1. No Profile Picture

Links from author bios - good or bad?

Hi,

I'm working at teaching myself SEO, mainly using Majestic SEO and the websites for a couple of conferences my employer runs. I have a question about one of them.

The DevWeek (.com) developer's conference has a number of back-links from the site developerfusion.com/.../slobbing-about-with-net. All these links come from high-quality content written by a conference speaker who is a recognised authority on his subjects. So far so good. From what I know of SEO, my understanding is that these links should be passing authority and helping boost DevWeek's search rankings.

But, the links don't actually originate in the content of the articles. They originate in the writer's bio, a footer which is identical in every article, which means the anchor text is also identical. So are these links helpful or hurtful to the DevWeek site? Should DevWeek ask Developer Fusion to make them no-follow links or would they be shooting themselves in the foot?

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Karl
    Last edited by dzine; Sep 8th, 2014 at 10:39 AM. Reason: delinked to comply with new members rules
  3. No Profile Picture

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for the reply. So is the worth of the link, regardless of whether it's in the bio or not, depends on the relevancy of the article to the site it's linking to? So is the best approach to look through the links, and check in each instance whether each specific article linking back to our site is relevant to the page it's linking to, and then:

1. If relevant, leave the link as it is, regardless of whether it's in the author bio or the body text of the article.
    2. If not relevant, ask the linking site to make the link nofollow and if that doesn't work use Google Disavow

If you disavow, and it hurts rather than helps the site's page ranking, can you undo the disavow at a later date? I'm guessing no.

Thanks again for your help so far.

Cheers

Karl