Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture

Google Ranking - SEO Novice

Hi. Just joined.

I am trying to figure out why I am not ranking for my keywords in Google.

Site is https://prospectreels.com

I've done a couple site audits and I haven't seen any major issues but, again, I'm a novice on the topic but trying to learn.

I'm sure there will be questions. Please let me know if you see anything technically that would keep me from getting ranked.

Thank you.
    Last edited by prospectreels; Nov 12th, 2017 at 04:26 PM.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hello,

Your title isn't keyword rich, nor is your H1. I'm not actually too sure what your main keyword is to be honest, which isn't a good sign. Although it could be me, I'm quite dosey today lol. I THINK it's "sports highlight videos"?

If I am correct - first thing is first... optimise both your title and H1 as these are important factors to ranking. I would put your main keyword as close to the start of the title as possible.
  5. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Well your site is indexed so it is ranking, the issue will be its not ranking for the keywords you want it to.
    The word that is used the most on the home page is video, now seeing as millions of sites contain videos and will take about them your going to have a tough time ranking well for that word.

Your background image by the way is huge 626kb. The whole page should be less than 100kb if possible (its not always) but also you choice of alt text is not helping either.
    I think you would need to tell us what your trying to rank for because currently its little hard to guess what you think your targeting.

I also ran screaming frog on your site and quite often I get 500 server errors, I assume its because I was putting the server under load and it was struggling to cope. but seeing as its only 23 pages it should have been able to handle that with ease.

I noticed you have a 301 redirect on your site for the page prospectreels.com/author/jswigard/ you really need to sort out the links pointing to that page and change them to where you want the page to goto.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  7. No Profile Picture

Thanks. Yes, it is sports highlight videos. I just changed the homepage. Is that better?
  9. No Profile Picture

Wow, guys. Thanks!

And, thanks, Chedders. How do I fix the 301 directs?
  11. No Profile Picture

Also, Chedders, I can reduce the size of the background image in Photoshop. What is wrong with the alt text?

Amended.... I think I know why the file is so large. I layered my logo on top of it.
    Last edited by prospectreels; Nov 12th, 2017 at 05:01 PM.
  13. Contributing User

I see you're using Yoast. I think the content as a whole lacks the use of your keyword(s), it's not only the title and H1.

Yoasts good for those who are a bit unsure in regards to optimising their content, have you made use of this? E.G. Putting your target keyword in the keyword section? I don't really refer to keyword density anymore, but on this occasion, I went to keyword counter/density checkers to see if robots would work out your target keywords - and they definitely wouldn't be able to.
  15. No Profile Picture

I have used Yoast Free version until about an hour ago. Just upgraded to Premium. Any advice on how to get the robots to sort out the target keywords?
  17. Dinosaur

on prospectreels.com/news/ you have a link to prospectreels.com/author/jswigard/ but if you goto that page it redirects you to the home page.
    You have to decide should the link go somewhere ? or remove the link, having it redirect to the home page is confusing to both users and google.

But lets look at the home page
    It has a title of "ProspectReels | Welcome | A Leader in College Sports Recruiting Videos"
    I dont see your phrase of "sports highlight videos." there
    ok lets look at the H1 tag "Welcome to ProspectReels.com." mmm no clue there really either.

I do see it in the H2 tag but that's less important than the page title and H1 tag so its cant be high priority.
    It appears most tags are geared towards the site name so brand building, this is not a bad thing if thats your intention but in order for people to search for your brand they first need to know about it. I doubt random people will search for ProspectReels without being promoted.
  19. No Profile Picture

Thanks, Chedders. I changed the title to ProspectReels | Sports Highlight Videos | A Leader in College Recruiting

Also changed the Welcome to ProspectReels.com to Welcome to ProspectReels.com. Sports Highlight Videos

On the /author/jswigard, I see what you are talking about but don't know how to change it! I'm using Enfold WP Theme. Not sure how to change that.
  21. Dinosaur

Google tend to treat words to the left as more important, you may want to rearrange the order to improve your chances of ranking for the phrases you want.
  23. Contributing User

I don't know if Yoast would come up on the homepage. I haven't used WordPress in a while, I have a feeling it doesn't.

Look at this screenshot: Yoast.png.

Do you see anything like that when editing the page??

When editing pages, you can enter the keyword(s) you'd like to target and it'll tell you if you're under optimising or over optimising. My Mum actually uses it for her business and she's actually ranking pages quite well LOL. No joke, she couldn't turn a computer on two years ago - so it's pretty effective for newcomers.

But yes, like Chedders has said - the title / H1 deffo need to be sorted!
  25. No Profile Picture

Matt - I do have that and I am trying to adjust content now to get the "green lights" Working on the H1 and title now. Just have to sort the redirects on the posts. I have no idea how that happened or how to fix it but I'm researching.... Thanks guys. This is really helping.
  27. Contributing User

Wordpress is great for plugins. They'll be some form of 301 redirect plugin you could get I should think...
  29. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

In addition to the great advice given here by Chedders and matt1966...let me add my two cents worth ....

I have some suggestions...
    Change >>> Prospect Reels, a division of Prospectsites.com, is a leading sports highlight videos production company.

To >>> Prospect Reels, a division of Prospectsites.com, is a leading college recruitment video production company.

Change >>> we offer the lowest-priced, highest-quality sports highlight videos anywhere… Guaranteed!

To >>> we offer the highest-quality recruitment videos anywhere…Guaranteed!

Forget the lowest price, if these folks are serious about sending their children to college, they will bend over backwards to do so... Now don't get me wrong, you can use the "lowest pricing" on your pricing page. Sometimes being the cheapest is not the best IDEA !

Now I would also suggest you fix the grammar on the page. You may think this is being nit picky, but it is not. It is a sign of your attention to detail and quality. If you can't spell and use grammar correctly, what makes you think parents will trust your services to help get their kids notices by college coaches.

Here is an example... It doesn't read right.
    There is nothing more powerful and impactful to a college coach than high school sports recruiting video.
    Try this instead...
    There is nothing more powerful and impactful to a college coach than a high school sports recruiting video.

All I did is add the word "a" to it. Always read your content out loud.. you will be surprised by what you may have missed. I go back and edit my post all the time for spelling corrections !

I noticed you have quite a few testimonials on your home page. That's great, but you can do better. When you deliver your videos to your clients, ask them to put the reviews on Google instead. This will work to your advantage. All you have to do is include the json/ld markup on your page and the next thing you notice will be Starred Ratings in the SERPS. It is also a ranking factor. Include a postcard type of thing.. offering some sort of discount if they post a review on Google. It works, a lot of folks do it.. that idea by the way is from Chedders, he made mention of it this year in a post here on the forums, at least I think it was Chedders...

If I am wrong, sorry in advance Chedders, but I do want to think it was you, I am giving you the credit anyway...

Look at this picture below... Notice especially the last listing it is from the huffington post. I am not mentioning the article's author by name, I don't want this post to get noticed to much, lol but it is in the url. Approach the huff and see what you can do to get an article from them.. It will not be cheap, but if you were to say, offer a discount to any one that noticed the huffington article and came to your site. As one of our senior mods here, Test-ok, says.. "A link from the Huff Post kicks a$$", a direct quote from him. I also agree with him too !!

Comments on this post

• matt1966 agrees
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: