Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

How Is this Competitor Beating Us for the Keyword Our Actual Domain Is?

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to pull together a takedown brief for a client of ours to give them the exact
    reasonings and proposed tactics to outrank a certain competitor. The service is
    lasik eye surgery, and our client's domain is <snipped> however, they still rank #2
    for "lasik omaha" and other related kewyords, while their competitor "Omaha Eye and Laser Institute"
    ranks #1. How can this be when their actual website is <snipped>? The reasons I've pulled
    together is Crawl Depth and Domain Authority. Omaha Eye & Laser has a higher domain authority
    (but only by 1 point).

Their brand name is also searched more than our client whose name is actually Kugler Vision.
    Should I advise them to change their website back to KuglerVision.com and just have lasikomaha.com
    redirect to that? I know they need to clean up their site and crawl depth since it's not as good as
    Omaha Eye, but is there anything I'm missing? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Nov 11th, 2017 at 05:02 PM. Reason: removed site link at OP's request
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I don't know if I'm missing something here? I typed in "hi" to google, look at the results:

Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 19.21.37.png

hi . com didn't come up?

Are you asking why keyword matched domains don't automatically become #1? Read this -> searchengineland.com/library/google/emd-update

The update was in 2012. I mean, you're 5 years out of date, why are you charging for a service you know nothing about, no offense?

Comments on this post

• Chedders agrees : totally on point
  5. No Profile Picture

Did you mean to reply to me?

I stated in my post that my client wants to rank for the keyword "lasik omaha" - which
    they do - they rank #2. Their competitor, Omaha Eye and Laser Institute ranks #1.

I'm asking why the competitor keeps beating them when the client's website itself is <snipped> and has a much more robust content and SEO strategy than Omaha Eye and Laser.

Please re-read my post. I'm not sure you even meant to respond to mine because your response makes no sense!

Comments on this post

• KnowOneSpecial : You are Wrong....they don't have a better strategy
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Nov 11th, 2017 at 05:04 PM. Reason: removed site at OP's request
  7. No Profile Picture

I'm not saying just because their domain is <snipped> means that they should be Number 1. I didn't make that their domain, they did. I'm flat out asking what reasonings other than crawl depth and brand awareness can you suggest? Also, do you think I should tell them to move to <snipped> and just have <snipped> redirect back to them.
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Nov 11th, 2017 at 05:06 PM. Reason: removed site at OP's request
  9. Contributing User

"How can this be when their actual website is <snipped>?"

Why would that matter?!
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Nov 11th, 2017 at 05:07 PM. Reason: removed site mention
  11. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

The domain name itself has little to do with rankings any more, please re-read matt1966 post. He is totally correct.
    If you honestly think the domain name is the driving force here I am afraid your very much mistaken and way behind the times.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  13. No Profile Picture

Okay, maybe I'm phrasing this wrong.

I get that that is not the only factor. But I am having a hard time figuring out why else they are beating them when their site is much smaller, has little to no content. <snipped> has a robust blog. The site has been completely optimized. I don't want to suggest that they move their site to <snipped>m and then move further down in rankings if in fact <snipped> in their domain is actually helping, since I wouldn't consider it a "poor" site like watchmoviesfreeonline.com or something like that.

So forget the Domain Name thing for one second - and please let me know if there are other factors? I've ran site audits on SEMRush, I've conducted site speed audits, the works. The only thing I can possibly come up with is crawl depth and domain authority. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something else. And also - if I should tell them to move to <snipped> instead. But if I tell them to do that, they could lose the #2 spot for lasik omaha and related words... right?
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Nov 11th, 2017 at 05:10 PM. Reason: removed site at OP's request
  15. No Profile Picture

I don't. What I said came out wrong. I just meant that this site has absolutely nothing over them. Domain authority is only one point away from each other and they do not have the content that <snipped> has. Forget the whole domain thing. Can someone just explain what else I can look into or how I can help them get ahead of Omaha Eye and Laser?
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Nov 11th, 2017 at 05:11 PM. Reason: removed site mention
  17. Contributing User

I'm really sorry dude, but you shouldn't have paying clients. I don't want to come across as unpleasant, but I've been in the industry for only a year and I wouldn't dream of taking clients at my current level - yet even I can acknowledge your beliefs are mind-boggling, I think it's fine to take on your own projects with no experience, but it's totally wrong to be the controller of somebody else's livelihood, whilst knowing literally nothing on the subject.

It's not only the keyword match comment, domain authority also has no contributing factor to the SERPS.
    Last edited by matt1966; Nov 10th, 2017 at 03:06 PM.
  19. No Profile Picture

Okay, thanks for your help!
  21. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Links aren't mentioned anywhere, maybe you should start there.
  23. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Also the OP mentioned DA ! Here ... we .... go.... again.

The emd update. Penalizes exact match domain names when the site has thin content and back in the day, ranking just because of the domain name...

You got Good Quality Content, you will not be hit by this update.

DA, is a moz metric, useless for ranking a site. You increase DA and PA by building links... Imagine that, link building...but Google doesn't use DA PERIOD !!

Now <snipped> is a good domain name, don't get me wrong. But Google is not giving you any boost because of the name.
    So you are crutching on the name and it ain't the the thing to be wasting time on, Sorry !

All of this thread is talking to you... but I am going to solve your dilemma, it took me all of 5 minutes to figure this out...

Your Competitor....

Below is your client... Now do you understand. matt1966 and Test-ok and Chedders tried to help you, Test-ok even gave you your answer, but you didn't pay attention., sorry , no offense.
    BTW, it really doesn't matter what the domain name is really, but it does help to have a brandable name, people remember it, and can type it easily.
    You could actually change the domain name to <snipped> and within weeks, have the site ranking again. But that is just my opinion. Put a 301 redirect on the old name to the new name, badaboom, badabing, done !!

Comments on this post

• matt1966 agrees
    • Test-ok agrees
    • Chedders agrees
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Nov 11th, 2017 at 05:15 PM. Reason: forgot to mention Chedders
  25. Contributing User

Great research by KOS as normal! (edited to get correct name in post. LOL)

The issue now is, if they have as little knowledge about links as they do everything else; they'll probably go out and buy 120,000 links for $1.50 from Fiverr or somewhere with the idea that it'll make them rank higher than the competitor. (don't do this please)

I've had a look at the SEO company who posted this threads twitter account and website, in other aspects of marketing they actually look ok. They look professional. I don't get it?
    Last edited by matt1966; Nov 10th, 2017 at 07:15 PM.
  27. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I think matt1966, this is a case where an intern has been thrown to the wolves by their company to expedite learning, I could be wrong. It happens a lot I do believe.
  29. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Now do you understand. matt1966 and Test-ok and Chedders tried to help you, Test-ok even gave you your answer, but you didn't pay attention., sorry , no offense.
    I was expecting the person getting paid to do the work...Not You KOS
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: