1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Google is indexing wrong page for search terms not on that page

I’m having a problem … the wrong page is indexing with Google, for search phrases “not on that page”.

Explained … On a website I developed, I have four products. For example sake, we’ll say these four products are:

1. Sneakers (search phrase: sneakers)

2. Boots (search phrase: boots)

3. Sandals (search phrase: sandals)

4. High heels (search phrase: high heels)

Error:

What is going “wrong” is … When the search phrase “high heels” is indexed by Google, my “Sneakers” page is being indexed instead (and ranking very well, like #2). The page that SHOULD be indexing, is the “High heels” page (not the sneakers page – this is the wrong search phrase, and it’s not even on that product page – not in URL, not in H1 tags, not in title, not in page text – nowhere, except for in the top navigation link).

Clue #1 … this same error is ALSO happening for my other search phrases, in exactly the same manner. i.e. … the search phrase “sandals” is ALSO resulting in my “Sneakers” page being indexed, by Google.

Clue #2 … this error is NOT happening with Bing (the proper pages are correctly indexing with the proper search phrases, in Bing).

Note 1: MOZ has given all my product pages an “A” ranking, for optimization.

Note 2: This is a WordPress website.

Note 3: I had recently migrated (3 months ago) most of this new website’s page content (but not the “Sneakers” page – this page is new) from an old, existing website (not mine), which had been indexing OK for these search phrases.

Note 4: 301 redirects were used, for all of the OLD website pages, to the new website.

I have tried everything I can think of to fix this, over a period of more than 30 days. Nothing has worked. I think the “clues” (it indexes properly in Bing) are useful, but I need help.

Thoughts?
  3. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Hi michael,

My first thought would be to check that the 301 redirects from the old site are (all) working correctly.

Presumably you have registered with GSC (GWT) and submitted a sitemap? Does Google list any errors/problems there?

How does your "site search" look on google (site:mysite.com)?

In the "high-heels serps" where your service page is indexed, - check the cache to ensure it's the correct page.

If none of this helps, can you give us the domain name (and the old one) so we can take a closer look?
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by ClickyB
    Hi michael,

My first thought would be to check that the 301 redirects from the old site are (all) working correctly.

The directory above; "Products" for a long time was Forwarding to Sneakers. 3 weeks ago we removed that re-direct. Recently I did go through every other re-direct to make sure they were working correctly and were going 1:1 from the old website. The old website had a "Products" page which had a handful of external links (we are in the process of contacting these websites to change their link).

Presumably you have registered with GSC (GWT) and submitted a sitemap? Does Google list any errors/problems there?

Yes we have. All of the pages are indexed, and there are no major errors. 0 server errors, a handful or soft 404 & Not found (unrelated pages)

How does your "site search" look on google (site:mysite.com)?

Every page appears as expected. The wrong page still appears above the correct page though, in that scenario.

In the "high-heels serps" where your service page is indexed, - check the cache to ensure it's the correct page.

The correct page is indexed.

If none of this helps, can you give us the domain name (and the old one) so we can take a closer look?
    At this time I am unable to share that, but maybe in a private chat down the line if necessary.

-Thanks for your help!