1. No Profile Picture

Meta Description Tags - Importance

Hey guys,

I have a question about meta description tags. I've always used them when optimising my site and always thought they were important for Google to realise how relevant your site is to a given keyword. This would usually be the snippet that shows up in the SERPs

However recently, I've noticed that the snippet in the SERPs is different depending on the keyword that you use. It is showing the same page and same URL, but sometimes the snippet is taken from the meta description, and sometimes it is taken directly from text on the page.

My question is - do Google use the meta description tag to determine where you rank, or do they just pick a snippet that they feel would be more relevant to the user?

Thanks for any help,
    Alex
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by Hillwalk Tours
    Hey guys,

My question is - do Google use the meta description tag to determine where you rank, or do they just pick a snippet that they feel would be more relevant to the user?

Alex
    No, the description tag has no bearing on your ranking what-so-ever. It's your one shot to create click bait to persuade folks to click your listing.
    If you don't create a proper description that is relevant to your site, Google will change it to what it thinks is better suited. Google may use
    data from different pages on your site, Dmoz listing, or a rich snippet, this list is not exhaustive.

Comments on this post

• Test-ok agrees
    • ThomasHarvey agrees
    • RH-Calvin agrees
    • Chedders agrees