Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

The "Great Threads" Thread

In this thread, post links to SEO Chat threads that you think are great in some way. They can be new or old - any thread that taught you to look at a topic in a new light or features a fierce debate; any thread that you think is a great reference for SEO thinkers and chatters is welcome.

We have stickied threads in all of our forum sections, and we also have a great list of threads in the first post of our "welcome new users" thread. Our internal search engine is a good way of digging up gems both old and new.

The purpose of this thread is to collect all the great discussions that aren't stickied, or the old threads that might be overlooked nowadays. If you share a thread in a post below, please try to accompany it with a short 1 - 2 sentence summary of why you think it's great!

Comments on this post

• Pierre Benneton agrees
    • Prof.stan agrees : Good initiations i am sure we will update frequenttly
    • SEOToday agrees
  3. Not An Expert

I'll start with some threads from last year!

1. Link Equity Questions - I think this was one of Tom's first posts! Chedders, fathom, and he chat about link juice, internal linking, and lots of fundamentals that I think any member of SEO Chat would be interested in reading.

2. Sharing my notes from a webinar - bkseo shares some notes from a Conductor webinar about creating a "holiday season SEO strategy." The notes are in an external blog post. The 2016 holiday season is right around the corner - could be interesting to debate if last year's webinar still holds up.

3. This is how Google is killing the Web - "The death of SEO" and "What impact does Google have on the culture of the web?" are two topics on the SEO scene that never seem to die. But I love discussions like this.

4. Video SEO - Video SEO is a topic that I don't understand very well, but I think TPN and ThomasHarvey have an interesting back-and-forth about one aspect of it in the latter half of this thread.

5. How does Instagram work out the Top Posts - Doodled wonders how Instagram sorts popular posts in this thread. He returns in a later post with some clues, and user uefaeuro2016 also thinks they have an idea.

6. Your Site Is Not Mobile Friendly - What Are The Consequences ?? - Ahhh, remember when Mobilegeddon was the hottest topic of last year? There are some really good reflections and impressions about its impact and mobile optimization generally in this thread.

7. What is Whitehat SEO? - This is a very basic question, but it generated a robust debate here. I think there are some fundamentals of SEO in this thread that make it a "must-read" for newbies. Lots of great follow-up and side questions being asked, too.

I have a lot more, but I'll save them for later this week.

Comments on this post

• SEOToday agrees
  5. Entrepreneur
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Mark, I was expecting more from you. I want to add my two favorite threads here those are below mentioned. There are much more but these two I can easily understand and hope also you will like these. If possible then please add this to your thread and remove my post.

Oh, sorry I missed now we have members like Chedders and new member "Knowonespecial" as he is very special and helping in nature.

Save SEO Industry - Go Viral!!
    Three Secrets to making a LOT more money!

Comments on this post

• Will-O-The-Wisp agrees : Good additions, thank you! You're right, I've been lax in adding new threads to this list. I'll make sure to add some soon!
    • SEOToday agrees
    You do your business I do mine because you are you and I am I If we meet it is nice.
  7. Entrepreneur

Following are the more additions
    1. The Ins and outs of SEO Business : This paper is basically for the newbies who are relentlessly looking for an answer but are not able to find one
    2. How much do you charge for SEO? : This is a very good thread for everyone and sees the reply of Pro Buddha, especially for selecting the keywords that very helpful for new members and even for old members.
    3. Frauds with In-house SEOs : It will help you for selecting an appropriate SEO company for your campaign

Comments on this post

• Will-O-The-Wisp agrees : Thank you! Good additions!
    • SEOToday agrees
    Last edited by Prof.stan; Jan 24th, 2017 at 05:49 AM.
    You do your business I do mine because you are you and I am I If we meet it is nice.
  9. Not An Expert

I've been pretty bad at keeping this updated

Well, I dug through my archive of notes and came out with some old threads I've bookmarked:

1. What's the Value of Guest Blog Posting, or Blogs in General?: This thread is a bit of a sprawl, but I think it's still worth a read. One of our members wrote a post that they wanted to get featured on other blogs - one of our great senior members, Fathom, teaches him that trying to get cheap, fake links with guest blogging is a fool's errand. There's a lot more info here about how to use blogs for internal linking, how to handle tags, why having a blog on your own domain is worth the investment, etc.

2. Distributing Quality Content for Links: How do you get your content in front of the right eyes? This is one discussion on that subject. Also, check Fathom's link in post #9 for some of the most important advice you can read about content, blogs, and links.

3. Ad Blockers - the End For Adsense Websites ?? : I'm sure you've heard publishers and webmasters complaining about ad-blockers before. This is a good ground-floor introduction into why they're complaining. How to serve ads, how to get people to accept ads, and what to do about widespread ad-blocking is a really fascinating topic!

4. Consolidating content and ranking factors : Just a great post from Fathom about internal linking and 301 redirects

5. The Mathematics of PageRank: Public PageRank is as dead as a doorknob, but PR is still used internally by Google. It's a mathematical formula - you can actually find it on Wikipedia. We discuss how PageRank works in this thread - and Chedders has some great links to Matt Cutts videos about the topic!

6. Is User Behavior a Ranking Factor?: A contentious topic with lots of debate - which makes for a great thread! How do CTR, dwell time, bounce rate, etc factor into ranking (if at all)? Compared to links, what are their value?

7. Social Media - Is it suitable for every business? : Some businesses really struggle to find value in social media, despite it being held up (sometimes) as a holy grail of digital marketing. Are they just doing it wrong? Is there a way to do social media for every kind of business?

8. Link Bait: What is it, How Does it Work?: Great posts all around from our senior members and mods here about Link Bait. I imagine a lot of newbies have heard that term before but are curious about what it really means and the technical details behind it.

More later! Keep adding your own if you find them!
  11. Not An Expert

Trying out a new "sticky of the week" type function to address commonly asked Newbie questions. Here's the last one - I'll be unsticking it today in favor of a new post.

The Difference Between Being Indexed and Ranking - I can't tell ya how often I see newbies who say "My site isn't indexed" when they really mean "My site is indexed, but isn't ranking on the first page!" There's an essential difference, and if you want to do anything in SEO you really need to understand it.
  13. Entrepreneur

What is Page Authority? - I have noticed that new users also want to ask about DA and PA. See reply from DMN Webmaster that is well answered in this thread, this example will show how this effect in your SEO rankings.

Small Tool - This is one online free tool built by Chedders that I used most and it will help to new bee for analyzing their sites in one go.

Off-Page SEO in 2016 - Quick intro - I know people are alway look for backlinks. Here are some tips by Doodled that needs to followed before approaching backlinks

Comments on this post

• SEOToday agrees
    Last edited by Prof.stan; Feb 10th, 2017 at 04:25 AM.
  15. Not An Expert

A few more recent ones (I'll try and dig back for older ones next week!):

Google and the defamation/ fake reporting websites question. - This is a slightly more advanced topic. "Fake news," and extortion/defamation websites are always all over the web and everyone wonders "Why doesn't Google take them down?" A good conversation about it is being had here.

YouTube Strategy - Love YouTube strategy talk! We don't get enough of it around here - I think this is our most substantive thread on the topic in a few years.

google search console doubts - It's not just disavows that have people scratching their heads after Penguin 4.0 ("Do we even need to do them anymore?") Search Console and Google Analytics are useful for some things, but they are (and in a way always have been) somewhat inadequate in other ways.

Google Search Console Reliability: Webmaster Tools on Trial - More about the reliability of Google tools! They probably aren't showing you all the data that you really want to see - and it's doubtful that will change any time soon. Get data from multiple sources if you want a more complete picture. You might have to pay for some tools.

Comments on this post

• Prof.stan agrees : thank you
    • SEOToday agrees
  17. Entrepreneur

Website creation checklist >> There as some basic and important factors are added here that need to followed before creating a site.

PBNs >> Actually, people always asking about PNB and I believe that will help to users in more details.

What's your favorite method of getting SEO clients? >> I have seen many times new users ask this question and here they will find appropriate answers for this.

Comments on this post

• SEOToday agrees
    Last edited by Prof.stan; Feb 18th, 2017 at 03:31 AM. Reason: more links
  19. Not An Expert

I should add more soon! I'm a bit swamped by my other department, I'll try next week. Anyway:

Your 404s - Google Doesn't Care Like You Think They Do - One of a series where I try to start threads about commonly asked questions. Really though - Chedders' follow-up posts are the true gold of this thread!

Subdomain SEO questions - A great, whirlwind discussion all about subdomains, sub-directories, internal linking, and more.
  21. Entrepreneur

Is Schema.org important for SEO??? - Most of the time new users ask this and I think it will answer their basic questions

Subdomain SEO questions - People generally asks about Subdomain SEO and this thread says everything about this.
  23. Entrepreneur

Link Equity Questions - That will give an idea that how internal link juice follow

How much emphasis do you put on Site Speed? - People commonly ask this question and this is one of the best thread on it.
  25. Entrepreneur

How to protect website against copying >> New users generally as this question several times in this forum and I hope that will help
    Page Authority 1 That will give an idea to new users where we would need to focus on optimizing our sites and other metrics are useless
  27. Not An Expert

I need to add more to this soon, but just wanted to drop by to add one:

Trying to de-index with 410, what is the result supposed to be? - Chedders gives a great explanation in this thread about how 410s work, and the difference between a 410, a 404, and a 301.

Comments on this post

• Prof.stan agrees : good one
  29. Not An Expert

This is a long thread, but a great one: When to stop SEOing

The initial question is answered most directly on the first page and a half or so. After that it digs into more specifics - but those specifics are still quite useful to newbies, I believe. Reading this thread, I think a lot of little tips and tricks can be gleaned that all newbie SEOs can learn from.

And it's a great showcase of how helpful, thoughtful, and knowledgeable our members can be...so I like it a lot for that reason too
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: