1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Harms of two domains with same content

Hi, ive read about duplicate content and the myth thereof but i cant find a solid answer to the following:

A client has a domain 2 domains (example) notgoodranking.com and goodranking.com

The business is branching out further and is starting to manufacture their own products.

ultimately they want to use notgoodranking.com for the company but because the ranking is not up to scratch yet, can we add the new website
    content to both domains so that:

notgoodranking.com can grow/improve
    goodranking.com can gain visitors for the new services and generate some business so long.

So, both websites will have exactly the same content until notgoodranking.com improves at which point well probably re-direct the old site to the new.

Or would it be better to add the content to the new website with poor ranking and redirect everything already?

Please advise me or let me know your thoughts
    Last edited by Designalex; Apr 20th, 2017 at 06:46 AM. Reason: addition
  3. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

There's not enough information here to provide a detailed plan for you. I recommend the company hires someone with experience in this type of issue or you could end up irreparably harming this business.
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Hi.
    That is actually the plan, to get someone that knows more than I do.
    I just thought id do some homework and turn it into a learning experience for myself.
  7. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I understand. My fear here is that I will someday give advice that hurts instead of helps, just trying to prevent that. There are so many variables in your question that I could ask 100 more questions to go to the right answer

Comments on this post

• KnowOneSpecial agrees : My fear as well KernalPanic
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

One hazard to consider ....

If both sites have exactly the same content... ie identical down to the last letter... then Google will fold the serps. Folding is where Google will list one site over the other site. In addition to that, Google may see-saw the serps. Listing one site one day and the other site the next day for same query. Google take into account all things phone numbers, street address, contact info and whois info. Google became a Domain Registra 8 years or so ago. So if you do any cross linking to boost rankings I am afraid you will be seen by Google and its' zoo of animals will stampede upon you.

My recommendation would be not to do it and as KernalPanic stated, hire a pro to do the sites, someone that knows how to hem the sites together with no penalty.