1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

High SPAM Score on MOZ

Hello.

I have an e-commerce and recently checked that my Spam Score on MOZ is 7/17. At Open Site Explorer from MOZ it gives me the following info:

7 Total Flag Spam including:
    - Low MozTrust or MozRank score
    - Large Site with Few Links
    - Ratio of Followed to NoFollowed Subdomains

Well, my Spam Score was often 3/17 and after a few months it increased a lot with no reason (at least for me).

I will describe some actions that I currently do:

- I have a blog too where I post exclusive content about the niche of my e-commerce and I often link a keyword to my store;
    - Almost every product has Link Juice and also SEO optimized description;
    - Have some backlinks from others blogs from the same niche.

Starting from the information that MOZ gave me, I've found that 180 backlinks from my store, just 2% are NoFollow.

Can you help me with some advices and tips to decrease that Spam Score? Do I have to care about using more No Follow links, even in my blog that is a subdomain of my store?

Thanks in advance! ;)
    Last edited by IceFlok; Jun 21st, 2017 at 08:17 AM.
  3. My views are my own ;)
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I am not really sure how Moz calculates the rank... I never actually paid attention. If you are worried that it has increased, look closely at your links. Have there been an increase in inbound link to your site? Have you been doing anything to build links?
    Everything will be ok in the end

If it's not ok, it's not the end
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Ann Smarty
    I am not really sure how Moz calculates the rank... I never actually paid attention. If you are worried that it has increased, look closely at your links. Have there been an increase in inbound link to your site? Have you been doing anything to build links?
    Hi, Ann! Thanks for your reply.

We did a Linking Building strategy until November/2016. Basically we built partnerships with blogs from our niche.

From now on, the only action we are taking to create more links is linking pages from the store on posts of our blog. These links goes in keywords that are relevant at the moment. For example: we are selling new shoes, so we develop a post on our blog talking about the best shoes to wear in the winter and link the category page in a word like "best shoes for winter".

I am afraid that the worst problem is that now we have just a few backlinks still active because we stopped with the partnerships, so I've started searching for blogs with high DA and PA to build new partnerships, because mostly of the links are now from our own blog.

Just adding information: I have an e-commerce with the following URL -> myStore.com and the blog at -> blog.myStore.com

Hope that I made myself clear! If you need more information, feel free to ask!
    Last edited by IceFlok; Jun 21st, 2017 at 02:34 PM.
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I would not be super concerned with moz metrics, how googles scores websites is signficantly more complexed and nuanced. But I can comment on the concerns around "spam flags"

"Low MozTrust or MozRank score"
    This would appear if you have backlinks from relatively new sites.

"Large Site with Few Links"
    This would appear if you have a new site that has not yet established a backlink profile

"Ratio of Followed to NoFollowed Subdomains:
    this is not a factor for google, especially since many publishers now a days default to no following links.

Well, my Spam Score was often 3/17 and after a few months it increased a lot with no reason (at least for me).
    Is it possible that Moz just changed something on their end? I'm not concerned.

things that stand out to me:
    "Almost every product has Link Juice"
    Are you building links directly to product pages? Can you clarify this? If you're buying links directly to product pages, that may actually be an issue.

As far as reducing your spam score, I would not pin your strategy on this. Focus on building quality citations and establishing your site as a valuable resource in your niche. Tactically speaking, this comes down to creating valuable contnent and focusing on driving high quality references from real publishers or communities in your niche; unfortunately, there are no short cuts... as you develop your presence more, those spam signals in moz should be reduced or go away.

Hope this helps...
    "...using this: sages act out of constructs but they do not rely on them"
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by whiterabbit
    I would not be super concerned with moz metrics, how googles scores websites is signficantly more complexed and nuanced. But I can comment on the concerns around "spam flags"

"Low MozTrust or MozRank score"
    This would appear if you have backlinks from relatively new sites.

"Large Site with Few Links"
    This would appear if you have a new site that has not yet established a backlink profile

"Ratio of Followed to NoFollowed Subdomains:
    this is not a factor for google, especially since many publishers now a days default to no following links.

Is it possible that Moz just changed something on their end? I'm not concerned.

things that stand out to me:
    "Almost every product has Link Juice"
    Are you building links directly to product pages? Can you clarify this? If you're buying links directly to product pages, that may actually be an issue.

As far as reducing your spam score, I would not pin your strategy on this. Focus on building quality citations and establishing your site as a valuable resource in your niche. Tactically speaking, this comes down to creating valuable contnent and focusing on driving high quality references from real publishers or communities in your niche; unfortunately, there are no short cuts... as you develop your presence more, those spam signals in moz should be reduced or go away.

Hope this helps...
    Thanks for your reply, White Rabbit!

Just explaining the "Link Juice": I have a Spider Man T-Shirt. At the description I write "Did you like this shirt? Find more <link for the main category t-shirts>t-shirts</link for the main category> for your son!"
    Is it better now to understand? This link is from my own store. So I can navigate from a specific product to the main category more quickly.

As you said, I will start to develop a better Linking Building Strategy to reduce this score! And also, I have a question: you said that publishers are using more No Follow links. Do I have to use from now on No Follow links on the post from the store blog?

Thanks again!
    Last edited by IceFlok; Jun 21st, 2017 at 02:45 PM.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi IceFlok,

I recently answered this question the other day on how to reduce your spam score... Take a look! Please if you found this helpful up-vote my comment! Check out the thread below:

Spam Score Became 6