1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Lots of help needed

I run a website http://www.trax-n-tabs.com. We (try to) sell Backing Tracks, Sheet Music and Guitar Tablature.
    We setup the site several years ago, but it's just grown, not because we are selling much, but because we love music and at 76 years old. I enjoy playing.
    A friend offered to do SEO work for us, but turns out he did NOTHING, so now I'm stuck with it.

First I AM A TOTAL BEGINNER. My knowledge of HTML, PHP, SEO etc is about zero. I'm a musician and I used to be a Novell Network Engineer before I retired, so I do know may way around computers.

Our site comprises of Albums (we call them Volumes). Each Volume has 15 Backing Tracks and 15 Musical Scores and Tabs. At this moment there are 64 Volumes. That' a lot of songs.

Our website presence is ZERO, so I'm starting from scratch. The site is in Joomla 3.7.x (we update it as new updates come out). The template was made for us in Artisteer. The Music Extension is called MyMuse

I've put page descriptions in the meta Description. I tried putting Song Names in as meta Keywords but I belive these are no longer relevant. I can't piy song titles in the description because then I end up with over 300 characters.

Where do I go now? I'm stuck!

Help is desperately needed, but talking to me about h2 and h3 and tags and spans is about the same as talking to me in Klingon unless you can explain it very well. Sorry, but that's how it is.
  3. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Hey,

Had a quick look at your site, as it's a passion project I'd be happy to jump on a skype chat or something along those lines and answer any questions you may have about SEO or just online in general, no money and no selling, just me helping out. You'll be able to ask any questions and tell me if I need to dumb things down.

Tom
    Always happy to help in private message. | Learn about my latest project Can You Get Automated Pages To Rank In Google?
    Useful Links: Useful SEO Tools | GTmetrix | FileOptimizer | Cloudflare
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by ThomasHarvey
    Hey,

Had a quick look at your site, as it's a passion project I'd be happy to jump on a skype chat or something along those lines and answer any questions you may have about SEO or just online in general, no money and no selling, just me helping out. You'll be able to ask any questions and tell me if I need to dumb things down.

Tom
    WTF is a 'passion project'? In any case, I need all the help that I can get. My friend Mathieu got me started on this web site. I was a guitarist for.a couple of (not famous) bands back in the 1950's and 1960's I lived in the UK in the Midland then, so I was in the wrong place at the wrong time, but it's always been a hobby, just playing that is.

Mathieu was making BTs and giving them away for free, but he exceeded his (free) bandwidth, so I could never download anything. I contacted him and offered to set up a website for him (for free) as I had done some with Joomla for my work and at that time and I was earning a lot of money from Novell and it all started there. Then we met up and he showed me how to make BTs so I eventually started myself. Mathieu also played for a band but had a couple of heart attacks, so it's his hobby as well, but as we are both on pension every little helps and it would be nice to be able to cover the cost of the site.

If you like music, find your way to the demos for both of us. The demos are FREE. You can also Google for Trax-n-tabs YouTube. We have a channel there also.

I don't have Skype at present but I do have my own mail server and I guess I could set Skype or something similar up.

In the meantime, I'll see if there is a PM here and I'll send you my mail address and we can move from there.

Thanx
  7. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

A passion site is simply a site done as a hobby. Something your passionate about but have no ideas of grandeur that its going to be the next facebook.
    No shame in that, its just recognizing the site will have a limited audience.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  9. No Profile Picture

Limited, I agree, but if you think about it, ANY musician can play almost ANY instrument for the melody line, you could even use the tracks for Karaoke, in fact my daughter is thinking about making Karaoke from the Backings that have vocals. I used to actually buy Backing Tracks myself (a) for practice and (b) I owned a Restaurant and Bar in Central America, a while back and I used to play in the Bar every weekend using Backing Tracks. These's a band in Holland that have a lot of my BT's with the Bass, Lead and Rhythm guitar missing and the play live with them, quite successful I believe
  11. No Profile Picture

Hi Baldur2630

Take it as a compliment from Thomas Harvey, calling it a passion project. I would....

A lot of your problems can be resolved in probably 10 minutes and get you to ranking sooner than you might imagine....
    Look real carefully at this picture... notice you have noindex, nofollow on your home page... FIX THIS ASAP !

Remove the following line of code from any page on your website, it looks as if it is only on your home page. but Check All Pages !

<meta name="robots" content="noindex, nofollow" /> <<< this line of code is hurting your site severely!

Comments on this post

• Chedders agrees
  13. No Profile Picture

Thanks, now the 'L' Plates show. What is the (best) way to find and change it. eDirectory (NDS) is really simple. HTTP is not yet in my scope. If you tell me how, I'll change it right away!
  15. No Profile Picture

Hey Mate, I got lucky, I just happen to run an add-on in Google, and noticed it. It's a crutch, what can I say.

Thomas Harvey has offered to help you. In my opinion, I would definitely take him up on his offer. If I were you, I would for sure.
  17. No Profile Picture

I accepted his help, I gave him my private mail server address. I don't use Skype, I use Brosix. I also gave him My Brosix ID, but so far nada from either. I can only wait and hope!
  19. No Profile Picture

Patience, young grasshopper.... give him time
  21. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by KnowOneSpecial
    Hi Baldur2630

Take it as a compliment from Thomas Harvey, calling it a passion project. I would....

A lot of your problems can be resolved in probably 10 minutes and get you to ranking sooner than you might imagine....
    Look real carefully at this picture... notice you have noindex, nofollow on your home page... FIX THIS ASAP !

Remove the following line of code from any page on your website, it looks as if it is only on your home page. but Check All Pages !

<meta name="robots" content="noindex, nofollow" /> <<< this line of code is hurting your site severely!

Eventually, I managed to find it. I was looking in the Articles, rather than the Menu Items. I changed it to index, follow. All the other pages are use global.

Now someone else tells me that although keywords aren't recognized by Google, they are by everyone else. Always mixed messages, just to confuse.

I take it as a bigger compliment when someone calls me a young grasshopper (Wish I was - young, that is). Still no word from Mr Harvey - guess he gave up on me!
  23. No Profile Picture

In my 76 years on this planet, I've become so used to people promising help and then 'forgetting' that I'm immune to it now..

So much for the promise of help, which never materialized. I got what I expected. Not to worry. It's just another dday and another forum to forget about.

Thank for the no index, nofollow tip. That's about it. Goodbye!
  25. Super Moderator

In my 76 years on this planet, I've become so used to people promising help and then 'forgetting' that I'm immune to it now..

So much for the promise of help, which never materialized. I got what I expected. Not to worry. It's just another dday and another forum to forget about.

Thank for the no index, nofollow tip. That's about it. Goodbye!
    Well, I've been spending the weekend with my girlfriend as it's been a bank holiday, so I'm sorry that I haven't spent much time on here. If you want the offer then I'm still more than happy to help but if you're expecting the world for a bit of free help then I'm afraid I'll be letting you down.
    Always happy to help in private message. | Learn about my latest project Can You Get Automated Pages To Rank In Google?
    Useful Links: Useful SEO Tools | GTmetrix | FileOptimizer | Cloudflare