1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Hundreds of back links with same anchor text

Hey everyone,

I have a question related to anchor text used in backlinks. My company sell web based applications and once the software is installed on clients' websites, on its login screen, there is a link to our website. For example: if script name is "Hotel Booking Script" when people install it on their websites (www.client.com/script/) on the login page for the script (often indexed by Google) there is a link to our website such as <a href='https://www.ourwebsite.com/hotel-booking-script/'>Hotel Booking Script</a>

We've been doing this for the last 2 years and with tens of thousands of software installations you can imagine there are many such links back to our website. As we recenlty noticed drop in our SE traffic that's one of the things we think we are doing wrong. We do this not only for backlinks but just so people using our products have easy link back to our website directly from their app administration pages. Of course, if so many links from so many different websites cause problem for our SEO we would consider removing these and make them visible only upon log in.

I will appreciate your professional opinion on the matter.

Regards,
    Veselin Stoilov
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

This is the same as widgets and themes that used to work. I am afraid the pattern is really easy for google to detect and at best ignore. In some cases it could be seen as spam and instead of providing you with a ton of backlinks it could do your site damage.
    The best way if you really need a link on that page is not to use anchor rich text or better still add rel-"nofollow". This then proves to google that your not attempting to manipulate SERPS. of course any power it is currently passing then would be gone so if you do that then its possible you may see a drop in ranking. However on a positive note if these links are not being trusted then it is possible you could gain some trust back and go up.

Its a hard one to call really without careful studying of your backlink profile but if you can change it I think I would be tempted to make it a nofollow link.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare | Backlinking 101: Backlinking 101
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, websites where we get our backlinks from has nothing to do with "PHP scripts" as these are regular business type websites. A massage studio using appointment scheduler script, a restaurant using food delivery script, a holiday property website using booking calendar, etc... So I start to think that these links do more harm than good and we have to change them to nofollow.

Veselin
    Last edited by veselin; Sep 19th, 2016 at 11:49 PM.
  7. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

If your trying to rank for that phrase your correct that it's harmming you.