1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Having Trouble with My Ranking

Hi all,

I was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction.

My site www.k9dojo.ca was ranking in the top spots for almost all keywords on Google.ca in October and most of November.

For some reason I have now lost all of my ranking on Google with the exception of some local map listings for specific keywords.

For the life of me I cannot figure out what I did wrong, my site is all original content, I make a point of releasing regular blog posts with great information for my visitors every month. I am not spamming my keywords or my meta tags, not doing any spam link building. I have built legitimate local citation on well known local sites. I also have great reviews from my clients on both of my Google local listings (one for each of my locations, which are clearly stated using Google maps on the site). I am extremely active on Youtube, Google+ and Facebook.

I don't know what I have done wrong. If someone can point out something I missed that would explain this ranking drop, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by dzine; Dec 5th, 2013 at 11:40 AM. Reason: delinked, then approved
  3. Traffic drop sleuth. :)
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Hi. Here are a few questions:

-How old is your site? If you started last year and had high rankings for
    -Take a look at your Google analytics. Go to "Acquisition" then "All traffic". Then click on google/organic. Adjust the dates to show everything for the last two years (or if you haven't been around since then, go back as far as you can.) Can you see a date where the traffic starts to drop? Is it a sudden drop? Or if it is gradual, what date does it appear to start on?
    -What do you see in Webmaster Tools when you go to Search Traffic-->Manual Actions?
    New: Learn SEO - A complete course for beginners:LEARN SEO
    Want to hire a reputable SEO? I'll connect you with an SEO company you can trust.
  5. I will challenge anyone!
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Hi,

Just put my two cents in real quick. I checked your links and a portion of your site. It appears you have had growth in organic traffic which went up over last couple of months for a few long tail keywords and you lost "all" long tail traffic. Occasionally when that happens you could attribute it to a Panda "sitewide" filter. You will see you site ranking only for one or two keywords or its name only. For a site a of your size I would suspect it would take about ten or so ranking pages to make the whole site fall flat on it face. Remember: filters and penalties are not applied until the pages start to rank or are ranking.

Here is an example: go to this page on your site: keeping-the-dog-out-of-your-bed-even-when-hes-cold

You have the word dog appearing 15 times in a 400 word (lame) article. Just being honest with you! - basically made for search engines and no value for readers. I checked a few other pages and you basically have the same issue; your pages are written for search engines and not for users. I see you have hired an SEO company which is great. However, I would take the stance of Dr. Pete and go the 90/10 route and concentrate on 90 percent of your efforts which great value add content and 10 percent link building. Especially for a site like yours.

In sum, and again, my opinion, you have more on-site issues then off site even though you could get rid of some links, I don't believe that is the major issue. I would have a little chit chat with your seo company and you may want to ask about the importance of value add content and "NOW" is way more important then ever before. And the solution is simple, it has to be content that people like to read. I am sure there are many ways to create something about dogs (people love pets) and make it go viral. Best of luck.