Thread: H tags

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

H tags

Are H tags still helpful in a website? I see some websites that rank, but the headers in their pages are messed up.
  3. Moderator
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Headings aren't a huge ranking signal. Design your headings to keep the user on the page.
    Define "messed up"?
  5. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

H tags are just 1 of over 200 signals google use to determine a pages position. How strong the H tags are is debatable but rest assured google tweak the importance almost on a daily basis.
    The key thing really is to become OCD on everything that could be improved or made better than your competition.

Comments on this post

• digitalmilkshak agrees
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare | Backlinking 101: Backlinking 101
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by matt1966
    Headings aren't a huge ranking signal. Design your headings to keep the user on the page.
    Define "messed up"?
    By "messed up", I mean the headers are arranged in no particular order, e.g. the h2 precedes the h1 and then followed by h3s, only h3s and h5s are in the page, etc.
  9. No Profile Picture

They're more than helpful. Yes Google do use many other areas, page speed, usability, traffic, bounce rate, word count and loads more but the H1 (site title) and H2's inform Google on the important info it should be ranked for and how relevant your content is to the search phrase. Use wisely
  11. Moderator

They're more than helpful. Yes Google do use many other areas, page speed, usability, traffic, bounce rate, word count and loads more but the H1 (site title) and H2's inform Google on the important info it should be ranked for and how relevant your content is to the search phrase. Use wisely
    - Page speed is only a ranking factor is a page is VERY slow
    - Traffic.. not a ranking factor
    - Word count, not a ranking factor

As for your H1 / H2 point, have you got any evidence that H1's / H2's are an "important" ranking signal?
  13. No Profile Picture

Sorry Matt, I'm no expert.

Just in my experience Google tend to register anything above 500 words as valuable content, the more words and strategic positioning of keywords / phrases / h tags within that content will and does effect your ranking.

Traffic will increase or decrease your bounce rate. This is a huge indicator of the value of your site. Not everybody will be taken by your content and Google will let you know if it's crap.

But to help the guy, YES your website would benefit by correct use of a title or H1, h2's. Changing a site title and serp has huge bearing on the results you are found for. The only evidence I have to support my blasphemy is the results from the changes on our own website. Not sure if that would stand in court though.

Sorry if i offended Matt. Just a newbie offering my opinion.

Comments on this post

• Leeb agrees
  15. No Profile Picture

Completely agree with you.

Whenever I carry out an SEO audit Header tags are one of the areas I look at in more detail. H1 tags are one of the indicators to Google bots to let them understand what the copy is about on the page along with the Meta title.

Recently a client of mine had a bad header structure as soon as I corrected it the rankings increased.

Obviously there was a huge sigh of relief from me
  17. No Profile Picture

Thanks Leeb, it's not our first rodeo.
  19. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by Leeb
    Completely agree with you.

Whenever I carry out an SEO audit Header tags are one of the areas I look at in more detail. H1 tags are one of the indicators to Google bots to let them understand what the copy is about on the page along with the Meta title.

Recently a client of mine had a bad header structure as soon as I corrected it the rankings increased.

Obviously there was a huge sigh of relief from me
    You didn't make any changes to the site apart from headings?
  21. Moderator

Sorry if i offended Matt. Just a newbie offering my opinion.
    Not offended at all!
    Reality is, facts aren't even facts in SEO.

Things we believe are true are normally only theories, and even if they are confirmed by Google, one update later and they're back into the theory category.

This is a place to discuss your findings/thoughts, so no need to apologise for doing that very thing.

I do personally believe H's are incredibly small ranking signals - and I was generally asking - have you got any evidence because I would have liked to have seen it. But if it's from personal experience, although I'm glad it's working for you, I still don't think they carry much weight. That's not to say you shouldn't use keywords in your headings, but making the headings engaging is far more important than sticking keywords in them. In my opinion.
    Last edited by matt1966; Feb 14th, 2019 at 10:48 AM.
  23. No Profile Picture

Thanks Matt, agreed. Engagement for the audience, keywords for google... They totally lie anyway haha.

And all of this i think would depend of keyword competition and search volume?

Google advise on light use of keywords i'm sure less than 2% density? But we cram the life out of our site and have not been penalised, if anything it's boosted rankings across the board... This has been done in a certain way which has worked for us and 'fooled' crawl bots......... You're thinking 'yeah right haha".

But yeah, using @media queries in css you are able to hide a lot of content and is still read. Just don't view on anything over 3000px wide or it'll get a bit messy!

Anyway I'm getting off topic!
  25. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Google can tell a lot about a page by its Page Title and headings, which then leads into the content itself.
    You have to think of a page as a newspaper and typically the best format is the H.I.T. format but there will always be exceptions.
    For those who don't know this quite old termanology H.I.T. stands for
    Headline
    Illustration,
    Text.

This traditional format you still see today on pretty much every newspaper you read, its the same on the web as well, however even following this format if you provide bloat content and its just padded out garbage then no matter what format you use it will fail.

I highly recommend using this format with killer content and you will normally find the rewards following.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare | Backlinking 101: Backlinking 101
  27. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Hi digitalmilkshake

This website I am going to show you, I would like you to give me your expert opinion if this is proper use of keywords and h tags for seo.

Is this something you would consider "BLACK HAT" or not??? Isn't the use of invisible keywords, in h tags against Googles TOS.

I will give you three guess as to who's website this is. But I know you don't need 3 guesses, do you ??
    ( btw I would not have found this if it wasn't for an attempt to get a backlink from SeoChat )

My personal opinion of this site is it's using a tons of spammy keywords and black hat tactics to hide them to manipulate the rankings.

I would really like to hear your explanation of the use of these tactics.

This is with css styling intact... on all platforms you see this, I even tested the site with Google's mobile friendly tool.

[IMG][/IMG]

Now here is the same page with styling removed... you see all these spammy keywords.... Is this proper use ???? I would really like to know.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comments on this post

• matt1966 agrees : Oh dear...
    If you have never failed in your life, you have never achieved anything Noteworthy !
  29. No Profile Picture

I'm not quite sure? If it was black hat surely I would of been penalised?

TBH it's been a bit of an experiment with no clear path other than to test whats possible and acceptable. In order to improve you must fail and understand why.

This was built on a WordPress platform two years ago... As widgets are assigned you have the option to include a title for the widget. The widget title comes with an h3 value which we changed to h2. There's a great deal of widget positions on the homepage and some being position:absolute, they overlap.

You can see without any styling it becomes a bit messy... As any site would. So as a visual improvement we made sure that on all screen sizes it looked good and enabled clear communication. This is an @media max-width query and not just a google don't (display:none)... Does this same rule apply when the content is fully visible on larger screens, but improved and reduced for small screens? I don't know, lets find out... Seems okay?

Part of joining this forum was to find out more about SEO and learn from people such as yourselves so really do appreciate your comment.
    Thanks

...As for the link it was posted on a budget marketing thread, I tried to offer a bit of direction and an example of our way of marketing for less.

So what did you think of the site (pre stylesheet deleting)?
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: