#1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    0

    International SEO


    We're creating new international websites for our business. So far, I'm going to recommend -

    - Using a different domain (i.e. - website.fr)
    - Using a hreflang for that country's language
    - Make website SSL

    Am I missing anything obvious? Never done international SEO before.

    Many thanks,

    Rhys
  2. #2
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,246
    Rep Power
    6650
    and whats wrong with
    domain.com/country/page

    That way you have 1 site to look after and any links you gain will benefit the site as a whole
    So in your example
    website/fr/page
    website/uk/page
    website/ what ever

    You iwll still need hreflang to show the different versions of each page for each language but overall it tends to be easier.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  4. #3
  5. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    0
    Hi Chedders,

    From my research, it seems that's the hardest way to get a page to rank. Because we're in Higher Ed, we'll be translating an entire site (about 10,000 pages) to target the int'l market.
  6. #4
  7. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    7,735
    Rep Power
    4753
    Ya do know Google translates for free, all one has to do is click on the translate link.
  8. #5
  9. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by Test-ok
    Ya do know Google translates for free, all one has to do is click on the translate link.
    Yeah it's not so much about translation, but actually trying to draw traffic from these countries. The translation doesn't actually help you rank in those countries we're targetting, but will be fine for branded searches yes.
  10. #6
  11. No Profile Picture
    Moderator
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,413
    Rep Power
    2532
    Maybe a different viewpoint will help you here....

    Originally Posted by Chedders
    domain.com/country/page
    ...
    That way you have 1 site to look after and any links you gain will benefit the site as a whole
    ...
    You will still need hreflang to show the different versions of each page for each language but overall it tends to be easier.
    Originally Posted by rhys12345
    From my research, it seems that's the hardest way to get a page to rank. Because we're in Higher Ed, we'll be translating an entire site (about 10,000 pages) to target the int'l market
    So you want to create a new site for each country that you target.... let just say for example you target 5 countries... that is 5 new sites, each with 10,000 pages , totaling 50,000 pages.

    You think that taking care of 5 different sites is is easier than one site. Keep in mind that you will need domain names, forget the registra fees, but you will have to have 5 SSL Certificates, etc etc etc... every thing will be multiplied by 5 in this instance. A whole lot of work.

    As Test-ok pointed out....
    Originally Posted by Test-ok
    Ya do know Google translates for free, all one has to do is click on the translate link.
    Originally Posted by rhys12345
    The translation doesn't actually help you rank in those countries we're targetting, but will be fine for branded searches yes.
    Don't overlook branded searches for traffic and revenue. Branded searches brings in the money, if you are making money off the branding does it really matter if you are #1 or #15. No, but that is an arguable point.

    That is why Chedders solution I think is the correct solution for you...
    One site, where you can toss all the link juice to.
    One site, Not 5 or more sites needing maintenance and updates individually when you do an update.

    Using the hreflang solution solves many issues...

    Makes your life easier, less work, less trouble. From the Corporate standpoint, it will be less expensive to implement, meaning your internal cost will be lower. Less folks needed to take care of the site. You can outsource the translation of each page. Then add each page as it is ready.

    No duplicate content issues
    No troubles with Google when you start interlinking the pages, because you would be using links that are do follow to link the sites for seo purposes if you use different domains. This will be an issue with Google. If everything is on one site, you can interlink all you want and no problems.

    Proper use of hreflang tags, rel canonical and rel alternate will be a much better solution for you....
    Code bloat, will be at a minimum.
    Each page will rank on its' own merits. Also each page will help the site
    Google will explicitly understand what you are doing and not impede your progress.

    Mate, you should go with Chedders recommendation. It will save you time, money, and will rank your pages faster and easier.

    Comments on this post

    • ThomasHarvey agrees : Agreed
  12. #7
  13. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,246
    Rep Power
    6650
    Thanks to the others who have explained my post in far more detail, I was short of time which seems to be normal of late.

    I know many people seem to think once the site is built that's it job done, however nothing could be further from the truth, its a full time job looking after a large site and if you have 5 or more to do then you should start planning on getting extra staff as well. I am not just talking about posting new content here, there will be updates, backups, tweaking, conforming to latests guidlines etc etc which is all really time consuming.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  14. #8
  15. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    0
    Hi both,

    Thanks for your advice. My concern is, we generated so little branded traffic from outside the UK, that we felt an independent domain which ranks in another country would help us draw traffic from there. business.co.uk/fr doesn't seem like it'll draw much traffic from searchers in France. However, I take your point about the sheer workload involved. Definitely something to think about.
  16. #9
  17. No Profile Picture
    Moderator
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,413
    Rep Power
    2532
    Since you have now told us that it's a co.uk domain, then that will present another issue. See how even leaving out the littlest bit of info can change our advice. LOL

    Most of your traffic will be limited to the UK, why, because you have a co.uk site, which targets the UK only so to speak.

    A slight change in strategy is needed.....

    Get a dot com name if at all possible. then 301 redirect your current domain to the newdomain.com/UK/page. This way the new site can contain exact copies of the current co.uk pages. Rankings will transfer directly after some little time. Your current site will maintiain its' current rankings. Also remember you will have to keep the current business.co.uk domain name or this will not work.

    business.com targets the whole world
    business.co.uk target the UK
    business.fr will only target Fr

    I think you get the point why you get little traffic outside of the UK with your current domain.
  18. #10
  19. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    0
    Haha, indeed. The issue is, we're actually .ac.uk (we're a university) so we can't actually change the TLD. Apologies - I should've specified. So yeah, the options actually are

    university.ac.uk/fr

    Or

    university.fr

    It seems like the latter is far more likely to rank, but obviously, I take the advice that it's also far more work.
    Last edited by dzine; Oct 16th, 2017 at 05:05 AM. Reason: delinked, then approved
  20. #11
  21. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,393
    Rep Power
    2207
    Haha, indeed. The issue is, we're actually .ac.uk (we're a university) so we can't actually change the TLD. Apologies - I should've specified. So yeah, the options actually are

    university.ac.uk/fr

    Or

    university.fr

    It seems like the latter is far more likely to rank, but obviously, I take the advice that it's also far more work.
    I'll be honest here, I'm not sure how Google treats .ac.uk domains. Are you able to take a screenshot for us in Google Search Console under Search Traffic -> International Targeting -> Country. Do you see this:
    Always happy to help in private message. | Learn about my latest project Can You Get Automated Pages To Rank In Google?
    Useful Links: Useful SEO Tools | GTmetrix | FileOptimizer | Cloudflare
  22. #12
  23. No Profile Picture
    Moderator
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,413
    Rep Power
    2532
    A little research for you,

    I would spend the 12 bucks / 9.12 GBP / 10.20 euros real quick on this one, before someone else does.......
    SeoChat threads have a tendency to rank rather quickly on the net. Some one may decide to prospect on this first if you don't, I am seeing all other variants range from around 1000 to 6000 USD.



    This one is less preferable because of the hyphen.


    The other alternative is to get in touch with EDUCause. They are the sole registrar for .edu domains world wide, because you're a university you may qualify.
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Oct 18th, 2017 at 11:37 AM. Reason: typo corrections
  24. #13
  25. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by KnowOneSpecial
    A little research for you,

    I would spend the 12 bucks / 9.12 GBP / 10.20 euros real quick on this one, before someone else does.......
    SeoChat threads have a tendency to rank rather quickly on the net. Some one may decide to prospect on this first if you don't, I am seeing all other variants range from around 1000 to 6000 USD.



    This one is less preferable because of the hyphen.


    The other alternative is to get in touch with EDUCause. They are the sole registrar for .edu domains world wide, because you're a university you may qualify.
    Hey,

    Sorry, I don't quite follow. You think it's worth buying one of the domains?

    Cheers,

    Rhys
  26. #14
  27. No Profile Picture
    Moderator
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,413
    Rep Power
    2532
    Originally Posted by rhys12345
    Hey,

    Sorry, I don't quite follow. You think it's worth buying one of the domains?

    Cheers,

    Rhys
    Yes, it will make it so you only have one site to take care of .

    ukacadamias.com/fr
    ukacadamias,com/de
    ukacadamias.com/nl

    Also since you are a University, then you may qualify for a .edu domain which screams hey I am a Univeristy, a place of higher learning!

    Also if you do qualify for a edu then, ukuniversity.edu is not taken .

    ukuniversity.edu/uk
    ukuniversity.edu/fr
    ukuniversity.edu/nl

    This way you get either a dot com or a dot edu. In my opinion you can't get much more on target !

    See how much easier your life will be. A single site, to take care of, etc, etc.

    But hey its just free advice, for what it is worth. A long time ago I quit looking at things with the aspect "I cant do this because" to "how can I accomplish this in the most effective way".

    This is how hw.ac.uk does international targeting .... code snippet from there home page.
    Code:
    <link rel="alternate" hreflang="en" href="https://www.hw.ac.uk/index.htm">
    <link rel="alternate" hreflang="zh-cn" href="https://www.hw.ac.uk/china/index.htm">
    I thought this actual code example would be useful to explain my point a little better. I just hate when people say " I can't", its just another way of saying "its not possible". I like to think things are possible !

    edited to add...
    Notice I left out the one with the hyphen, but that one is still an option, but would be my last choice.
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Oct 19th, 2017 at 08:41 AM.
  28. #15
  29. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    0
    Thanks! university.edu may be a really plausible option, but I'll pitch the idea. Cheers again!

Similar Threads

  1. International SEO - going about it the right way
    By ajphoenix in forum New User SEO Questions and Answers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Oct 8th, 2016, 08:12 PM
  2. International SEO
    By ThomasHarvey in forum Search Engine Optimization
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jul 19th, 2016, 09:48 AM
  3. International SEO
    By Spratters in forum New User SEO Questions and Answers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Mar 17th, 2014, 03:50 PM
  4. My Target Users Are International - Better To Use International SEO Company?
    By olimits7b in forum Search Engine Optimization
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Sep 26th, 2013, 03:25 AM
  5. Going international co.uk
    By Joe_GR3 in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Jun 7th, 2009, 04:19 AM

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo