1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

How Much Content is Needed to Stop Pages Appearing as Duplicate

Hey there guys!

I hope youre doing well!

So my client has a couple duplicate pages that id rather not canonical as id like them to remain indexed.

Here are a few:

zulu.org.za/places-to-go/elephant-coast-maputaland/mtubatuba-municipality-kz-275-P47181
    zulu.org.za/places-to-go/zululand/dinganes-mgungundlovu-capital-P54719
    zulu.org.za/places-to-go/south-coast/isandlundlu-P55091

Because id rather not canonical these pages, i was thinking it would be best to add better, longer descriptions on these pages (Not meta, the actual description on the page). My question is, how much content will be needed for these pages to stop appearing as duplicates or are there perhaps other alternatives besides adding more content to these pages?

Thanking you in advance!

Have a great day!

Chris
    Last edited by dzine; Aug 10th, 2016 at 09:31 AM. Reason: please take it easy on the URLs...
  3. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Why don't you want to canonical them? What's the advantage of having them in the index? Do they rank well?

All three of those pages could be improved by adding some descriptive text, I agree. If these pages have duplicates elsewhere, I think they need to offer something unique to visitors. Duplicate content isn't something that one needs to worry about unless it's being used, as Google calls it, with "malicious" intent - that is, with the intent of manipulating search engine rankings. In such a case, I believe it's more likely that Google will look at two identical pages and simply choose to display only one of them. It might display one for certain search terms and the duplicate for others...or it might choose to only display one page and just never show the second. You can read more here: https://support.google.com/webmaster...er/66359?hl=en

I don't think there's a hard and fast ratio or cut-off point for duplicate content...at least not that I know of. A page is either identical in function and content to another page...or it isn't. Perhaps other members will know more!
  5. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

You need a hell of a lot more content.

I loaded up all 3 pages and I dont have a clue what the site is about, I am assuming they are about some tours but a visitor to these landing pages would be totally lost as to what the site is about.

Totally confusing in my eyes.

Comments on this post

• Will-O-The-Wisp agrees
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  7. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Yeah, I mean, I didn't want to say it but those pages have so little content that they seem completely useless at the moment to me. But I can't see behind the scenes, so I don't know what value they have to you.