1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Moving ecommerce from one domain to a new sub domain, and rebuilding the main domain.

Hi all, would like to have your views on what would be the best things to do here.
    Sorry if I'm being all over the place, it's kind of hard to explain but I will answer any questions you might have to help me!

Here's the case:
    We have one website, e-commerce on www.companyshop.com
    And then there's the main website, for the company (not a shop) at http://www.companyexample.com

We have now rebuilt the entire e-commerce with a new commerce platform and we're gonna put it on
    shop.company.com.

The website on http://www.companyexample.com has also been rebuilt with WordPress.

So, http://www.companyshop.com will become shop.companyexample.com and http://www.companyexample.com will still be in place, but with a new CMS.

What I now I need to do:
    • Redirect every page and product URL from www.companyshop.com/* to shop.companyexample.com
    • Redirect every old page from the old http://www.companyexample.com to the new http://www.companyexample.com (including all content and such).
    • (with 301s).
    • I should check through all links pointing to the old e-commerce domain and kindly ask the largest ones to redirect to the new one. We also need to go through social media pages, adwords and all of course.
    • We should put a message on www.companyshop.com a week or so before redirecting saying that the site will move.
    • Should we keep the old site (www.companyshop.com) for a while? Maybe with noindex or canonical tags?
    • Create new xml-sitemaps and go through everything in webmaster tools/search console.
    • Which website will Google index most? Which website do we want Google to index the most?
    • Should we put a 301 or noindex on the startpage of shop.company.com since the main start page will be on http://www.companyexample.com which is integrated with the shop sub domain?

What more am I not thinking of? I would appreciate all help I can get since these are large websites (about 500 thousand visitors/month) and they both have good Google rankings.

Thanks in advance!
  3. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Ok, well first of all
    (about 500 thousand visitors/month)
    and you're asking for free advice on a forum?! You're going to put the fate of a website this large with strangers?

Fortunately, you've got some good people here who work on websites much bigger than yours (myself included).

Personally, why are you doing shop.domain.com instead of domain.com/shop as these domains I presume have a reasonable link profile (500k visitors a month after all). You would get a ranking boost on domain.com AND the shop. So that would be my preferred method of doing it.

Redirect them all to the RELEVANT page on shop.companyexample.com so category123 would redirect to category123. I presume the only part that will change is the shop.companyexample.com, the url path will stay the same?

• I should check through all links pointing to the old e-commerce domain and kindly ask the largest ones to redirect to the new one. We also need to go through social media pages, adwords and all of course.
    Yeah, however your 301 redirects should be a decent enough catch all anyway.

• We should put a message on www.companyshop.com a week or so before redirecting saying that the site will move.
    Up to you, personally I wouldn't, I would just redirect the customers straight away and pretend nothing has changed (unless it's a really big improvement then shout about it)

• Should we keep the old site (www.companyshop.com) for a while? Maybe with noindex or canonical tags?
    No, just redirect it. If you really must add something on the new site saying "we have moved from xyz to shop.xyz"

• Create new xml-sitemaps and go through everything in webmaster tools/search console.
    Crawl the new site for absolute links too.

• Which website will Google index most? Which website do we want Google to index the most?
    This is an unknown question, you want Google to index everything.

• Should we put a 301 or noindex on the startpage of shop.company.com since the main start page will be on http://www.companyexample.com which is integrated with the shop sub domain?
    No, don't noindex or 301 this page.

Comments on this post

• Chedders agrees : Sound advise
    • Pierre Benneton agrees
    • Will-O-The-Wisp agrees : Thanks!
    Always happy to help in private message. | Learn about my latest project Can You Get Automated Pages To Rank In Google?
    Useful Links: Useful SEO Tools | GTmetrix | FileOptimizer | Cloudflare
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by ThomasHarvey
    Ok, well first of all

and you're asking for free advice on a forum?! You're going to put the fate of a website this large with strangers?

Fortunately, you've got some good people here who work on websites much bigger than yours (myself included).

Personally, why are you doing shop.domain.com instead of domain.com/shop as these domains I presume have a reasonable link profile (500k visitors a month after all). You would get a ranking boost on domain.com AND the shop. So that would be my preferred method of doing it.

Redirect them all to the RELEVANT page on shop.companyexample.com so category123 would redirect to category123. I presume the only part that will change is the shop.companyexample.com, the url path will stay the same?

Yeah, however your 301 redirects should be a decent enough catch all anyway.

Up to you, personally I wouldn't, I would just redirect the customers straight away and pretend nothing has changed (unless it's a really big improvement then shout about it)

No, just redirect it. If you really must add something on the new site saying "we have moved from xyz to shop.xyz"

Crawl the new site for absolute links too.

This is an unknown question, you want Google to index everything.

No, don't noindex or 301 this page.
    Hey, thanks! I'm not putting it in the faith of unknown users, I'm just asking for more advice! And I thank you for your reply.

I know that the best thing would be domain.com/shop and not shop.domain.com - But we can't make this happen with the new platform, unfortunately.
    It's just the way it is and it's not only technical limitations but business politics behind it all.

I meant to redirect to relevant pages, of course we will do that.

But have I forgot anything? And how can we assume Google will index the sites? Of course we want to index everything, and the most important part is the shop since that's the money bringer.
    But the main domain, www.domain.com - will be easier for us to add content to, like blog posts and articles about products.

We also want people to see www.domain.com as the main website, since it has products on it - linking to shop.domain.com and will be easier to work with SEO (On page).
    But then again I guess google might rank shop.domain.com higher and then we'll have a hard time to promote the main website?

Do you understand my concerns/questions?