1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

How to convince my company they need SEO

I am not a web site developer at the moment (I used to be) working now for a small company that has ZERO SEO on their site. When I look at their site I cringe, although they think it is great.

I am trying to find compelling reasons why they need SEO but in response I get:
    - we are a niche business
    - does not matter if we show up on Google search
    - we don't care if we show up in organic search since don't cater to end client
    - we've been in the business for many years and people who want our services know who we are
    - if they are looking for our type of services they look at specialty publications/site/conferences to find companies not by searching Google
    -our clients/customers are not using Google to find us, they just type our name directly to go to our site

I ran a quick evaluation on optimization and they rank at 40% for overall optimization and their global position is 7,000,000. No meta-tags, keywords, descriptions, 11 MB images with no alt tags, no back linking, no blog.

How do you convince a business to do SEO when they don't think there is any value to it?
    The only reason so far is that they might have to change their business focus next year and offer services to end customer so it would be beneficial for them to start working on SEO now so if/when they decide to go that way they will be already ranked and ready and the potential clients can find them through organic search.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I guess you could find evidence that there is a need for their business to be found. You could do this through keyword research by finding what kind of volumes of traffic your (would be) target keywords rake in...

That alone should sway them really. Unfortunately, the ones with power are normally the older generation - some adapt, some don't. Maybe they'll find that they need to adapt when it's too late...
    Yorkshire tea will probably answer your question...
  5. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

"We have always done it this way and its always worked."

I can just hear it now. there is a term sometimes used, flogging a dead horse, in other words you could be wasting your time. Many old school professionals just cant see the need or value what the net can bring them. I have seen it many times over the years, sometimes if they are not willing to change it can be best to move on as they wont be around long term even though their great great grandfathers setup the business.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  7. No Profile Picture

After all this is totally depend on your convincing ability & the way you put your presentation in front of them. This the most difficult task to convince niche product marketer to convince for SEO. You can simply show them the reports of their websites and on the basis of that reports you can just show them why they need to improve. Convince them on the point that by doing SEO you can attract more customers to buy their product. Use some heavy words so that it will affect in your conversation.
  9. No Profile Picture

Maybe gather stats on their competitors... search position, Moz DA, etc.

Show them that, as they enter the consumer market, people will be finding their direct competitors. That can be very motivating for many businesses.