1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Multiple Services at Multiple Locations

I currently work for a company that sold 1 service at 130 locations for the past 10 years. We rank in the top 3 at all locations for that service with a separate page for each.

For example, "tampa plumbing" would go to a local landing page.

We now are offering multiple new services. For example, gutter cleaning, and electrician work.

What would the best way be to make us rank for all services at all locations. It will be a massive undertaking to create a separate page for plumbing, gutter cleaning, electrical for every one of 130 locations, and probably not a good user experience.

Even if I have all the services listed on the same page, i don't want to damage our existing rankings. What do you think the best way to optimize for this is?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

If you add additional content to pages that ALREADY rank well for the services currently offered, I don't imagine adding more content to the page is going to hurt the existing rankings, provided the content isn't complete rubbish.

I agree - I don't think a page is justified for each service AND location. Keeping the existing location pages you have and adding information about the additional services is probably the best course of action here. You could organize the different services offered at each location with H1 or H2 tags serving as Headings and a paragraph or two of content below each heading. Any relevant keywords for the services in that location could be incorporated into the Headings or the content.

Once you optimize and publish the content, I'd monitor WMT to check your crawl stats and for the first few weeks check to see if Googlebot has cached the newest versions of the page.

Hope that helps!
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by daniel.o
    If you add additional content to pages that ALREADY rank well for the services currently offered, I don't imagine adding more content to the page is going to hurt the existing rankings, provided the content isn't complete rubbish.

I agree - I don't think a page is justified for each service AND location. Keeping the existing location pages you have and adding information about the additional services is probably the best course of action here. You could organize the different services offered at each location with H1 or H2 tags serving as Headings and a paragraph or two of content below each heading. Any relevant keywords for the services in that location could be incorporated into the Headings or the content.

Once you optimize and publish the content, I'd monitor WMT to check your crawl stats and for the first few weeks check to see if Googlebot has cached the newest versions of the page.

Hope that helps!
    Thanks Daniel. What are your thoughts on page titles and h1 tags? Currently they are all like
    "Service Name, CITY- Company Name" for the titles and the H1s are "Service Name City"

Should I add the new services into the titles and how about the h1?
  7. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by tennis3037
    It will be a massive undertaking to create a separate page
    Question: are the plumbers in all of these location also the gutter cleaners & the electricians?

Your original solution was just webspam that didn't get caught. It did the job but seriously I didn't know that plumbers in Tampa are any different than plumbers in Clearwater nor think plumbing standard in the same State (different place) or Country are different in any way? What can you possibly write about 130 times that isn't content spinning? Obviously if it is the same team doing the work they aren't actually different you are just webspamming Google.

The question I posed to you - you probably have a plumber, a gutter guy and an electrician which means you understand the need for different experts for each task. Before you destroy your existing business you had better turn your brain on. Just because you invented webspam (and it worked) does not mean you will have a repeat performance no matter how massive or minimal the undertaking is.

Hire someone that isn't going to f***up your domain so you don't rank for anything.

If you don't have the revenue for that... get the plumbers to do all the gutter & electrical stuff and use the revenue you were going to pay the gutter guys and the electrician and pay the SEO.
    Last edited by fathom; Sep 19th, 2014 at 02:23 PM.
  9. No Profile Picture

Maybe the example of plumbers wasn't the best, imagine it's a large chain of cosmetic surgery practices, so we want to rank for breast implants tampa, breast implants Boston, liposuction Tampa, Liposuction Boston, Botox Tampa, Botox Boston etc. it would be different doctors in each city, but doing the same services.

i was thinking keep each page separate for each location, but have location specific photos of the store, location specific customer testimonials, a bio of the staff at the store, a listing of any local events the store may be participating in, and the services offered.

My biggest challenge is unique enough descriptions of the services for each location, or maybe that won't matter much if they're mentioned in testimonials etc. Also, because each store has multiple services, and I want strong CTRs on the search listings, I'm not sure the best way to list all the services.
    Last edited by tennis3037; Jan 21st, 2015 at 06:16 AM.