1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

many websites vs one website

Hi there,

I have a business that has 5-6 different services that it offers, I have a question regarding the benefits of using just one website and driving all the traffic through to one website, vs creating 5-6 different sites (different URLs totally) and backlinking those sites together. If everything else remains equal, What is more valuable in Google's eyes? More traffic going to just one site, or back links connecting sites?

Thanks for your help.
  3. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

How related are your products? If it's 5 different types of home repair, 1 site, if it's laundry services and massage, then 5

Comments on this post

• Chedders agrees : yeap
  5. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

The other issue is its also 5 times the work, dont under estimate the time it requires to rank 1 site well let alone 5. It is never just a case of you build it and they will come.
    If they are just loosely related I personally would go with one as they all would benefit by your SEO and marketing efforts.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog
  7. No Profile Picture

Hey chaps, thanks for your responses, I wonder if I should clarify my question:
    Does Google, with its ranking algorithm, place more value on number of visitors to a website or number back links?
    I'm assuming that both of these variables (amongst others) contribute to the rankings.

In the above example 1 site would get 5 times the traffic but the other site would have 5 times the number of back links. which would rank higherr on this example.
  9. Dinosaur

Google search does no know how many visitors your site gets.
    It can make a guess by the traffic it sends you but it won't know about other sources
    Last edited by Chedders; Aug 12th, 2017 at 07:15 AM.
  11. No Profile Picture

If you have Google analytics loaded onto your site, surely they then know?

I guess then my question should even be more basic, is the number of visitors to a site, a big factor in terms of SEO?
  13. Dinosaur

According to John Mueller who works for google they do not use analytics data for ranking sites, the 2 systems are not connected. He reaffirmed that statement again only this week.
    If you think about it that makes sense as it would give an unfair advantage to users who use analytics instead of other systems.
    Last edited by Chedders; Aug 12th, 2017 at 09:28 AM.
  15. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by Chedders
    According to John Mueller who works for google they do not use analytics data for ranking sites, the 2 systems are not connected. He reaffirmed that statement again only this week.
    If you think about it that makes sense as it would give an unfair advantage to users who use analytics instead of other systems.
    analytics is just our dashboard, google doesn't need that UA to know traffic data
  17. No Profile Picture

Cheers cheddar, thanks for that info. I was always under the impression that Google counted web traffic as part of its algorithm.
    So if you put all else aside, like time taken to do the SEO, customer experience of finding everything on one site, the marketing of one vs 5 sites, from purely an SEO point of view, it would be better to have 5 sites instead of one and back link then all? If it's a building company that offers plumbing, roofing, plastering, tiling and building, it would surely be easier to optimise the SEO fit each of these individual niches (take the time taken to do it across 5 websites out of it - in purely interested in the SEO side)

Purely from an SEO prospective, Why would 1 site be better than 5? Am I missing something?
  19. Dinosaur

I think your way under estimating the effort it takes to do SEO and market your site, to be successful in a competitive market its pretty much a full time job in a lot of cases. Its not something you do when setting up a site and takes say 2 hours and your done. so 5 sites will take 10 hours, it really dont work like that.

The reason many will recommend the 1 site route is because in your example you offer building products, You gain a link from some respected plumber blog to the plumbing section. That brings your site some credibility and the all important page rank. Now your plumbing section will share that page rank around the rest of the site boosting the other sections as well.

I know you will be thinking, that's ok I will put a link to the plasters website but that is just 1 link and most of the page rank will remain on the plasters site.

Think about the marketing side as well, lets say you create a facebook page, you will need 5 of them, and be active on all 5, traditional marketing such as local advertising, again its x 5 , everything is multiplied.

Providing the sections are related and in your example they are then the 1 site route is by far the easiest.

There is one final thought as well why creating 5 sites is a bad idea and linking between them, this is called a PBN Google tend to not like PBN's and have taken out loads over the years, I know you will find examples of people still doing well but for everyone you find there will be 100's who are now regretting it.