1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

How to find an SEO agency?

I am curious about how to find a good agency. The websites that turn up in search results seem so generic - I can't tell what they actually do, or how to compare them.

Also, how are services priced? Hourly? Contract fee? Pay per results?
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

To be honest of late its harder to find a reputable cheap transitional SEO agency IMHO. Yes there are still ones out there who will build you 1,000 of backlinks but I dont class them as reputable any more. There are of course many offering PPC management and if that's what your after then hiring someone can actually save you money and gain you a lot more custom that attempting it yourself if your new to it.

Most will offer you a site audit but that's something that can be with a few tools yourself. Thats assuming you can interpret the results yourself and fix any issues.

In saying that there are a few great guys still around who can guide you with onsite SEO and also manage your off site marketing but picking a good one is always difficult.
    As for charges, they tend to charge what ever they can get away with, its never done on results though and mostly done on a contract basis with a minimum term.

There are a few expectations and some members on this site I am sure who would have a look at your site for a fee, provide you with content on a hourly basis and general advise.

I am sure others will jump in and say I am talking rubbish but thats my opinion and with all the penalties floating around hiring someone who could damage your site is now a risky business. This is why now I do all my own SEO and its done in house.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  5. SeoRaptor
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I jump in but I won't go against you Chedders

As you noticed, there are a lot of websites offering SEO services around and a lot actually sell nothing and are just there to make easy money.

Regard how services are payed there are 3 main options (just my opinion)

A project basis, -> Good when running a on page optimisation campaign.
    An hourly basis, -> Good after a first campaign when you start twiking things and testing

Per lead / per result, -> some do offer some payement methods and if you are sure you are contracting with a serious agency it can be an option, but be very careful because a lot of time problems might rise. False leading generation or use of black hat methods to get fast results (with all the risk they involve), etc...

Regarding SEO audit, it is easy to make a fast audit and you can indeed use a lot of free tools to get some insights but if you are looking for a full audit of your website there is no agency or freelancer I know that would provide such work for free. A full in depth audit is a lot of work and alone it can cost 100's or 1000's euros depending on the size of the site.
    Owner of Bennetonable - "My opinions are my own - Feel free to disagree & think above the fold."
    Need a quick analysis > Free SEO grader Beta
  7. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Pierre but your one of the ethical SEO guys who care about their clients. I was talking generally and as I said there are always exceptions.

I know from the number of SEO calls I get from people saying they can get me to page 1 has dropped drastically over the last 24 months, I honestly believe these rip off guys are finding it hard now and disappearing.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  9. SeoRaptor
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I wasn't taking it personally
    Owner of Bennetonable - "My opinions are my own - Feel free to disagree & think above the fold."
    Need a quick analysis > Free SEO grader Beta
  11. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by old-newbie
    I am curious about how to find a good agency. The websites that turn up in search results seem so generic - I can't tell what they actually do, or how to compare them.

Also, how are services priced? Hourly? Contract fee? Pay per results?
    your answer is in this thread. If Pierre is currently taking new clients you'd be lucky to have him.

Comments on this post

• Chedders agrees