Thread: Guidance

    #1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    0

    Guidance


    I purchased a few domain names that I think could potentially have decent traffic. I am using GoDaddy Cash Parking but so far it's not yielding results.

    A couple of the domains would lend themselves to photography and some to dating websites.

    I'm completely brand new at this and have no idea where to start.

    I'd like to do something that is just a basic redirect (vs having content on my site) but again not sure if this is where to start. A lot of the google searches I do seem pretty outdated.

    Any help is appreciated. I'm willing to put in the time/work, I just don't know where to begin.
  2. #2
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    264
    Rep Power
    222
    Heya - Unfortunately, search has moved past where having the domain name and parking alone is enough to bring traffic...I guess the first question is, are you just looking to squat on the domains or are you looking to build a site? The first step is to build an actual site and get a business plan around the site....the easiest way is to resell the domains as websites or get the sites going as affiliate sites but the work that needs to be done is the technology work to build the site, the content work to write all of the content for the site, and then an inbound strategy to attrack links and social social citations.... once the site has 'assets' and build some rankings , you can re-sell if you want or monetize..... not sure if the above is useful but without the exact domain names , hard to give more specific advice...
    "...using this: sages act out of constructs but they do not rely on them"
  4. #3
  5. No Profile Picture
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by whiterabbit
    Heya - Unfortunately, search has moved past where having the domain name and parking alone is enough to bring traffic...I guess the first question is, are you just looking to squat on the domains or are you looking to build a site? The first step is to build an actual site and get a business plan around the site....the easiest way is to resell the domains as websites or get the sites going as affiliate sites but the work that needs to be done is the technology work to build the site, the content work to write all of the content for the site, and then an inbound strategy to attrack links and social social citations.... once the site has 'assets' and build some rankings , you can re-sell if you want or monetize..... not sure if the above is useful but without the exact domain names , hard to give more specific advice...
    I'd eventually like to sell the sites. In the mean time I would like to do affiliate marketing until sold.

    I own:

    byu.singles
    byu.photography
    lds.photography
    mormon.photography
    i-twerk.com (bought more for fun than anything)

    Are most affiliates that you place a script on the site and let it display/redirect, or do you have to make manual content? I'm not looking to make a lot of money, just a few bucks to make things interesting.
  6. #4
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    264
    Rep Power
    222
    hehe... well... I draw a blank on i-twerk.com unless the plan is to sell it to miley cyrus....

    I am not sure that those domains would get click through traffic (is that what you're referring to?)...I think google is still playing catch up with the new TLD's that are making their way around, of which the ones you mention above are an example of .... I am not sure what you mean by manual content...you gotta build a website to get traffic to it, whether the content is manually created or dynamically generated ...you're looking at a bit of investment to get these going, i think.
    "...using this: sages act out of constructs but they do not rely on them"
  8. #5
  9. No Profile Picture
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    0
    Yes, I am looking for dynamically created content. BYU is short for Brigham Young University and LDS is for the Latter Day Saints church, so I thought maybe someone would eventually want to buy the domains.

    What's a good affiliate to get dynamically created content? I just need to start off and I will learn as I go... I know how to build links if that is what you are saying I will need to work at.
  10. #6
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    264
    Rep Power
    222
    the affiliate program does not usually provide the content, you need to create the content plan, whether it be dynamic or manually generated, at least not content that will get the sites ranked. If you're looking to monetize by affiliate, maybe a good first step is to shop some of the big affiliate networks, see if there there is anything that is a fit for what you're looking to accomplish/do. For dating, there may be something, for the faith based stuff...i'm not sure what is out there....i don't practise in that niche...

    Also, this may just be me being paranoid by I would look into BYU and if there are any considerations from the perspective of legalese to keep in mind while establishing a site, in terms of trademarks ,etc...

    If you want to create sites and monetize them, at least from my personal experience, it is gonna take at least some investment... otherwise, you can just squat on the domains and see if a business wants to grab them later on...

    Comments on this post

    • Test-ok agrees
    "...using this: sages act out of constructs but they do not rely on them"
  12. #7
  13. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    7,179
    Rep Power
    4321
    byu.singles
    byu.photography
    lds.photography
    mormon.photography
    Those are subdomains, where did you purchase these?
    are they .com, .org?

    i-twerk.com
    That's a domain

    Comments on this post

    • whiterabbit agrees : hey test-OK ...I was assuming these were the new named TLD's purchased through: http://www.godaddy.com/tlds/photography If I'm wrong, I'm just gonna sinking in my chair in failure lol
  14. #8
  15. Just a Photographer
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Atwater, CA
    Posts
    724
    Rep Power
    1294
    Originally Posted by ccwtech
    I'd eventually like to sell the sites. In the mean time I would like to do affiliate marketing until sold.

    I own:

    byu.singles
    byu.photography
    lds.photography
    mormon.photography

    i-twerk.com (bought more for fun than anything)

    Are most affiliates that you place a script on the site and let it display/redirect, or do you have to make manual content? I'm not looking to make a lot of money, just a few bucks to make things interesting.
    Good luck with trying to sell those. As a photographer it's not likely that anybody will use those as there business name...unless I'm missing something. Now the '.singles'....you might get something there.
  16. #9
  17. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    7,179
    Rep Power
    4321
    I was assuming these were the new named TLD's purchased through: .photography Domains | Register Your Domain Now If I'm wrong, I'm just gonna sinking in my chair in failure lol
    I missed that memo...How new is this?
  18. #10
  19. No Profile Picture
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by whiterabbit
    the affiliate program does not usually provide the content, you need to create the content plan, whether it be dynamic or manually generated, at least not content that will get the sites ranked. If you're looking to monetize by affiliate, maybe a good first step is to shop some of the big affiliate networks, see if there there is anything that is a fit for what you're looking to accomplish/do. For dating, there may be something, for the faith based stuff...i'm not sure what is out there....i don't practise in that niche...

    Also, this may just be me being paranoid by I would look into BYU and if there are any considerations from the perspective of legalese to keep in mind while establishing a site, in terms of trademarks ,etc...

    If you want to create sites and monetize them, at least from my personal experience, it is gonna take at least some investment... otherwise, you can just squat on the domains and see if a business wants to grab them later on...
    I would think that as long as I don't market these as Brigham Young, BYU can stand for almost anything...

    Any suggestions on the 'big affiliates'. Also can you better explain dynamic content to me?
  20. #11
  21. No Profile Picture
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    0
    Yes, through GoDaddy. I think they will catch on, but who knows. It was a cheap investment. And I'd be happy if Miley was interested!

    Comments on this post

    • Hikin Mike agrees : Good luck with the Miley thing...LOL!
  22. #12
  23. Just a Photographer
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Atwater, CA
    Posts
    724
    Rep Power
    1294
    Originally Posted by Test-ok
    I missed that memo...How new is this?
    I only knew about the '.photography' and '.gallery' due to my "industry". I think it started around 6 months ago.
  24. #13
  25. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    264
    Rep Power
    222
    Last year-ish? I don't know exactly..basically, ICANN is allowing for companies to register TLDs ... like .cars .insurance and so forth..
    Last edited by whiterabbit; Aug 2nd, 2014 at 10:14 PM. Reason: typo
    "...using this: sages act out of constructs but they do not rely on them"
  26. #14
  27. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    498
    Rep Power
    234
    some comments on the domains:

    byu.singles - most uni singles don't have trouble meeting singles... they're in uni! bit of a dead end, imho. perhaps gradstudent.dating or something like that would have more potential since at the older age and with fewer peers / novelty in the people you meet, there's greater need.

    does BYU have a photography degree? and do they buy leads online? could be a direction. Maybe also for the university's singles to post photos they've taken (have to moderate out adult content)

    LDS and mormon photography might be good for a photographer doing weddings in that market.

Similar Threads

  1. SEO guidance help
    By harshvb in forum New User SEO Questions and Answers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Jun 10th, 2014, 04:57 AM
  2. What's next? Need a little guidance please:
    By NewSEO2010 in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Jun 16th, 2011, 01:51 AM

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo
//Additionally, paste this code immediately after the opening tag: