some of the answers people have given being deleted? I notice a few answers missing.
    Yes, we remove spam and garbage (good housekeeping)
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]