1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

How to know if Disavow file is working

So back in February I submitted a disavow file to Google. I did some research on Google and some other articles to determine how to structure this file. I remember seeing different ways of structuring the file on different blogs so I have always wondered if I did it correctly.

Below is the message I received in my webmaster tools

"Google has registered an update to the the disavow file of ___ The new disavow file contains 0 URLs and 129 domains"

I find it strange that it says "0 URLS" but I remember thinking that was weird when I was following along whatever blog I was using as a resource.

Here is a sample of what my disavow file looks like:

#The company I work for used to us an SEO company.
    #It appears that SEO company created a lot of these spam backlinks.
    #I have reached out to theses sites either via email or through their contact form. Majority of the sites have not responded and the ones that did want payment to remove the link.

domain:123linking.com
    domain:Linkspurt.com
    domain:gainweb.org
    domain:seolinksubmission.com

etc...

My question is, did I set up the file incorrectly by only including the domain names? Should I have included the actual page URLs?

Also do I need the intro explaining why I am submitting the request? Do I need more details about my attempts to reach the other site owners?

I am concerned that the next Penguin update is going to hurt my company's site. I took over this site when it was already set up with these links and I fear that I will get the blame for this as I'm the only one at my company that has experience with SEO.

Please let me know if you have any advice or suggestions that would be beneficial to me.

Thanks for your time.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

My question is, did I set up the file incorrectly by only including the domain names? Should I have included the actual page URLs?
    Its depends on the links you want to disavow, if you want to disavow only url, then you should include url links in the file.
    Also do I need the intro explaining why I am submitting the request? Do I need more details about my attempts to reach the other site owners?
    These files are not read by Google staff, contacting site owners for link removal take lots of time and most of them won't reply or ask for payment. So I think only one mail is enough to them.
    I am concerned that the next Penguin update is going to hurt my company's site.
    Only Google knows, large number of directory links from these sites might penalize your site. Disavow links from time to time is considered as a good practice.

I am not an expert, may be some other members able to explain this topic in more detail.
  5. No Profile Picture

@smartyank

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It's good to know that Google doesn't read these files so that I don't have to write a bunch of paragraphs about trying to reach out to other webmasters.

I'm not sure if I understand your response to my domain question. I understand if I put the specific URL in the file that Google will disavow it. However if I put the domain will Google disavow every link from that domain name? Or should I place all the links from each domain name in my file?

If someone could clarify this I would greatly appreciate it as all these spammy links fell into my lap when I took over the SEO.
  7. No Profile Picture

In case anyone else was wondering I found my answer here