Thread: Introduction

1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Introduction

Hello, I'm not a developer as I have been retired for 15 years. I built web sites back then and my rule was to make the sites a pleasure to use no matter what equipment or internet connection the user might have. I have an aviation web site I started when I retired which now has 13,000+ pages. It is not fancy, but it is very fast loading and well liked by the aviation enthusiast community.

In recent months using the internet has become intolerable and annoying because of dismal page speed performance. I've joined hoping to find solutions to help me avoid opening terribly slow websites without having to run a speed test on each one.
  3. Just a Photographer
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Welcome to SEOChat! One of my interests is airplanes and specifically WWI & WWII aircraft.
    - Mike

Jack of all trades, master of none.
  5. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Is the problem on your side or the site that serving what ever? Or do you know.
  7. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Do you mean websites that are slow because they are more interested in serving ads than displaying content?
  9. No Profile Picture

I'm achieving the promised internet high speed connection, the observed results for slow sites are the same on my different computers and browsers. It's not so much the initial load time that irritates me; it's that on many sites, after the page has loaded, the text portion of the page jumps up and down when embedded images and advertisements load making it difficult to keep reading. I know there isn't anything to be done about this... it's probably due to the inefficiencies of "website builder" software that use templates. I know there isn't anything to be done about this in the short term, but this venue seemed to be a good place to rant.
  11. No Profile Picture

Yes! I think in many cases a website is an "advertising site" with pictures and information to give a site "legitimacy" so it can be found by search engines. I'm OK with that. It would be wonderful if page load times were listed along with search results. I'd just pass over the slowest sites. If I'm looking for a red pepper sauce recipe there are a bunch of them, so skipping over the slowest sites is no great loss. For important matters, I'll spend the extra time to view a slow site.
  13. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

You dont say what type of connection you have but if generally your complaining about load times on sites then your connection could be really bad. You may not have a option, I know here in the UK there are many areas that are still on good old dial up.

Of late many sites have been looking at site speed as the mobile era has taken us back 20 years in terms of bandwidth so a lot of the top sites take site speed seriously, the hobbyist type site though it does seem to escape them that speed is important for their users.

It is true though a lot of sites are filled with bloat which does not help matters, they fill the pages with huge graphics without any care for the user, There is not a lot we can do about them except attempt to educate but waiting a few seconds for the information you require should not be of major concern. .

Personally I think sub 2 seconds wait is always the target but normally not happy if its not a lot lower.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  15. No Profile Picture

My promised internet connection is 100 Mbps. Over a 300 mile distance the internet company's speed test site (speedtest.net) shows 104Mbps download and 6.6 Mbps upload. Over a 2000 miles distance it is 79 Mbps/6.6 Mbps. A different speed test product (testmy.net) shows 32.5 Mbps/8.0 Mbps over the same 2000 miles. Obviously there must be some variables introduced by the speed test sites. So while we're on that subject, what is the best way to test my internet speed?
  17. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

ya I tend to use speedtest.net for a quick and dirty test.
    The fluctuation though can be due to contention, Often ISP quote you will get 100 Mbps but what they forget to tell you that is shared amongst other people living near you. Here in the UK things have improved a lot over the years and contention ratios have dropped but 20 - 1 used to be common and higher. So you could run a speed test at 8pm and see a speed of 50 Mbps but after midnight get a speed of 110 Mbps.

To be honest a speed over over 50 is more than enough to load most web sites, even heavy graphical ones, watch youtube without it swirling, stream music etc. So why you are complaining I can only think there could be something wrong with your setup.

Which browser you use can be of benefit, I have not done any testing for some time but it was always the case chrome was faster than IE and firefox. I cant help on that score if your a apple user.
    It is also possible you have a load of mailware on your system so that could be drastically slowing down your system. If you have a smart phone connected to your wifi I would visit a few sites your having problems with on that and compare with your desktop computer, if there is a noticeable difference in speed then I would definitely start looking at some form of infection.

However this forum is about SEO and not tech support so I probably talked too much on this topic.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  19. No Profile Picture

I agree that the scope of any forum should be limited to its purpose, search engine optimization in this case. Nevertheless, thanks to all for the input as it has clarified my understanding of the independent variables which contribute to my frustration with some websites. I'll look for a different approach such as using search terms and features to manipulate the results to better suit my preferences.

If this forum closes topics when solved, I agree that this one is solved.