1. No Profile Picture

Link building strategies going forward from here

There is always some articles from SEO expert and other people about what is wrong and what is right in link building and then of course about changing Google policies towards link building.

So, I want to ask if directory listing, social bookmarking, etc have come under not so good practices in SEO link building? I read few articles saying so, but then I had also read articles saying Google loves directories like industry specific directories, geographical directories and all.

Also, directory listings also help us in NPA listings, isnít it? And so, what about blog commenting?

Oh, and yes, I have seen agency website who mention only directory listing, classifieds listing and bookmarking as their link building strategies. I frankly donít know how they achieve top rankings for their clients?

What I like to believe is that if we create and maintain a balanced link profile which has most kind of links in their then it would be relatively safer and good to achieve top rankings for the website in general. We can have the above mentioned linking sites PLUS gaining links through guest blogging, articles from social media sites, profiling, etc.

Would that be a better and safer strategy for SEO?
  3. My views are my own ;)
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I want to ask if directory listing, social bookmarking, etc have come under not so good practices in SEO link building?
    I am not sure if Google really frown upon these. My understanding is that they simply ignore these links because they are so easy to find

I have seen agency website who mention only directory listing, classifieds listing and bookmarking as their link building strategies. I frankly don’t know how they achieve top rankings for their clients?
    Most probably they don't

safer strategy for SEO?
    The safest strategy is not to do anything. That's the only sure-fire way to be safe (and yes, most likely move nowhere)

My own rule of thumb: the link is good as long as it brings referral traffic. I don't care about a link which no one will click. That's basically my only parameter. I don't care what type of link that is. If that's a good directory real people use to find websites, I'd go for it. Otherwise, why waste the time?

This strategy also builds traffic beyond Google which makes my business safer
    Everything will be ok in the end

If it's not ok, it's not the end
  5. No Profile Picture

Yeah, I too believe that if at all Google would have acted upon these easy link building practices (directories, classifieds, bookmarkings, etc.) they would have somehow devalued them or worse totally ignore these. But then, as you said, there are other benefits too, and yes, you get traffic from these. People are still searching in directories, and I have got few calls from my directory listings.

So, it's not just the Google perspective, it is getting your website to reach more and get viewed more. Get eye balls on it.

As for the safest seo approach, I think would be to look at top competitors' links & link profile and go for these, or better, improve upon these.