1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

multi-city ranking

Hi Everyone,

I've tried to search for what i need but haven't really found the answer i'm looking.

I'm a band leader and my band provide music entertainment throughout the UK but we're based in London.
    The issue i have is that we rank highly in London but are pretty much nowhere to be found in any other cities in the UK.

The problem i can't seem to understand is how we could rank high in any city in the UK with no physical address. I've been told that we
    need to create a page for each city and create unique content for each city but that's impossible for us as we simply provide the same service
    throughout the UK.

what would be the best course of action for our site?

Many thanks for any help!

Sal
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Well you wont rank for places you dont talk about, so lets say Birmingham. If you dont have a page for talking about gig's you have done there then there is no connection for google to make.

However there is a word of caution to be added.
    I once targeted all 28,000 cities, towns, villages and hamlets in the UK and was extremely successful at it for product + town. we was on the first page pretty much for every town and in many cases number 1. This technique brought us a lot of customers as you can imagine, however then google announced they would penalise sites that geo target wholesale like this.I had to make a hard decision as the geo targeting was bringing us in so much work. My nerve broke before a penalty was issued and I removed the code which generated these 28,000 towns. It was a sad day as our order book too a dive but I guess it was better than having the site removed altogether.

If I was you, if you do a gig outside london then you should create a page all about it, the venue and get someone to take photographs so the page is full of content and you cant be accused of creating a door way page. I used to add a bit of history about the town so that the page is full of local information. This is the key into getting google to understand the page is about the town as well. Add a map of where the venue was and if possible add reviews of how the gig went.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Chedders
    Well you wont rank for places you dont talk about, so lets say Birmingham. If you dont have a page for talking about gig's you have done there then there is no connection for google to make.

However there is a word of caution to be added.
    I once targeted all 28,000 cities, towns, villages and hamlets in the UK and was extremely successful at it for product + town. we was on the first page pretty much for every town and in many cases number 1. This technique brought us a lot of customers as you can imagine, however then google announced they would penalise sites that geo target wholesale like this.I had to make a hard decision as the geo targeting was bringing us in so much work. My nerve broke before a penalty was issued and I removed the code which generated these 28,000 towns. It was a sad day as our order book too a dive but I guess it was better than having the site removed altogether.

If I was you, if you do a gig outside london then you should create a page all about it, the venue and get someone to take photographs so the page is full of content and you cant be accused of creating a door way page. I used to add a bit of history about the town so that the page is full of local information. This is the key into getting google to understand the page is about the town as well. Add a map of where the venue was and if possible add reviews of how the gig went.
    Thanks chedders! I was worried you we're gonna say something like this. The issue we have is that we don't have much content on many of the gigs we've done (my fault of course) I'm also annoyed that google would penalise a business for doing this if we genuinely provide services throughout the uk!

I also have a brand new band and I've just started some SEO on it. The issue with the new band is that we also don't have any content for any cities so it's basically it'll be impossible for us to rank anywhere but london. This doesn't sound very fair in my opinion.
  7. Dinosaur

Have a read of this link
    https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/2721311?hl=en

This is why I said manually create a page and fill it with content, if you can make it a landing page and not a doorway page then you should be OK. The real trick is to not over do it, Don't for example do all 28000 towns as that really is pure spam. But if you genuinely service say Oxford and have done gigs there then write about it and gather as much content as you can. There is no harm in adding to the text a few of the local villages nearby in some of your write up if you can work it into the text in a readable way. Again dont go spammy and mention 100 villages but be sensible.
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  9. No Profile Picture

Well it's only maybe 20-30 main cities I'd like to cover. Do the pages have to be visible on the menu?
  11. Dinosaur

no but you do need to link to them from somewhere else google wont find them.
  13. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by salmirabile
    what would be the best course of action for our site?
    Adwords