1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

How to beat SEO cheats

As a small local business owner in a competitive industry, I am competing with mostly similar solo operators but also against a couple of "big guys" who rank #1 for almost every suburb in Melbourne(Aus) for the main KWs.

I'm a little cautious stating specifics, however the "few" businesses that constantly dominate organic results have exactly the same landing page on a different subdomain with only the suburb changed. At a guess I would say there are hundreds of potential suburbs they have a subdomain for that rank..

I don't know whether google consider this as funnelling or spammy or something else, but my question is should I bring this to the attention of google, and if so, how? Or do I focus my attention on my own website and wait for google to eventually notice the "black hat" sites?

I would love to list a few urls to give a better example but am concerned that might not be appropriate here unless approved by a moderator.
  3. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

If you're comfortable posting the links, you can. Just post them without the "https" part, so just website.com for example.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Thanks MarkR, I had PM'd Chedders who suggested the same thing. Here are a few examples for others to consider.
    There are well over 100 maybe lots more (I haven't counted) of exactly the same landing page with only the suburb name changed that all rank #1 organically for the keywords "driving" +"school" or +"lessons" +"?suburb?".

driving-school-noble-park.street-directory.com.au
    driving-school-brunswick.street-directory.com.au
    driving-school-dandenong.street-directory.com.au
    driving-school-mill-park.street-directory.com.au

From these examples I find it hard to understand how Google do not recognise this as duplicate content or spamming as they are all EXACTLY the same except for the suburb name. As I suggested there may be 100s of the same pages for this company.

Is it due to subdomains that allow it to slip under the radar? Or the use of images/video or other html tags that hide the viewable duplicate content from the search engine? Or is this (by Google standards) a totally acceptable way for a business to rank for multiple suburbs?

What do the experienced members of the SEO industry think? Is this the way to rank for a local business or will Google eventually penalise this type of website SEO?
  7. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

I was asked this in private email and was sent the links. Below is my reply

Its fine to post the urls but just dont include the http bit so its link a link.

I had a very brief look, ya I can see exactly what they are doing, but they are not even doing it very well.
    Here is a list of the towns I think they are spamming http://driving-school-epping.street-...school-suburbs

The issue is they are not doing it on their own site. They are using street-directory.com.au.

If I get more time later I will look deeper into it but if you feel they are spamming you can report them viahttps://support.google.com/webmaster...er/93713?hl=en
    It can take a while but I have done it in the past and real humans do look into it.

Hope that helps

Comments on this post

• ThomasHarvey agrees
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare