1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Multiple GMB listings for one business

Scenario:

A home services (In-Home Service/Sales) company services several cities within a region from a single physical street address.
    Due to local search relevance this business may not show for someone looking in a particular city
    because that company's street address is not close to the person searching even though the service area
    covers that searcher.

So the home services company creates multiple GMBs to cover the service area and be relevant in local searches to
    show up for those searches.

My question is: Does that strategy hurt the company's SEO in the long run? Can that company's GMB and website still show up for localized
    searches even though the street address is not in the same city as a person doing a search?

Example: The business is in Chicago and serves Downers Grove. A person in Downers Grove searches for a service.
    Will the company's GMB be able to show even though there are other businesses physically closer?

Is it not worth the risk of harming the SEO rankings to have the multiple listings?

I really need help with this. We need to show for all searches in our service areas and also don't want to get penalized though.
    It feels like localized search hurts the in-home service industry which has service areas rather than multiple physical locations.

Comments on this post

• jubayerhossain agrees
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

1. A GMB is basically limited to a 30 mile radius.
    2. You may not have multiple listings just because you service more than one geographical area.
    3. You may have multiple listings if you have staffed offices in the other areas you want a listing for.
    4. If you do not have a showroom customers can come to, then you need to remove the physical address from your listing.
    5. If you attempt to create multiple listings you will run into snags that will prevent your doing so. You may in fact cause one listing to be disapproved, when applying for a second listing. Suffice to say, your efforts will be fruitless.
    6. No listings may share the "EXACT SAME ADDRESS". But a building with many businesses operating from Ste's are allowed and are considered different addresses.

You need to create a "Services Area Page(s) and target the locations that way. If done properly you can even create separate landing pages for each location, but this is a touchy area and if not done properly, can result in doorway pages which are against the TOS of Google. As such these pages will not help, but in fact harm your site.
    If you have never failed in your life, you have never achieved anything Noteworthy !
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I am guessing you don't have any actual physical location in those areas? If not then it would be better if you stick to the main GMB.
    1. Add service areas in that GMB.
    2. Create a Service Area Google My Maps Page and Make it Public
    3. Create Location Landing Pages on your website (Make sure you embed the my maps you've created) and Embed the actual GMB on the location page (on the main location landing page)
    4. Use Schema and try to rank those landing pages organically for the least

Do not try to trick Google.