1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Moving to managed Wordpress hosting

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for some advice please.

I work on a small business Wordpress website and one of the areas we really need to improve on is page speed. Page speed insights has consistently reported that I need to improve on server response time - on average this currently reports as 3.7 seconds.

This has led me to monitoring my server and website which has reported regular server outages, usually around a minute in the middle of the night but one instance of 40 minutes. The hosting is not a managed package and the server was simply set-up and passed to our web developers who put the wordpress site live, therefore the server has not been optimised in any way and we get little help with anything.

On considering our options on moving hosting I have read a lot about managed Wordpress hosting. I have been speaking with WPEngine and I'm keen on the support they claim to give in relation to improving site speed by optimising the environment specifically for your website to achieve optimum speed and also recommendations on what could be slowing it down. The price we would be paying is the same as we currently pay for no help at all.

My reservations are:
    1) WPEngine sound great, but will they really be this good?
    2) We would be moving from a dedicated server/IP to a shared environment and IP, which concerns me that we might make gains on speed but lose weight on rankings due to sharing IP?

Can anyone comment on my reservations to help me make this decision please?
    Last edited by Hellyphant; Aug 4th, 2017 at 04:10 AM.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

1) WPEngine sound great, but will they really be this good?
    I know some sites that use it, anecdotally I haven't heard any complaints personally...I did do some searching around and it looks like there is more to their pricing than there seems, I'm seeing this overage pricing, here is a recent article on that https://www.shoutmeloud.com/wpengine-cons-picing.html , this may be something to look into if you're really going to be paying the same amount as your currently do...

Also, there are some configuration nuances to keep in mind, that may affect SEO: How WPEngine is Failboating your SEO

2) We would be moving from a dedicated server/IP to a shared environment and IP, which concerns me that we might make gains on speed but lose weight on rankings due to sharing IP?
    For a business website, it is typically considered best practice to be on dedicated hosting for the obvious reasons ...but to be fair I've worked with sites that use shared hosting that do have issues stemming from the shared hosting, but they are usually simple lead-generation focused sites... I don't think that the shared hosting necessarily a deal breaker but its definitely a significant trade-off.

Also, just a closing thought: there are services and freelancers that specialize in optimizing for Wordpress performance / environment, which may be something to consider as well...

Hope this helps!
    "...using this: sages act out of constructs but they do not rely on them"
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Fixing the server is my suggestion as well, and if the company you are renting from will not supply support for a fee, change companies.

As whiterabbit said
    Originally Posted by whiterabbit
    Also, just a closing thought: there are services and freelancers that specialize in optimizing for Wordpress performance / environment, which may be something to consider as well...